a question on backups

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
So I have been making backups of my SegaCD games. I have seen issues with burning, and have seen that people use something like four programs, changing file types, and whatnot. Just for shits and giggles, I tried making a quick copy of some of the games at work. They all seen to work flawlessly. No crazy load times, no video or audio issues, or anything else that I have noticed. I have not played all the way through any of the copies yet. Not a big deal for keio or lords of thunder, but what about games like lunar, shining force and longer games? I currently don't have time to play all the way through game like this. Will I have issues later in these games, or problems that don't show up immediately? I used TY media, and roxio creator. I made copies and images, both seem to work equally well. Most of the research I have done points to problems, but these things work awfully damn great from my initial tests.

Thanks

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Quality media and slow burn rates are usually a recipe for success. That said, I've never burned any Sega CD games so I don't have specifics about those in particular.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Shit, that's one reason I asked. The lowest burn speed I could set was 24x. The actual burn speed varied between about 6 to 20. I read somewhere(might have been here), that along with slow, a steady burn speed was required. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Has anyone else tried to use the roxio burner? Any opinions on it?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
The only compliant I've really heard about early CD games is that burned discs are harder to read on the original game system laser mech versus an original pressed game disc. Meaning the system laser will wear out quicker. BUT at this point I'm not sure if there's any facts behind that claim or just rumor to scare off people from burnering games.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The only compliant I've really heard about early CD games is that burned discs are harder to read on the original game system laser mech versus an original pressed game disc. Meaning the system laser will wear out quicker. BUT at this point I'm not sure if there's any facts behind that claim or just rumor to scare off people from burnering games.

Tales to boost sales for resellers. I've haven't had any problems using CDRs with my consoles at all.

Anyway, if you're ripping your own games, rip as slow as your burner will allow. Same with burning. My drive will go as low as 8x.

I use IMGBurn or CloneCD for burning.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
rip as slow as your burner will allow.

This I was not aware of, I just let the drive read at default settings. Are there any issues that come about specifically because of ripping too fast?
(I could look this up, probably should)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My advice:

If what you did worked, don't overthink it and start messing with stuff. Getting these old systems to read a CDR is a magical mess of finding the right CD Burner, software, settings, and media. These things may change with every burner and system, what works for one may not work for another. When you find a good combination stick with it!

Personally what I do is use IMGBurn (I think) to rip to BIN/CUE files, which should be perfect rips, and then I can either burn a new CD (also with IMGBurn) or copy them to my Raspberry Pi for emulation. Also, I always use Taiyo Yuden discs. With other media I had issues that one Sega CD might work with it but another won't, but Taiyo pretty much always works as long as the burn was good.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
That's kinda what I was thinking Gohan. I wasn't sure if it was a too good to be true situation, or sunshine and dog ass thing. Hopefully the latter. Thanks for the input