PCE CD games

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
These are 2 I've been hoping to pick up eventually. I gotta ask, What do you not like about them?

F4 may have a different reason - but they are typically shunned because of their difficulty/frustration levels. Rayxanber 2 is a crazy, fast-paced memorizer that will make you want to punch a wall. Same goes for Image Fight 2, but I actually beat that one after a week or so of sticking with it and came away LOVING the shit out of it.

I've yet to crack Rayxanber 2 though, so hard.

If you like those old-school challenging/impossible games though, these both look and sound amazing. They're just....you know, balls hard.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
F4 may have a different reason - but they are typically shunned because of their difficulty/frustration levels. Rayxanber 2 is a crazy, fast-paced memorizer that will make you want to punch a wall. Same goes for Image Fight 2, but I actually beat that one after a week or so of sticking with it and came away LOVING the shit out of it.

If you like those old-school challenging/impossible games though, these both look and sound amazing. They're just....you know, balls hard.

Image Fight II is a beast, I have yet to beat it. I'd like to pick up Raisinbar 2 sometime, as I actually kinda liked the 3rd one.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

This is my reasoning. They made me angry.

That said, I've only played them for a couple of hours each, so in all honestly, my comment is subjective.

I'm keen to give them a solid session, but I've realised I'm pretty shit at shmups, I just don't have the time to get involved and give them the patience they deserve. I still pick them up as I WANT to get better and the only way to do that is play the hard ones. And keep playing them, over, and over.

These games are both brutal and beautiful.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Ahh ok I understand. I like Image Fight alot and Rayxanber 3 is pretty good too so I always wanted to get their counterparts. But, I do try to stay away from the "anger inducing" games. Maybe I'll pass on these then. Im angry at enough other stuff already haha.

How do you guys feel about the Summer Carnival games? Waste of money or pretty fun? I have ADD so 5 minute games intrigue me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I WANT to get better and the only way to do that is play the hard ones.

Not necessarily. You just might not have basic fundamentals down.

You don't need hard games to sew the seeds of the stg instinct.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not necessarily. You just might not have basic fundamentals down.

You don't need hard games to sew the seeds of the stg instinct.

Probably. Shooters are not something I've grown up with, only in the past 5 years or so have I been more interested. I won't stray from the topic on hand but I should probably ask some more questions in the shmups threads. For me, both Image Fight 2 and Rayxanber 2 we're not ideal for someone who has not had a lot of exposure to shooters. My comment was subjective.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Start off with the easier ones. Play some Soldier series, or Blazing Lazers/Gunhed. It can help you with practice. Then deal with shit like Tatsujin, Image Fight, or Rayxanber 2. Really Rayxnber 2 isn't that hard. The slow down on stage 4 is what kills it. All the other stages even after 4 are fairly basic and easy.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Ahh ok I understand. I like Image Fight alot and Rayxanber 3 is pretty good too so I always wanted to get their counterparts. But, I do try to stay away from the "anger inducing" games. Maybe I'll pass on these then. Im angry at enough other stuff already haha.

How do you guys feel about the Summer Carnival games? Waste of money or pretty fun? I have ADD so 5 minute games intrigue me.

Nexzr is very good.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Rayxanber 2 is bad ass last stage is pretty intense with the dodging. Is Zero Wing any good?

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Jesus what happened to Golden Axe? Checked it out last night cut scenes are cool but the game itself is shit.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I was done by Telenet Japan. Lazy port.........but nusic is good though ;)

I had the Amiga 500 port of this game and it plays & looks way better than this CD one. But yeah the music is really good, sad could have been a great port. I honestly can't believe they let this out the door with the shape it was in one of the sorriest ports i have ever seen tbh.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I remember picking up Golden Axe for the PCE and seeing 'Telenet/Renovation' on the back cover. I never saw the game up to that point, but I already had a sinking feeling. NEC Ave. should have handled this one.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Never seen Golden Axe on a PCE but... seems I am not missing anything...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You're not. I accidentally bought it once, terrible port.

-SD-

Camel Slug
The PCE just seems incomplete without a CD drive... there's so many good games released for it. The Mega CD on the other hand is a case of personal preference. Although it does have some cracking titles you can get by with just a Megadrive.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I grabbed Golden Axe on PCECD for $4 while trolling the auctions on ebay.

It's pretty bad. Still worth experiencing for under $5.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I grabbed Golden Axe on PCECD for $4 while trolling the auctions on ebay.

It's pretty bad. Still worth experiencing for under $5.

Hate to admit but I as bad as it is I still wouldn't mind having it if I could grab it cheap. I couldn't believe how bad the sprite work was, Tyris when she is riding on one of the dragons is just laughable. It doesn't make any sense why they made the cuts scenes look so good but not spend any effort of the actual game mechanics.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
It doesn't make any sense why they made the cuts scenes look so good but not spend any effort of the actual game mechanics.

I imagine they probably focused their budget on the cut scenes and had little left over for the development of the game.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The PCE just seems incomplete without a CD drive... there's so many good games released for it.

Damn right, gotta get that CD drive. I tried getting by on just HuCards but I got burned out on them and sprung for the CD. The HuCard games are fun, but they seem simple compared to the CD games.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Is Macross 2036 worth getting? Looks like a decent game.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I got in when it was originally released. It's a decent shooter. Lots of cut-scenes. Pretty straight forward game. It's nothing amazing but the soundtrack and cut-scenes are really good. The game plays well, I just wish there was a little more with the weapon system. You get to choose special weapons before each level like in U.N. Squadron, but you never get to do much with your main weapon. It's a cheapie so it's definitely worth it.