How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

• Total voters

xorthen

Banned
You know, the ones where you get hit one time and you have to restart from either a check point or from the beginning of the stage.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've always found it annoying. I much prefer respawn shmups.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Same, those 1 hit shmups get on my nerves.

I'll still play them, but they drive me nuts. I havn't played Pulstar in awhile, but I think it was one of "these" games. Was Blazing Star as well? I can't recall why, but I played Pulstar much more. I think Blazing star had auto fire or something which for some reason I kinda' felt was cheating/noob at the time.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
It certainly makes playing Gradius a lot more challenging!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
"1 hit shmup" sounds absurd.

Don't play older shooters if you don't like check points.

xorthen

Banned
Gradius is probably the easiest of these type of shmups. I am talking about billions of bullets flying at you, then you get hit and you restart the stage or check point. These are easily the most frustrating and the ones I like least. I can only try to learn so much before I just say fuck it and give up. There are too many bullets on screen, the hit box is too confusing to get used to on certain games. Same reason I sold AES copy of Pulstar years ago. I bought it expecting it to be some great game and it turned out being an over rated turd.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
bit of a misleading title there xorthen lol. at first i thought you was asking whether we liked shmups that kill you in one hit or not, in which i was trying to think of all the shmups where the player has a life bar. but yeah, pretty much what reso said. another problem i have with the non respawning shmups is that most i've played have long levels. so it all turns in to the level memorisation game, which i don't find it to be much fun

Gradius is probably the easiest of these type of shmups. I am talking about billions of bullets flying at you, then you get hit and you restart the stage or check point. These are easily the most frustrating and the ones I like least. I can only try to learn so much before I just say fuck it and give up. There are too many bullets on screen, the hit box is too confusing to get used to on certain games. Same reason I sold AES copy of Pulstar years ago. I bought it expecting it to be some great game and it turned out being an over rated turd.

for me gradius is an exception. for some reason memorising the levels is super fun with gradius and life force.

and you didn't like pulstar?.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I think whats worse than what you describe is shmups where getting killed once and losing your power ups is a death sentence making it almost impossible to go on. I've never liked credit feeding, but when starting off you still need to learn shit.

Sure you can git gud, but it just reeks of bad balance to me. Games becoming harder because you suck is hilarious.

Last edited:

xorthen

Banned
I think whats worse than what you describe is shmups where getting killed once and losing your power ups is a death sentence making it almost impossible to go on. I've never liked credit feeding, but when starting off you still need to learn shit.

Sure you can git gud, but it just reeks of bad balance to me. Games becoming harder because you suck is hilarious.
Heh, tell me about it. Try playing Darius Gaiden on later stages and get hit to lose all power ups. It becomes impossible to even play.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you don't like Pulstar, then you're pretty much going to dislike most Irem shooties

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If you don't like Pulstar, then you're pretty much going to dislike most Irem shooties

Pulstar is a classic. I'm not dogging this style of shmups, I just don't have a preference for them.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
OP mistook this:
1181242155166.png

for this:
cbwnfoddbk1pnalufv40.jpg

:scratch:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
How do I feel about "1 hit shmups"? If you talk arcade, then that's simply the whole point about them, everything else is like love without sex. I hope you had some of the latter, thus know what you'd be missing. As console STGs go, then Compile brought some gripping variations into this holy dogma, but this exception just proves the rule, namely that... there is no spoon. Deal with it.

Edit: How do you feel about credit feeding?

Last edited:

Silvergun7

n00b
They're frustrating but they don't bother me in most cases. Only a few games that have these checkpoints annoy me. Idk why buy the checkpoints in Xexex bother me profusely.

Probably because I suck.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Gradius III (arcade version) is one of the worst when it comes to poorly designed checkpoints. Most of them are basically a game over in disguise.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gradius III (arcade version) is one of the worst when it comes to poorly designed checkpoints. Most of them are basically a game over in disguise.

It's funny too, the game already demands a 1cc from the player.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Border down was terrible. Can't stand the gameplay dynamic.

You're not going to love every game, but yeah.. I'm not a fan of 1 hit shmups/checkpoints.