Question for all the pro shmup players

xorthen

Banned
If you can play Battle Garegga, Cave shooters, etc and play them very well or masterfully then you are a pro .

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you can play Battle Garegga, Cave shooters, etc and play them very well or masterfully then you are a pro .

I'm not sure if I do or not, someone else would have to judge. I just play them.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
We don't even need to go there. I'm a shmup enthusiast and I suck at them. I still love them and the insane difficulty levels, though. I only play on the hardest settings on all boards, so maybe I don't suck as bad as I think? Nah, I'd probably still score badly.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I also love shooters, but I'm certainly no pro by any stretch.
Like KP I suck at fighters I really detest the genre.
I also gotta disagree with xorthen on his definition of difficult.
Personally I find a lot of the cave shooters tough but not overly difficult, some of the 16 bit MD shooters on the other hand I find hard as nails. And i never play any shooter on hard, I'm far to much of a lightweight.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Question for the pro shmup player

Puzzle Bobble.
Anything that involves figuring out where to go and what to do next.

Chempop

Hmmm I see what you did there.

but for realz, world maps, backtracking, and inventory management makes me uncomfortable.

jtucci31

n00b
We don't even need to go there. I'm a shmup enthusiast and I suck at them. I still love them and the insane difficulty levels, though. I only play on the hardest settings on all boards, so maybe I don't suck as bad as I think? Nah, I'd probably still score badly.

Why do you prefer the hardest difficulty? I've heard that of multiple people before that they like doing that. I usually just stick to whatever difficult a game gives me (not that I play any boards) and then raise the difficulty if it's too easy upon the first couple of runs.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Why do you prefer the hardest difficulty? I've heard that of multiple people before that they like doing that. I usually just stick to whatever difficult a game gives me (not that I play any boards) and then raise the difficulty if it's too easy upon the first couple of runs.

I think it would be best to play at default difficulty so everyone has a point of reference to compare to. Sometimes this is hard cause JP developers like to make it easier or harder for various reasons on international/US, usually the latter.

Last edited:

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't have a problem with most shooters or the types of games I'm interested in. It's stuff like sims, sports and puzzle games that I have a hard time staying focused on long enough to get good at them. I'd just rather spend my time on games that are fun for me without having to try to get into it.

That's what I like about most Neo Geo and arcade games. They're made to draw you in fast and are easy to get into. If I was still in high school and had the summer off, I'd play a lot more of the kinds of games I'm not crazy about. But the older I get, the more valuable my free time becomes.

Shooters may have a lot of variety, but they really benefit from playing off of the same skills you learn from each game. I also played every one I could bitd, so I find the genre pretty easy compared to others. I never feel like I have to 'get into the zone' with shooters, because I'm always as in as I'm going to be.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
RPG's - I have a soft spot for their pulpy stories, but the random battle game mechanic is hard to digest. I die too often, to stay motivated. Also: STG player, yes, but not a pro, tho I die a lot less here.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm awful/clueless to everything outside of shooting, fighting, belt scroll and action/platform games.

Silvergun7

n00b
I can professionally play DOJ No Bullet Mode :lolz:

I suck at RPG and Strategy games to the max but I do still enjoy some regardless. In general any game that requires any sort of deep submanagement I suck at now since I've gotten older and don't have the time or will to put effort into said systems

Chempop

Took me over 10 years to find one. Strangely 2 appeared on YAJ not long ago and I was happy to finally score one.

xorthen

Banned

I've always fallen into this category. I like shmups but I don't consider myself an expert at all. I actually am critical of some of them and I don't like some of the ones that everyone else praises. Battle Garegga is a prime example of a shmup I just never found the appeal of. I mean, I guess it looks nice, but it doesn't really feel that great to me personally, it just doesn't resonate with me.