Intermittent no sound from dedicated MVS 2 Slot (MVS-2)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
After my last move my MVS cab had no sound. I cleaned the jamma harness and tried multiple PCBs and there was still no sound. One day the sound came back so I had no complaints.

Recently sometimes after the cab has been on awhile the sound goes out. If I power the cab off and back on, the sound comes back...

I've jiggled every wire and have no idea what the issue is? Since powering off and on makes it come back and it's not my motherboard, is this a PSU issue? Any advice?

Thanks in advance, guys.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Nobody?

I'll probably just deal with it for now. :/

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check your 12v level. Even if it's fine, it sounds like either the power supply is dying or the 7805 on the MVS board is dying. But if it's a 2 slot, you can just convert it to run off just 5v but you need the 12v for the audio amp unless you are using the stereo header.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Check your 12v level. Even if it's fine, it sounds like either the power supply is dying or the 7805 on the MVS board is dying. But if it's a 2 slot, you can just convert it to run off just 5v but you need the 12v for the audio amp unless you are using the stereo header.

I have a 6-Slot motherboard. On my MVS harness my 12v is measuring 10.47, and my 5v is at 5.17

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
That 12v level seems much too low. Do you have an adjustable PSU?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a 6-Slot motherboard. On my MVS harness my 12v is measuring 10.47, and my 5v is at 5.17

As long as the 12v line is at least 9v, usually you are fine but having a low voltage sometimes is an indication of a dying PSU. Try turning down the 5v line to 5.00v and it should raise the 12v line to maybe 11v ish. If that makes no difference then it could be the board itself but try doing the 5V mod to it and see if it fixes the problem.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
The PSU is not adjustable that I can see. :/

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think I'll order a new PSU. It can't hurt, I figure.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Probably not the problem, but try cleaning the potentiometers with some rubbing alcohol and q-tips/sliding them in and out. I can't believe how filthy they get.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Probably not the problem, but try cleaning the potentiometers with some rubbing alcohol and q-tips/sliding them in and out. I can't believe how filthy they get.

The only pots I see in my cab are the rgb contrast, , black level, vertical sync, horizonal sync, etc. the psu isn't adjustable. If you mean the audio slider, it has no dead spots, but I was having this same audio problem with other arcade boards in the cab. :(

nic034

n00b
Hello,

Audio capacitors on mvs PCB's (all models) can be the main problem source for audio intermittent/complete audio issues (with power source quality)
First step for me when receive an MVS PCB : clean the PCB with little brush, pots, cartridge slot and the most important replace all capacitors.(respect Farad values, for voltage you can use the nearest value).

Always check PCB with supergun before using a cab.

Bye
Nic034

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Just trying to narrow this down. The sound works when I turn the machine on, but after a few hours of being on there is no more sound. If I flip the power off and back on sound comes back.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

What the heck is wrong with my Neo cab??? :crying:

I'm pretty darn certain it isn't my 6-slot mobo. I'll hook it up to my supergun and see if the sound goes out after a few hours, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
It's a 6 slot? Then it's your power supply.

I decided to take out my 6 slot and give the slots a heavy cleaning with glass cooktop cleaner on a cloth wrapped around a credit card. The slots of course did get cleaner, and I followed this up with a rubbing alcohol cleaning to remove any residue.

I reinstalled my carts, cleared the backup ram, and reinstalled my carts. For some reason SSV in the 5th slot wasn't giving any sound so I gave that cart a heavy duty cleaning too. Still no sound from that cart in the 5th slot. I moved it to the first and sound worked, as well as testing numerous other carts in the 5th slot and no sound problems either.

I'm starting to think that the SSV being present in my board is what's causing the eventual sound issues. Anybody else ever had an SSV sound issue, and is there a quick fix suck as removing a jumper or adding a jumper wire? I remember SNK was repairing ROTD carts with a jumper wire fix. And I'm hoping that there's something similar if this is a problem cart?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I had a similar problem in my 4-slot. All games would work but after cycling through, the sound would just die. It was always when I had something like KOF00, Sengoku 3 or one of the later games with the CHAFIO board.

I didn't spend too long on the problem to be honest, but when I took that cart out I never had a problem, so those games I just play in my 1-slot now. I read lots of posts saying the M1 could be dying on the carts, but they all work flawless on my 1-slot so I put it down to a conflict of carts.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I had a similar problem in my 4-slot. All games would work but after cycling through, the sound would just die. It was always when I had something like KOF00, Sengoku 3 or one of the later games with the CHAFIO board.

I didn't spend too long on the problem to be honest, but when I took that cart out I never had a problem, so those games I just play in my 1-slot now. I read lots of posts saying the M1 could be dying on the carts, but they all work flawless on my 1-slot so I put it down to a conflict of carts.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to agree that it's most likely a conflict of later carts and multis. This sound issue didn't start until I put SSV in my cab and ut didn't dawn on me until now. It's unfortunate that there's only one board revision of the game. I'll have to buy a bootleg with custom PCBs, put my authentic cart away on the shelf and see if it fixes the issue.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It might be worth taking SSV out and just have a full set of 6 carts that don't have the CHAFIO board and see if the problem still happens, at least then you know for sure.