Happy 25th Birthday, Sonic!!!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sonic has always remained one of my favorite game franchises despite his recent string of bad games the last 10 or so years. The platform games on the Genesis and Sega Cd are his best games by far. Generations, Colors, Adventure, Lost World and to a lesser extent Unleashed all show how Sonic can work in a 3d environment. And most his stuff on the handhelds from his game gear days to the Sonic Rush series have been good for the most part as well. Really his only big blunders was trying to go 3d in the Saturn days, and his really bad string of games in the mid 2000s and Sonic Boom.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I remember as a teenager playing this for the first time on my Genesis and being in awe. I liked the music so much I put a blank cassette tape in a boom box, held it up to the TV, and hit "record" and listened to it on the boom box. :keke:

I don't know if I ever beat it though.

Sonic has always remained one of my favorite game franchises despite his recent string of bad games the last 10 or so years. The platform games on the Genesis and Sega Cd are his best games by far. Generations, Colors, Adventure, Lost World and to a lesser extent Unleashed all show how Sonic can work in a 3d environment. And most his stuff on the handhelds from his game gear days to the Sonic Rush series have been good for the most part as well. Really his only big blunders was trying to go 3d in the Saturn days, and his really bad string of games in the mid 2000s and Sonic Boom.

Were the GameGear and NGPC games worth playing?

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Most of the game gear Sonic titles were good. I actually like the sound chip on that system and the core Sonic game play is there.

Never played any of the Neo Geo Pocket titles so no opinion those but if they were similar to the GG ones then they should be good too. Sonic Advance on GBA and Rush on DS series was good too.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Happy B-day, Sanic

Ghyi9nL.jpg

-SD-

Camel Slug
Sonic Pocket is a great game. I need to give it another go as I'm sure there's a couple of puzzle pieces I missed.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I remember as a teenager playing this for the first time on my Genesis and being in awe. I liked the music so much I put a blank cassette tape in a boom box, held it up to the TV, and hit "record" and listened to it on the boom box. :keke:

I don't know if I ever beat it though.

Were the GameGear and NGPC games worth playing?

The Game Gear Sonics are mostly good but Sonic 2 is extremely difficult due to the screen resolution. The Game Gear versions are slightly lower res versions of the Master System ones. So I would highly recommend playing Sonic 1, 2, and Chaos on Master System rather than Game Gear.

Sonic Triple Trouble was a Game Gear exclusive and it's awesome.

Sonic Blast was designed for Game Gear and ported to SMS, so the GG version is fine in that case. The game itself is much slower than an average Sonic, though.

Pocket Adventure for NGPC is amazing. It's mostly based on Sonic 2 (Genesis) but has some elements from 3&K as well as CD.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Here's how I see the Sonic series as a whole

Masterpiece tier:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16 bit)
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog (16 bit)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Great tier:
Knuckles' Chaotix
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Generations (console/PC)
Sonic Colors Wii
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Advance
Sonic Spinball

Good tier:
Sonic Lost World Wii U
Sonic Lost World 3DS
Sonic Chaos
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8 bit)
Sonic the Hedgehog (8 bit)
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Generations (3DS)
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Riders
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle
Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn version is miles better than the Genesis version)
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Tails' Adventure
Tails' Skypatrol
Sonic Colors DS

Average tier:
Sonic Blast
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Sonic: The Fighters
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 and Episode Metal
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Below average tier:
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic R
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Shit tier and below:
Sonic '06
Sonic Genesis (mangled port of Sonic 1)
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Sonic Drift

Last edited:

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Happy belated birthday, Sonic. Here's to your twitter account to remain fucking hilarious and for your games to stop being shit (although apparently the Sonic Boom 3DS one is at least not terrible? Can't tell, never played it.)

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to play Sonic Spinball for a bit, because that game is nuts, a little insane, and just overall great. Most of the Genny Sonic games are pretty good, S&K3 in particular I remember being just blown away by the... well, everything, really. The music still gives me huge nostalgia fits. That lava boss, man.

Also, Sonic Pocket. I have it, I should play it a bit. Sonic Pocket deserved more love.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Wasn't there a patch for the PC version of 06 that fixed alot of the issues with the borked gameplay?

I don't think there was ever a PC version of 06.

The closest thing to a fix I heard of was installing the 360 version to the hard drive, but that only helped with the atrocious load times.

xorthen

Banned
Sonic 2? You need to go back and play Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles!

I did. I don't remember really caring for them. I mean, they aren't bad but they just didn't have the same impact as Sonic 2 did when I got it for Christmas back in the day with the Genesis bundle.

xorthen

Banned
Hey guys, speaking of sonic, do you remember this hilarious anomaly of nature?

266.jpg

Yun

New Challenger
^ looks like the kid dressed as Sonic on the magazine picture. Who is he?

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Ah, Chris Chan. Trust me, you'll have to look into that yourself, there's really not enough space on this forum to explain it :lolz:
In short: Autistic dude obsessed with Sonic, Pokemon, and other games, who has his TRUE AND HONEST ORIGINAL CHARACTER Sonichu, which lives in a fictional world in his comics together with other abominations. The comics are absolute dogshite and a look inside of his insane mind.

This is Christine and a "friend" anno 2015. Warning, picture is not safe for your sanity. You've been warned.
Spoiler:
Christine_4cd8aa_5578620.jpg