Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Actual, real Garou: MOTW 2 sprites revealed.

NeoGumby's Sycophant

LizardCube (Wonder Boy 3 Remake / SoR4 developers) made a poll last week on which game people wanted to see them make a sequel mock up art for, and the list included Landstalkers, Ghost & Goblins, MotW and Cadilacs & Dinosaurs. MotW won the poll:

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/statu...50433043611650

EsGpM9hXAAgjziX.jpeg

SNK Guru

Gross.
    https://i.imgur.com/qWIG6Q1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by GregN View Post
    Grocery stores are like chinese and mexican places; some of them are local.
    https://i.imgur.com/7Icza5W.png

Id play that, if they called it Garou Gaiden, and it was a belt scroller w/ fighting game inputs ala a PGM game.

IGS, make it so!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeXsound View Post
    Gross.
    agreed

Basara's Blade Keeper
    I think it looks ok. That style doesn't suit everything, and admittedly, SOR4 in that style was kinda tough to swallow initially, but I don't think it looks that bad. I'd play it. *shrugs*
    State of Yo

I think it looks pretty cool.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I can't stand that art style at all. Not because of it not being what I consider traditional to MOTW but I just don't like that style in general. I've been so apprehensive on getting SOR4 because of it even though everyone tells me it's a good game. If the art style doesn't appeal to me I'm less inclined to pick it up.

Robert Garcia's Butler

SOR4 at times look like one of those videogame parody flash videos you'd see on Newgrounds. But it's fine overall...

I just find sad that little by little the sharp, beautiful pixel art techniques of the mid to late 90's by SNK and others are going the way of the Byzantine Flamethrower or the Damascus Steel. Surely some artists are still around for new nostalgia bait games with proper, boner inducing art?
    Play that shit like you just got your motherfucking check and couldn't come pick up the thang-KOF98

Friend me on Facebook!
    I didn't like SoR4 art at all, and it definitely affected my enjoyment of the game.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Streets of Rage 4 looks TERRIBLE, Street Fighter 4 & 5 look TERRIBLE, the 3D King of Fighters games look TERRIBLE. That mockup picture up there, again - TERRIBLE. This "cell shade" look and 3D are just easier to do, quicker. It takes time, effort and skill to do proper pixel art. It is less profitable to do that nowadays so the companies try to pass this crappy art off as better. But we all know deep down that the games of old look way better. As a result of this need for quick, easy assets, the really great artists are dying off. The pixel art skill is in serious decline. The artists of today are not near as good as they were back in the 90's.

Boss Fur looks like a challenge to animate, due to the coat and the way it's worn. Mockups: the concept cars of game ideas.

Fun.

JammaNationX

WTF?!, I wish they did actual pixel art instead of this crap. Still hoping one day a working proto surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Fight!! View Post
    SOR4 at times look like one of those videogame parody flash videos you'd see on Newgrounds. But it's fine overall...

I just find sad that little by little the sharp, beautiful pixel art techniques of the mid to late 90's by SNK and others are going the way of the Byzantine Flamethrower or the Damascus Steel. Surely some artists are still around for new nostalgia bait games with proper, boner inducing art?
    Exactly - SOR4 is...fine, but it looks like a flash game. I just don't get the appeal of the art style.

Krauser's Henchman

fucking god please no.
    Dunkin' fuckin' Donuts!

NAM-75 Vet

Quote Originally Posted by kidchameleon1 View Post
    Streets of Rage 4 looks TERRIBLE, Street Fighter 4 & 5 look TERRIBLE, the 3D King of Fighters games look TERRIBLE. That mockup picture up there, again - TERRIBLE. This "cell shade" look and 3D are just easier to do, quicker. It takes time, effort and skill to do proper pixel art. It is less profitable to do that nowadays so the companies try to pass this crappy art off as better. But we all know deep down that the games of old look way better. As a result of this need for quick, easy assets, the really great artists are dying off. The pixel art skill is in serious decline. The artists of today are not near as good as they were back in the 90's.
    Out of curiosity, do you like 2D/3D style of Guilty Gear Xrd and the new Dragon Ball Fighter Z?

Neo*Geomancer

Quote Originally Posted by fakeXsound View Post
    Gross.
    Indeed. SOF4 had a horrible art style. Seeing Garou in this art style is gross.

Crom, give us strength.

SHOCKbox Developer
    Where's the spectators?
    Boss fur reminds me of Mr.Big just a tad...what a shame that he didn't reappear to fight in KOF98 or 2002(in the background was a tease)
    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 01-20-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

-餓狼伝説弟子-

Quote Originally Posted by wataru330 View Post
    I’d play that, if they called it Garou Gaiden, and it was a belt scroller w/ fighting game inputs...
    +1

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

+100000000

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Quote Originally Posted by donluca View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you like 2D/3D style of Guilty Gear Xrd and the new Dragon Ball Fighter Z?
    They look OK. The real issue is seeing games that were the pinicle of 2D art being redone as 3D, the comparison is just too striking.

NAM-75 Vet

I asked because I share your opinion on the whole 2D to 3D transition of many games, but I personally felt the Xrd and DBFZ really nailed it and I like their style a lot.

I thought that if that we really need to transition to 3D models, then the Xrd way is the one to go for me.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

There's a game called Hokutu No Ken (Legend of the North Star) or something on the Dreamcast/Atomisave. It looks great. Im pretty sure its made with 3D assets but rendered in 2D. Now, would I have the same opinion of it if there was a sexy pixel art predecessor? I dunno, probably not

NAM-75 Vet

Yes I know that one (I believe the western name is fist of the north star, though), that's one interesting art style, I honestly don't know how it is made, but I believe that Xrd is definitely some kind of evolution of that one. Hokuto no ken has just stronger lines.

I'm in kind of the same boat as you: I loved the hand drawn sprites in KoFXIII but if I had to choose between the abomination of the SFIV-like style and the Xrd approach, I wouldn't complain with the second option.

KoF XII and XIII were not traditionally hand drawn.

Characters are 3D wire frames, skinned with pixel art.

This labour intensive approach-while less intense than traditional pixel art, is not a high priority or cost effective enough for the current incarnation of SNK to utilize.

I love this style, and also really like the XRD style.

In a perfect world with a perfect ending, (IMHO) the next KoF would be marionette style of Rumble Fish/Rumble Fish 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

NAM-75 Vet

Quote Originally Posted by wataru330 View Post
    KoF XII and XIII were not traditionally hand drawn.

Characters are 3D wire frames, skinned with pixel art.
    Ah, TIL!

Thread Information