Actual, real Garou: MOTW 2 sprites revealed.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’d play that, if they called it Garou Gaiden, and it was a belt scroller w/ fighting game inputs ala a PGM game.

IGS, make it so!!

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I think it looks ok. That style doesn't suit everything, and admittedly, SOR4 in that style was kinda tough to swallow initially, but I don't think it looks that bad. I'd play it. *shrugs*

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I can't stand that art style at all. Not because of it not being what I consider traditional to MOTW but I just don't like that style in general. I've been so apprehensive on getting SOR4 because of it even though everyone tells me it's a good game. If the art style doesn't appeal to me I'm less inclined to pick it up.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
SOR4 at times look like one of those videogame parody flash videos you'd see on Newgrounds. But it's fine overall...

I just find sad that little by little the sharp, beautiful pixel art techniques of the mid to late 90's by SNK and others are going the way of the Byzantine Flamethrower or the Damascus Steel. Surely some artists are still around for new nostalgia bait games with proper, boner inducing art?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I didn't like SoR4 art at all, and it definitely affected my enjoyment of the game.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Streets of Rage 4 looks TERRIBLE, Street Fighter 4 & 5 look TERRIBLE, the 3D King of Fighters games look TERRIBLE. That mockup picture up there, again - TERRIBLE. This "cell shade" look and 3D are just easier to do, quicker. It takes time, effort and skill to do proper pixel art. It is less profitable to do that nowadays so the companies try to pass this crappy art off as better. But we all know deep down that the games of old look way better. As a result of this need for quick, easy assets, the really great artists are dying off. The pixel art skill is in serious decline. The artists of today are not near as good as they were back in the 90's.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Boss Fur looks like a challenge to animate, due to the coat and the way it's worn. Mockups: the concept cars of game ideas.

Fun.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
WTF?!, I wish they did actual pixel art instead of this crap. Still hoping one day a working proto surfaces.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
SOR4 at times look like one of those videogame parody flash videos you'd see on Newgrounds. But it's fine overall...

I just find sad that little by little the sharp, beautiful pixel art techniques of the mid to late 90's by SNK and others are going the way of the Byzantine Flamethrower or the Damascus Steel. Surely some artists are still around for new nostalgia bait games with proper, boner inducing art?

Exactly - SOR4 is...fine, but it looks like a flash game. I just don't get the appeal of the art style.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Streets of Rage 4 looks TERRIBLE, Street Fighter 4 & 5 look TERRIBLE, the 3D King of Fighters games look TERRIBLE. That mockup picture up there, again - TERRIBLE. This "cell shade" look and 3D are just easier to do, quicker. It takes time, effort and skill to do proper pixel art. It is less profitable to do that nowadays so the companies try to pass this crappy art off as better. But we all know deep down that the games of old look way better. As a result of this need for quick, easy assets, the really great artists are dying off. The pixel art skill is in serious decline. The artists of today are not near as good as they were back in the 90's.

Out of curiosity, do you like 2D/3D style of Guilty Gear Xrd and the new Dragon Ball Fighter Z?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Where's the spectators?
Boss fur reminds me of Mr.Big just a tad...what a shame that he didn't reappear to fight in KOF98 or 2002(in the background was a tease)
BB

Last edited:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Out of curiosity, do you like 2D/3D style of Guilty Gear Xrd and the new Dragon Ball Fighter Z?
They look OK. The real issue is seeing games that were the pinicle of 2D art being redone as 3D, the comparison is just too striking.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I asked because I share your opinion on the whole 2D to 3D transition of many games, but I personally felt the Xrd and DBFZ really nailed it and I like their style a lot.

I thought that if that we really need to transition to 3D models, then the Xrd way is the one to go for me.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
There's a game called Hokutu No Ken (Legend of the North Star) or something on the Dreamcast/Atomisave. It looks great. Im pretty sure its made with 3D assets but rendered in 2D. Now, would I have the same opinion of it if there was a sexy pixel art predecessor? I dunno, probably not

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yes I know that one (I believe the western name is fist of the north star, though), that's one interesting art style, I honestly don't know how it is made, but I believe that Xrd is definitely some kind of evolution of that one. Hokuto no ken has just stronger lines.

I'm in kind of the same boat as you: I loved the hand drawn sprites in KoFXIII but if I had to choose between the abomination of the SFIV-like style and the Xrd approach, I wouldn't complain with the second option.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
KoF XII and XIII were not traditionally hand drawn.

Characters are 3D wire frames, skinned with pixel art.

This labour intensive approach-while less intense than traditional pixel art, is not a high priority or cost effective enough for the current incarnation of SNK to utilize.

I love this style, and also really like the XRD style.

In a perfect world with a perfect ending, (IMHO) the next KoF would be marionette style of Rumble Fish/Rumble Fish 2.