View Poll Results: How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • GIT GOOD n00b

    14 28.57%
  • They suck

    11 22.45%
  • They're good

    15 30.61%
  • Oh, look at that wall I'll just fly int- - BOOM

    9 18.37%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

  1. #1
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900

    How do you feel about 1 hit shmups?

    You know, the ones where you get hit one time and you have to restart from either a check point or from the beginning of the stage.

  2. #2
    Kyo's Flame
    ResO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Scoopin from scoopers~

    Posts
    8,057
    I've always found it annoying. I much prefer respawn shmups.

  3. #3
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900
    Same, those 1 hit shmups get on my nerves.

  4. #4
    Kyo's Flame
    ResO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Scoopin from scoopers~

    Posts
    8,057
    Quote Originally Posted by xorthen View Post
    Same, those 1 hit shmups get on my nerves.
    I'll still play them, but they drive me nuts. I havn't played Pulstar in awhile, but I think it was one of "these" games. Was Blazing Star as well? I can't recall why, but I played Pulstar much more. I think Blazing star had auto fire or something which for some reason I kinda' felt was cheating/noob at the time.
    Last edited by ResO; 06-22-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Type-o

  5. #5
    Robert Garcia's Butler
    Tw3ek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    天外魔境

    Posts
    1,283
    It certainly makes playing Gradius a lot more challenging!
    [Rot] 1:39 pm: Twonk is a SAVIOR!


  6. #6
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    11,159
    It means you need more practice.

  7. #7
    Alfred Garcia's Butler
    andsuchisdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    5,906
    "1 hit shmup" sounds absurd.

    Don't play older shooters if you don't like check points.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900
    Gradius is probably the easiest of these type of shmups. I am talking about billions of bullets flying at you, then you get hit and you restart the stage or check point. These are easily the most frustrating and the ones I like least. I can only try to learn so much before I just say fuck it and give up. There are too many bullets on screen, the hit box is too confusing to get used to on certain games. Same reason I sold AES copy of Pulstar years ago. I bought it expecting it to be some great game and it turned out being an over rated turd.

  10. #10
    Mr Big's Escort
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    2,914
    bit of a misleading title there xorthen lol. at first i thought you was asking whether we liked shmups that kill you in one hit or not, in which i was trying to think of all the shmups where the player has a life bar. but yeah, pretty much what reso said. another problem i have with the non respawning shmups is that most i've played have long levels. so it all turns in to the level memorisation game, which i don't find it to be much fun



    Quote Originally Posted by xorthen View Post
    Gradius is probably the easiest of these type of shmups. I am talking about billions of bullets flying at you, then you get hit and you restart the stage or check point. These are easily the most frustrating and the ones I like least. I can only try to learn so much before I just say fuck it and give up. There are too many bullets on screen, the hit box is too confusing to get used to on certain games. Same reason I sold AES copy of Pulstar years ago. I bought it expecting it to be some great game and it turned out being an over rated turd.
    for me gradius is an exception. for some reason memorising the levels is super fun with gradius and life force.

    and you didn't like pulstar?.
    Last edited by Bogard; 06-22-2016 at 05:52 PM.

  11. #11
    We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.
    ChuChu Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US

    Posts
    1,734
    I think whats worse than what you describe is shmups where getting killed once and losing your power ups is a death sentence making it almost impossible to go on. I've never liked credit feeding, but when starting off you still need to learn shit.

    Sure you can git gud, but it just reeks of bad balance to me. Games becoming harder because you suck is hilarious.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 06-22-2016 at 04:46 PM.


    he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

  12. #12
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    I think whats worse than what you describe is shmups where getting killed once and losing your power ups is a death sentence making it almost impossible to go on. I've never liked credit feeding, but when starting off you still need to learn shit.

    Sure you can git gud, but it just reeks of bad balance to me. Games becoming harder because you suck is hilarious.
    Heh, tell me about it. Try playing Darius Gaiden on later stages and get hit to lose all power ups. It becomes impossible to even play.

  13. #13
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    11,159
    If you don't like Pulstar, then you're pretty much going to dislike most Irem shooties

  14. #14
    Kyo's Flame
    ResO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Scoopin from scoopers~

    Posts
    8,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    If you don't like Pulstar, then you're pretty much going to dislike most Irem shooties
    Pulstar is a classic. I'm not dogging this style of shmups, I just don't have a preference for them.

  15. #15
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    11,159
    Quote Originally Posted by ResO View Post
    Pulstar is a classic. I'm not dogging this style of shmups, I just don't have a preference for them.


    Oh I'm mostly just poking fun at xorthen.

  16. #16
    BESTEST Buttrider in chat.
    Officially No.10 at Schmups.
    DIG it Brethren!
    Chempop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by xorthen View Post
    I am talking about billions of bullets flying at you, then you get hit and you restart the stage or check point.
    Can you give an example?

  17. #17
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Chempop View Post
    Can you give an example?
    Tons of games like this. Border Down comes to mind. R-Type is another one that has the same shit going on. Last Resort

  18. #18
    a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!
    CORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada

    Posts
    5,270
    Quote Originally Posted by xorthen View Post
    Tons of games like this. Border Down comes to mind. R-Type is another one that has the same shit going on. Last Resort
    Nigga are you for real?

  19. #19
    Mai's Stalker
    xorthen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the planet of earth

    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by CORY_POOOOOOOOON! View Post
    Nigga are you for real?
    Yeah, when you get hit you don't instantly respawn where you died.

  20. #20
    BESTEST Buttrider in chat.
    Officially No.10 at Schmups.
    DIG it Brethren!
    Chempop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    3,271
    OP mistook this:

    for this:



  21. #21
    Chang's Grocer

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    4,569
    How do I feel about "1 hit shmups"? If you talk arcade, then that's simply the whole point about them, everything else is like love without sex. I hope you had some of the latter, thus know what you'd be missing. As console STGs go, then Compile brought some gripping variations into this holy dogma, but this exception just proves the rule, namely that... there is no spoon. Deal with it.

    Edit: How do you feel about credit feeding?
    Last edited by oliverclaude; 06-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.

  22. #22
    New Challenger

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    US

    Posts
    21
    They're frustrating but they don't bother me in most cases. Only a few games that have these checkpoints annoy me. Idk why buy the checkpoints in Xexex bother me profusely.

    Probably because I suck.

  23. #23
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington

    Posts
    248
    Gradius III (arcade version) is one of the worst when it comes to poorly designed checkpoints. Most of them are basically a game over in disguise.

  24. #24
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    11,159
    Quote Originally Posted by pegboy View Post
    Gradius III (arcade version) is one of the worst when it comes to poorly designed checkpoints. Most of them are basically a game over in disguise.
    It's funny too, the game already demands a 1cc from the player.

  25. #25
    FUCKSTICK MODERATOR.
    Misanthrope

    VanillaThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chasing the Pfhor around L'howon with SPNKR in hand...

    Posts
    15,223
    Border down was terrible. Can't stand the gameplay dynamic.

    You're not going to love every game, but yeah.. I'm not a fan of 1 hit shmups/checkpoints.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •