N64 is 20 years old today!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
This really isn't going to help people thinking me and madman are the same person, but bugger it. NINTENDO SIXTY-PHOURR! :D

The N64 came out in Japan on the 23rd of June 1996. A console I loved mainly because it felt more 'NEXT GEN' than the Playstation or Saturn did in the same era. First time I saw Wave Race 64's water effects (I know, they look super lame now) my jaw literally dropped. I was a sega fanboy so I tried to play it down, but by that Xmas I had one of my own.

The N64 was home to best games that RARE ever made. Goldeneye, Banjo, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini (to be honest I don't really like that last one but other folks seem to). RARE may have been a poor shadow of their former selves under Microsoft's portofolio, but in the late 90's to early 00's they felt untouchable. (Literally the best thing Rare have released in 15 years would be that Rare Retro Replay complication on Xbox One.)

N64 brought us 4 player local multiplayer with Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye, it closed the bridge between PC and consoles at the time with the Quake and Turok series looking as good on console as they did on PC's in that era, it showed us what real 3D platforms would look like. Sure in 1996 the Saturn had Nights, the playstation had Crash Bandicoot but the N64 had Super Mario 64 which was in a league of it's own offering true 360 control in a virtual world.

And were would those 3d worlds be without analogue control? I know the others caught on too but it was standard with all N64 consoles and games.

It wasn't all rosy. The blur on some games was bad, cartridges were expensive (not that would put Neo Geo Gamers off), 3rd party support was poor and you couldn't have a memory card and a rumble pack inserted at the same time... But it was progress. A true generational jump in progress I don't think I'll see again in my lifetime. Unless VR like on Star Trek becomes a thing.

N64, I salute you. :buttrock: Now Nintendo please return to your roots for the NX. K thx bye.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
here we go N64 thread #293

here's how it'll go down:

someone: yah N64 had some cool games dae goldeneye

someone else: goldeneye sucks and always sucked and i suck cocks too

smokehouse: well N64 was shit...and SNES was best of all time...and Genesis was terrible...someone get me anti-depressants before i shoot myself...

another shlub: n64 came out in the right time of my life

seriously wtf is it with this goddamned forum and making a 64 circlejerk thread every month

edit: oh it's an old member hey madmanjock

also

A true generational jump in progress I don't think I'll see again in my lifetime.

you chub have you even tried the Vive or whatever 3d helmets are out there

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
:oh_no:Two madman's that don't like me, both N64 fans.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

smokehouse: well N64 was shit...and SNES was best of all time...and Genesis was terrible...someone get me anti-depressants before i shoot myself...

seriously wtf is it with this goddamned forum and making a 64 circlejerk thread every month

also

LOL...

(For the record, I really don't think the Genesis is terrible at all)

No one has sent me any pills yet...and that's some bullshit...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have a fond spot for it, as I grew up with the system and got one with mario kart and SM64 for Christmas 1996 ish. Still gets some play, especially with the RGB mod that Kiel hooked me up with.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Since Goldeneye was mentioned I will say that I did spend a lot of time playing it. However, I did not even think of posting that until I read Lone Sage's post.

DKR was fucking awesome, always loved that game to death. Really sucks they didn't make a part 2, but at the same time I'm kind of glad about that. Banjo Kazooie was also really good, so thankful that Yuuka Lay-lee is coming out. That game looks amazing. I never got to play Tooie, but I just got Rare Replay so I'll definitely be getting around to it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't like you? I wouldn't say that. I don't actually remember you from way back (not me being a dick, just was along time ago)... did you used to have a different name?

Don't worry about it, that's just ResO the attention seeker seeking attention. This thread is about the N64, but ResO wants to make it about ResO.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

also

Just wanted to say that this is an awesome post. Any my friend got one of those Vive things and he fucking loves it. Thinks it's going to be the future of gaming. I haven't tried it yet.

Don't worry about it, that's just ResO the attention seeker seeking attention. This thread is about the N64, but ResO wants to make it about ResO.

Sorry, ResO, but I have to side with madman on this one. WTF was the point of your post?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I've already said my piece about the 64 (a vaseline-covered, low-poly garbage fire with Mario 64 and Zelda OoT walking out of it like Daenerys Targaryen) but one thing I didn't mention before is that the 64 definitely holds the championship belt for biggest initial wow factor when you first saw it. At the time Mario 64 came out, no one had seen anything remotely like it and it gave off a tremendous first impression when you saw it in a demo station, in a magazine or otherwise. Same with Pilotwings to a lesser degree.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've already said my piece about the 64 (a vaseline-covered, low-poly garbage fire with Mario 64 and Zelda OoT walking out of it like Daenerys Targaryen) but one thing I didn't mention before is that the 64 definitely holds the championship belt for biggest initial wow factor when you first saw it. At the time Mario 64 came out, no one had seen anything remotely like it and it gave off a tremendous first impression when you saw it in a demo station, in a magazine or otherwise. Same with Pilotwings to a lesser degree.

You know whats funny? My experience is the total opposite.

I had been renting PS1 systems off and on in late 1995/early 1996 and had played many of the early titles for the system. Ridge Racer and Wipeout really blew me away at the time. The were both great racing games, but the speed and "multimedia" experience of the time made it a total package.

I bought my N64 along side Mario the week it came out. When I got it home, hooked it up, and turned on the game...greeting me was this dumb tech-demo'esq Mario face. After I screwed with it for about 20 horribly boring and pointless seconds, I went into the game.

Mario standing there in a vast, mostly empty field accompanied by canned cart based elevator music was a total letdown. Once you do start running around, the controls were good enough but the game is just so plain. You walk into a huge, mostly empty castle and you're greeted with...walls. Level after level is often rather barren of anything outside of a mountain or some hills. There often isn't much going on (and yes, I layer the game all the way through).

The entire thing just felt bland and rather boring. Coming hot off of the masterpiece that was Super Mario World of the insane level of detail that was Mario World 2, Mario 64 felt like a half finished game; sacrificing detail and the gameplay Mario was known for just for the sake of being 3D.

Long story short, really nothing about it or the system blew me away.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member

Thats exactly how I feel with the Dreamcast..... wowed me to hell big time. N64 is cool. Never owned it but I respect what nintendo was trying to do at the time with it.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Someone get smokehouse anti-depressants before he shoots himself.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thats exactly how I feel with the Dreamcast..... wowed me to hell big time. N64 is cool. Never owned it but I respect what nintendo was to do at the time with it.

The DC wowed the hell out of me when it came out. So did the GameCube, on that note.

The Xbox and PS2? Yeah, not so much...

Someone get smokehouse anti-depressants before he shoots himself.

No shit...goddammit....

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Still some of my favorite gaming memories, all thanks to the N64 and the awesome games on it. No, it's not perfect, but it's wonderful in its own way.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Guys do you think the n64 was overrated?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Mario standing there in a vast, mostly empty field accompanied by canned cart based elevator music was a total letdown. Once you do start running around, the controls were good enough but the game is just so plain. You walk into a huge, mostly empty castle and you're greeted with...walls. Level after level is often rather barren of anything outside of a mountain or some hills. There often isn't much going on (and yes, I layer the game all the way through).

The entire thing just felt bland and rather boring. Coming hot off of the masterpiece that was Super Mario World of the insane level of detail that was Mario World 2, Mario 64 felt like a half finished game; sacrificing detail and the gameplay Mario was known for just for the sake of being 3D.

Long story short, really nothing about it or the system blew me away.

This echoes my sentiments about Super Mario 64, and about the Nintendo 64 in general. My friend got it at launch, I came over and played it, and just felt "meh" about it. It still blows my mind that Nintendo went from the SNES to that. I keep getting requests to do a "Launch of the Nintendo 64" episode, and I kinda don't want to do it.