SOUND Broken - Good Startup, then crunchy sound - Magician Lord MVS Cartridge

Bought a Magician Lord MVS cartridge for 95 euro (25 euro shipping from Italy to France (steep!)).

In the listing it was indicated that the sound was strange, but the seller wrote: 'i think it's my mvs motherboard'. I received the game, tried it an got the following complaint:

Startup sound & coin sound are fine, game sound are crunchy and distorted

So I cleaned the contacts with white eraser - no change; then with rubbing alcohol and q-tips - no change. I carefully looked at all the solder points, and it doesn't seem to have anything out of the ordinary. However, I don't truely know what to look for, so I hope someone here could help me. Please find attached photo's of the boards, and do let me know if there's anything I can do to save this cart.

Cheers!
-Marcel

7.jpg PCBs in Cart
4.jpg PCBs back
3.jpg PCBs front
2.jpg PCB 1 front
1.jpg PCB 2 front
5.jpg PCB 1 back
6.jpg PCB 2 back

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Check all the LS174 with a logic probe. You could also replace all the logic on the board. It would only cost ya a few bucks.

Check all the LS174 with a logic probe. You could also replace all the logic on the board. It would only cost ya a few bucks.

Cheers for the quick response, bustedstr8. I don't have a logic probe, so I just picked one up from Amazon. I figure it'd be handy in the future. Again, I'm rather new with anything beyond simply cleaning the board, so let me know if there's anything I'd be missing. For example: where is a good place to buy IC Chips (in Europe)?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It'd be the PROG board you want to inspect, that contains the V ROMs that hold the sound data.