How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

• Total voters

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't really mind em myself. It's where they re-spawn you that matters.

csauce

n00b
I think the best sense of accomplishment comes from beating a game like that. I have to be in the right mood for it though.

Thunderforce 3 was kinda cheap with some of its placements, also it depends on the shooter I mean if its bullet hell I probably wouldnt last lnog without the extra lives and continues. (but i know alot of cave shooters usually has the player hitbox as as dot in the players ship.

But then again with the mount of stuff on the screen if the hitbox was the size of the players ship it would probably be impossible.

plus it depends on the mood personally I like Thunderforce 4 (Lightening Force) myself its probably the only one I was pretty good at

Aurich

n00b
I like them, but I'm much pickier about which ones I'll play. Solid level design and good music really count if you're constantly replaying. I can play a more mediocre respawn just because I can keep moving through it.

With the way prices on Toaplan PCBs keep going up it seems like people don't mind that style, that's for sure.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
I like them, but I'm much pickier about which ones I'll play. Solid level design and good music really count if you're constantly replaying. I can play a more mediocre respawn just because I can keep moving through it.

With the way prices on Toaplan PCBs keep going up it seems like people don't mind that style, that's for sure.

It's a good thing Mamedev recently and finally redumped the MCUs that contained the audio for Vimana, Teki Paki (not a shmup, though), and Fire Shark, then.

I prefer respawn as a mechanic, however, I don't think one-hitters suck. Depends on the individual title really. I'm a huge Gradius series fan for example.