PCE CD games

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Echoing a few here for dramatic effect...

Download 2
L-Dis
Image Fight 2 [it's actually great, just a steep learning curve]
Rayxanber 2 & 3
Terraforming
Iga Ninden Gaou
Hihou Densetsu
Fray CD
All the caravan shmups
Psychic Storm
Gradius 2
BAKUSHŌ YOSHIMOTO NO SHINKIGEKI (underrated)
Arcade Card Neo ports are pretty amazing

The list literally goes on, but I have to get back to work.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Ys is awesome, but it's a subtle awesome that you kinda have to discover on your own. Going into it with everyone here pumping up how great it is will probably lead to disappointment.

Splash Lake is a lot of fun, and a pretty unique game.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I love playing Dracula X on the PCE and Fatal fury special I plan on getting Kaze Kiri and Cotton next.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
Star Parodier - Developed by Kaneko, is an excellent cute-em-up for the Super CD-Rom2. It's good for beginners to pick up but can also get harder as the game progresses. Also, excellent opening :)

Galaxy Deka Gayvan. A really neat little beat-em-up for the PCE, the characters have a transformation (henshin) sequence that gives them added abilities. Good 2-player co-op fun.

Another cool 2D side-scrolling action game for the system if you have access to an Arcade Card is Full Metal Force.

The system even had some decent fighters. Kabuki Ittouryoudan for ACD is great, especially if you like Far East of Eden. Another fast-paced fighter doe SCD is Asuka 120% Maxima. There are tons of good CD games, many of which already have been mentioned here. :)

Silvergun7

n00b
Hellfire S is a nice and relatively affordable CD game, gotta love Toaplan. Not my favorite Toaplan game but still a very worthy pickup, I prefer it over the Genesis version from what I've played.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Last Alert / Red Alert is great.

Hellfire S is a nice and relatively affordable CD game, gotta love Toaplan. Not my favorite Toaplan game but still a very worthy pickup, I prefer it over the Genesis version from what I've played.

Hellfire on the Genesis has way way better music imo. Same goes for Zero Wing.

Chip Tunes >>> CD Audio.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Chip Tunes >>> CD Audio.

i think if you were into it as these as they were released, the fact they WEREN'T chip tunes was a huge deal. In 2016 i think your statement is true, but back then - no way

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions, seems like my burner will be busy this weekend.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

Chip Tunes >>> CD Audio.

i liked truxton and devils crush more on the megadrive/genesis. but i thought cadash was soo much better on the pc engine

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
i liked truxton and devils crush more on the megadrive/genesis. but i thought cadash was soo much better on the pc engine

I think both the md and pce version of Devil's Crush are worth owning. Jaki crush for the sfc isn't too bad either.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Star Parodier
Image Fight II
Rayxanber 2
Shadow of the Beast
Prince of Persia
Super Darius I & II

And just about anything else that was listed.

I seriously thought I was the only one who played the old school prince of persia games. I remember having a blast with the Sega cd version.

Silvergun7

n00b
Wasn't a big fan of Hellfire's OST on geni. It was alright but none of it really stood out to me. I could say the same about the CD soundtrack as well.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I seriously thought I was the only one who played the old school prince of persia games. I remember having a blast with the Sega cd version.

I love those old Jordan Mechner games. The PCE port is pretty good, and it's under $20.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I love those old Jordan Mechner games. The PCE port is pretty good, and it's under $20.

Yea they are. I think I might have the pce version sitting on the shelf. Those sword battles.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
The PC Engine also has a decent amount of homebrews for it too. There's a few projects on the horizon as well. :)

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Here are some popular and/or celebrated PC Engine-exclusive CD games that are light on RPG elements:

Kabuki Itouryoden -SFII-style ACD fighter. Very different from Kabuki Klash.

Sylphia
Nexzr
Star Parodia
Psychic Storm
Sapphire
Spriggan
Spriggan mk2

Gate of Thunder
Kiaiadan 00 -Mazinger Z-style shooter.
Download 2 -Moebius-style cyberpunk shooter with Black Sabbath inspired soundtrack.
Macross 2036 -time frame and story is unique to this game.
Choaniki
Ai Choaniki
Rayxanber II
Rayxanber III
Super Darius II -as original as it is a port.
Terraforming -Syd Mead design shooter.

Dracula X
Kaze Kiri -a super Spartan-X-style game with a large move set.
Fausette Amour -features a Bionic Commando-style grappling system.
Mugen Senshi Valis -only the rough story is shared among other versions.

Motoroader MC -cyberpunk 5-player Super Sprint-style game with weapons and interactive tracks.

Beyond Shadowgate -King's Quest-style point and click game with original paintings for every scene and all of the dialogue is voice acted.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Galaxy Deka Gayvan. A really neat little beat-em-up for the PCE, the characters have a transformation (henshin) sequence that gives them added abilities. Good 2-player co-op fun.

Good to know. I avoided this game because I thought it was the LGBT version of Bang Bus.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I know you can play those elsewhere but... Fatal Fury ports got awesome music and are pretty decent to play.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
I know you can play those elsewhere but... Fatal Fury ports got awesome music and are pretty decent to play.

It's funny, I would have never mentioned those ports on a Neo-Geo forum but I totally Agree. The arrangements for the PCE versions of the Fatal Fury games are really good! I even liked how some of the reoccurring themes between 2 and Special differ from each other, some being better on 2, even.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
i think if you were into it as these as they were released, the fact they WEREN'T chip tunes was a huge deal. In 2016 i think your statement is true, but back then - no way

That's true, but for me at the time the thrill of the new CD audio wore thin extremely quickly. The Genesis Zero Wing OST is astonishingly good even in such a mediocre shooter.

Last edited: