Actual, real Garou: MOTW 2 sprites revealed.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Very cool, this interview could become the best ad for 14 yet, there's so much love & dedication... and that "capoeira dancer" chara is a great concept idea, always liked Salgueiro's moves.

I hope this one is Joe's disciple, in which case, Muay Thai!
This is so bittersweet, one of the most painful could have beens.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Nothing interesting in that interview about Garou MotW 2.

Basically Oda says since he's asked to do a Garou game everywhere he goes, doing a sequel one day is not to be considered impossible.

Writings below the pic just confirms its official, and it's from a first-stage development of the abandoned game. That's it.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
View attachment 36978

Source:

http://www.orochinagi.com/2016/06/garou2-sprites-revealed?fb_ref=Default
...That officially puts the kibosh on that "proto" screen with Mr. Karate being legit. Its pretty awesome that Oda was able to release this, and you definitely get a feel that with him and his team there, its a bit like the old SNK again. You can tell they really give a shit and care about the history of the company and their work there.

Thanks for sharing this. I think those old MOTW2 Mr. Karate photos may still be legit, he could have been added after or before (and removed) from that sprite roster. Who knows what SNK was doing with that title at the time. The most exciting part of this interview is the desire for a new Fatal Fury, World Heroes, and ART of Fighting. All I can say is, YES PLEASE.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
The guy 2nd from the the last character looks like Silber cool none the less. Would of been awesome had it come out.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Amazing. I am curious of the 2nd on the bottom far left. Either relation to Blue Mary, or her in a older age. That bottom middle character is interesting to. Perhaps a brother Rock didn't know he had, or maybe someone else entirely. Wouldn't it be nuts if the 2nd to far bottom right was Geese himself? Looks a bit omega rugal like in design.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
thank you for posting those sprites - wish there was more. Good interview too, shame there wasn't a lot on MOTW2 or old SNK, but the future is now... I'm definitely looking forward to what they're gonna do next.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Since there's chat of maybe a new Fatal Fury, AOF, and World Heroes down the line here's an idea: Fatal Fury prequel that's takes place right before AOF 2. This way it could have: Jeff Bogard (based off his anime character design), AOF2 style young Geese, Krauser like his anime counterpart-no mustache. And basically a lot of characters we haven't seen since early FF & AOF games, Street Smart, Burning Fight, etc. Maybe SNK could allow people to vote on who should show up. I would want the play mechanics to be a cross Fatal Fury 2/Special & KOF '98: 2 planes of battle, running, etc. Thematically the Fatal Fury prequel would be like Street Fighter Alpha/Zero.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Since there's chat of maybe a new Fatal Fury, AOF, and World Heroes down the line here's an idea: Fatal Fury prequel that's takes place right before AOF 2. This way it could have: Jeff Bogard (based off his anime character design), AOF2 style young Geese, Krauser like his anime counterpart-no mustache. And basically a lot of characters we haven't seen since early FF & AOF games, Street Smart, Burning Fight, etc. Maybe SNK could allow people to vote on who should show up. I would want the play mechanics to be a cross Fatal Fury 2/Special & KOF '98: 2 planes of battle, running, etc. Thematically the Fatal Fury prequel would be like Street Fighter Alpha/Zero.

I honestly feel that a new Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or especially World Heroes is not going to happen. Just a pipe dream. Sure it would be great if there was another FF or AOF made in the future, I just don't think there is enough interest from consumers for anyone to want to produce such a game. If SNKP is pretty sure they will lose money making a game, why would the start to develop it? It's hard enough for SNKP to get consumers interested in new KOF games, and that is probably SNK's biggest franchise. Just because people here at NG are interested, doesn't mean the gaming community as a whole is interested. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Oda on Nakoruru: "KOF94 was being developed simultaneously as Samurai Shodown and nobody imagined that Nakoruru would be such a hit character. So in the root of the KOF game engine, there was no way to place (player controllable) sprite objects other than the main character, like the weapons and the hawk. The core engine was inherited into the sequels even after 95 and beyond, so I think the truth is that they couldn't add Nakoruru even if they wanted to"
Genjuro from SVC Chaos says hi

Also, that third sprite after Kain looks like Rock with a suit. It reminds me of Geese suited up

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I honestly feel that a new Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or especially World Heroes is not going to happen. Just a pipe dream. Sure it would be great if there was another FF or AOF made in the future, I just don't think there is enough interest from consumers for anyone to want to produce such a game. If SNKP is pretty sure they will lose money making a game, why would the start to develop it? It's hard enough for SNKP to get consumers interested in new KOF games, and that is probably SNK's biggest franchise. Just because people here at NG are interested, doesn't mean the gaming community as a whole is interested. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Yeah, but we live in a kickstarter era. A huge potential advantage to get something off the ground.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Yeah, but we live in a kickstarter era. A huge potential advantage to get something off the ground.

An excellent point. Despite never having seen anything on Kickstarter I'd want to put money in to up to this point, I couldn't get my wallet out quickly enough to back ANY old school SNK franchise, MOTW2 more than any other.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Sure, my thoughts are the dreams of a fanboy.. But, maybe, just maybe if the right person reads this thread it might just get some thinking going.

The benefit of SNK doing fighters in CGI is much less time & resources into a dev cycle. So, once character models are created they can a lot easier & quicker tweak and build off of them for future games. Some models in KOFXIV could easily be the
base for a new Fatal Fury.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I don't know if this is old news, but I found this interesting post about a pixel art tool that SNK used back in the days:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208105584&postcount=136

sS14UU4.png

yfJc04E.jpg

o1uCKEL.png

0HO9Zmp.png

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
That's really freaking cool. I've wondered for a long time what tools they used to make such amazingly detailed pixel art.

xsq

yeah, thanks for the post k'_127.

barto

Overtop Pathfinder
Very cool and interesting, love the yellow snk uniform the guy is wearing lol

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member

I would *seriously* support any kickstarter meanwhile it would be for the authentic Neogeo. I don't give a shit about polygons, textures and that crap.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I would be totally shocked if they launched a Kickstarter for this. Who even knows if they still have the hardware and software (as seen above) to make a Neo Geo game anymore?

Its clear that their direction is current hardware. In the very, very small chance MOTW2 gets finished, it would never see the light of day on actual Neo-Geo hardware.

xsq

Who even knows if they still have the hardware and software
let alone the knowledge... I bet a lot (if not all) has been lost because it was not documented. Imagine having to work with a program/language you haven't touched for over 10 years - nah, too much of a hassle (unless they hire NG Dev and Neobitz ^^). We can dream, but that's how far it will go.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure there was plenty of documentation on the technical aspects, and they keep that stored away in a file cabinet somewhere.

That said, documentation can never replace artistic ability.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Im underwhelmed by the new character sprites, but the fact that MOTW2 could possibly happen in the future at some point is cool. MOTW would do better IMO than a new World Heroes or AOF. A new FF outside of MOTW would be great too, alot of ppl still think of Terry from FF.