Thread: Neo Noob signin' in

Cheng's Errand Boy

The Dutchlands Neo Noob signin' in

Hi everyone, you might've already seen me post a bit but I figured I should do a proper introduction.

My name's Daniel, I'm 17 and I live in a small town in the North of the Netherlands. I've always have had an interest in electronics, computers and games, and have had a C64 since I was 8 after I found out about it on the internet, and my dad was able to get one from a colleague of his. That's pretty much what got me into older hardware.

I've had the pleasure of having played on a Big Red, in a small amusement park not too far away from me. The last time I went there, I was kind of getting too old for the park (most rides are aimed for 4-10 year olds, I was 13 at the time), so next to eating the free all-you-can-eat snacks and ice cream, I played some games in the little arcade they have. They had two pinball machines, an airhockey table, a Sega Ralley(-ish) arcade machine, and of course the, I think 4 slot, Neo Geo MVS. Even though my memory is a bit hazy, I can vividly remember the bright red cab, with four bright buttons and two joysticks, and playing Puzzle Bobble, along with a few other games which I can't remember much any more. I do remember it had more games than Puzzle Bobble, though. I think it was a shmup, a racing game, and another game. Wish I could remember what those games were!

I've recently started hearing more and more about Neo Geo, and that made me remember the one in that amusement park I played on again. Sadly, they don't have the pinball machines, airhockey table and Neo Geo MVS anymore. My sister, who volunteered at a school last year, went there on a school trip, and all there was left in the tiny arcade room were racing games. An email from the park confirmed they did not have the machines anymore, sadly. That said, paying an entrance fee to an amusement park to only pay more money for playing arcade games seemed a little daft.

So after more looking around, and wanting to get into Neo Geo after having it pique my interest, I figured the best way to start was with a NGCD. I've ordered one that had no video output from Japan, sold without any cables or controllers. Seemed like a good way to familiarize myself with the hardware while fixing it, and from what I saw, it is a fairly easy fix. It hasn't arrived yet due to me cheapening out on the shipping. However, I later also read about people modding Photoplay cabinets (they're late 90s/early 00s arcade cabinets with CRT touchscreens that play basic bar games like card games, the hardware inside is just a Windows 95 PC with custom ISA/PCI cards) into "normal" arcade cabinets for uses such as JAMMA boards and MAME setups, and with some cash left on hand, I also went and bought a Neo Geo MVS board with a Z80 error, and a fixer-upper Photoplay 2000 cabinet, so I can make my own "Big Red". I'll soon start working on both, which I'll be sure to post about.

To end this wall of text, I've already been posting and reading around the forum to familiarize myself with this community. While it's certainly different from the usual forum, I'm sure I'll find my way around here

Famous & Dangerous.

Welcome, Daniel! Nice introduction.

Kyo's Flame

I'm going to have to ban you for posting that huge wall of text. Sorry.

Jk, welcome aboard!

lord of the coffee shop.

Welcome aboard, kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobak View Post
    Could somebody in Belgium walk over to the fence and yell at Ratson to come back here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shroom View Post
    Games you can't play.
    Rugs you can't walk on.
    Welcome to the neo geo scene!

I think you owe me a Pulstar cart.

"Hey, are we done here?...Cause I'm losing my buzz!" Jag-Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    I think you owe me a Pulstar cart.

Just one? lol

Welcome to the forums Daniel

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bobak View Post
    People in the Northern Midwest seem to love Jag, especially in Wisconsin. There's a funny Lewis Black bit about the drinking habits of people in Wisconsin where he brings up the love of Jag --I think I caught it on YouTube.

War Room Troll

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Hey there, been seeing you around the board, great to have you.

Let us know how it goes with the Photoplay!

Quote Originally Posted by MuppeT View Post
    LMAO.

Welcome btw

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'

Welcome to teh drama!

test your might.gif
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

Thread Information