So now, years later, can we all agree KOF98 was the best one?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm curious which stages and which music are you referring to Bogard? The first opinion I had when I played my friends MVS copy was it felt rushed and nothing really stood out much. I think I liked Ash's theme and Terry's theme, but other then that nothing stood out to me. I was thinking about firing it up again to see what I forgot about.

Edit: Played for a bit. Kusanagi's remix of Esaka? was pretty good. I think I was liking Terry's arranged theme because I didn't like this one. Other then that some stages were decent, but a lot of stages it felt like they had a budget on how many colors they could use. It made decent stages look worse to me. I did like some of the teams. Outlaw Team I prefer over MOTW Team. Terry's Team seem to make more sense inviting Tizoc and Joe rather then the crazy Kim, Duck King team (though that was a fun team). Other then that though I preferred XI teams. They seemed way more refreshing.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm curious which stages and which music are you referring to Bogard? The first opinion I had when I played my friends MVS copy was it felt rushed and nothing really stood out much. I think I liked Ash's theme and Terry's theme, but other then that nothing stood out to me. I was thinking about firing it up again to see what I forgot about.

Edit: Played for a bit. Kusanagi's remix of Esaka? was pretty good. I think I was liking Terry's arranged theme because I didn't like this one. Other then that some stages were decent, but a lot of stages it felt like they had a budget on how many colors they could use. It made decent stages look worse to me. I did like some of the teams. Outlaw Team I prefer over MOTW Team. Terry's Team seem to make more sense inviting Tizoc and Joe rather then the crazy Kim, Duck King team (though that was a fun team). Other then that though I preferred XI teams. They seemed way more refreshing.

i loved the music of 03 with themes like kyoku gen the art of fighting theme. villainous the billy cane team them. KD the team k' theme. blaze the kyu kusanagi theme and many more.

as for stages this is one of my favourite backgrounds of any fighter ever
2003_Hong_Kong_02.png

i know it may be hard to think why some one prefers 03 over 11, but lets just say it's a personal preference. but i know what you mean. if some one told me that they liked fatal fury 2 over ff special, i would also be like WTF!?. but 03 really wow'd me when it first came out. i had an obsession over it like with all my favourite snk fighters. but kof 11 just felt like a polished version of the same game i was playing.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'll never forget the one time I was in Japan for a 3 day trip I saw an arcade location test for KOF98. It's hard to put into works but at that time there were more people playing KOF games in the arcades in Hong Kong & Japan than Street Fighter.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
there were more people playing KOF games in the arcades in Hong Kong & Japan than Street Fighter.

i was surprised that all the asian friends i made in the arcades only ever played snk fighters. the only capcom games that were ever played by them was alpha 3, 3rd strike and maybe snk vs capcom 2.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
i loved the music of 03 with themes like kyoku gen the art of fighting theme. villainous the billy cane team them. KD the team k' theme. blaze the kyu kusanagi theme and many more.

as for stages this is one of my favourite backgrounds of any fighter ever
View attachment 37271

i know it may be hard to think why some one prefers 03 over 11, but lets just say it's a personal preference. but i know what you mean. if some one told me that they liked fatal fury 2 over ff special, i would also be like WTF!?. but 03 really wow'd me when it first came out. i had an obsession over it like with all my favourite snk fighters. but kof 11 just felt like a polished version of the same game i was playing.

I'm not knocking your preference. As I said I played a shit ton of it online on OG Xbox and it always hold a special place in my heart as the 1st game to break my playing Japanese gamers online (and thoroughly gettiong schooled by them). I'm more or less curious as to why you like it in trying to understand why you think it's great.

As for the stage it reminded me of this one from Real Bout 2 with bleached out colors. Still looked good but I wished the did the colors better..

20_zpsdc8f14c3.png

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'm not knocking your preference. As I said I played a shit ton of it online on OG Xbox and it always hold a special place in my heart as the 1st game to break my playing Japanese gamers online (and thoroughly gettiong schooled by them). I'm more or less curious as to why you like it in trying to understand why you think it's great.

As for the stage it reminded me of this one from Real Bout 2 with bleached out colors. Still looked good but I wished the did the colors better..

20_zpsdc8f14c3.png

:lolz: didn't say you was knocking my preference, dude. i just thought you might be having a hard time trying to figure out why someone would prefer kof 03 over 11. which my response was to that i understand why some one would think that. but as to why i liked the game. i was wow'ed by the in-game switchable characters, the motw terry in a kof game with his very own new raging storm (Power Stream) , kyo's new look, robert's new fighting stance. i really like the way how some of the characters play such as kyo. and kof 03 has my favourite k'.
although the stages were not as colourful compared to the previous games, they were very atmospheric. the stages almost had a ghost in the shell feel to them. and i loved the soundtrack, specially kyo's and the art of fighting theme.
well that's all i could think of so far :D.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
KOF98 is a solid game. It really showed what the series was about and didn't overly complicate things. It ends up being the go-to title of the bunch for most players.

However, I have a soft spot in my heart for 2K3. I love the switch mechanics they lifted from MvC. It makes the gameplay faster and more satisfying. The game engine is modified from the one used in SVC CHAOS and more polished. Imagine if SVC had gotten this treatment. 3-on-3 SNK and Capcom teams mixed and matched on the Big Red? I'll take seven!

But that doesn't exist so...

KOF2K3 all day

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Fuck no, I personally love the stages of 99. I don't think there is a best one because each brings something unique to the table. However, for me, 99 is the most lovely. Absolutely love the stage with the rain. Oh and im a K' fag.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Fuck no, I personally love the stages of 99. I don't think there is a best one because each brings something unique to the table. However, for me, 99 is the most lovely. Absolutely love the stage with the rain. Oh and im a K' fag.

i'm also a k' fag. but most do agree that 98 is the over all best game in the series, although they have their personal favourite.

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
98 is definitely my favourite, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased. It was the first King of Fighters that I sunk any real time into, and one of my favourite fighters at the time was Yashiro; since the storyline dropped him out of the playables for a while, I had several years of 98 being my favourite KOF. I enjoyed the others, but I got so comfortable in 98 that I think, even now, it's hard for me to look at it objectively.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
98 is definitely my favourite, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased. It was the first King of Fighters that I sunk any real time into, and one of my favourite fighters at the time was Yashiro; since the storyline dropped him out of the playables for a while, I had several years of 98 being my favourite KOF. I enjoyed the others, but I got so comfortable in 98 that I think, even now, it's hard for me to look at it objectively.
Yashiro is really good in 02 though. Hes one of my favorites too. Being able to do a super after his 2 punch link was amazing since I always felt it should connect in 98. I started playing alittle more 02 nice i recently picked up a MVS cart of it. I really do enjoy the game speed of 02 compared to 98. It runs alot smoother it seems. Backgrounds arent as nice or the music but the thing that matters the most, gameplay is there.

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
Yashiro is really good in 02 though. Hes one of my favorites too. Being able to do a super after his 2 punch link was amazing since I always felt it should connect in 98. I started playing alittle more 02 nice i recently picked up a MVS cart of it. I really do enjoy the game speed of 02 compared to 98. It runs alot smoother it seems. Backgrounds arent as nice or the music but the thing that matters the most, gameplay is there.

that's really good to hear. i don't have '02 at home, so i didn't play it nearly as much, but this little tidbit of information is exactly the kind of thing that'll move it up my list of 'should get's. when i eventually start buying carts again, i'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i'm also a k' fag. but most do agree that 98 is the over all best game in the series, although they have their personal favourite.

Haha, nothing wrong with being a "K' fag", hes a really good character, beastly infact. And the fact they didnt put him in CvS or SvC leads me to believe he would be too OP. lol As long as you dont dress like him on the weekends, your ok.

BTW, watched some jpn kof 03 matches. That games looks fun enough. The stage you like is pretty cool. Def my favorite in that game. Duo Lon looks fun to play, and a bitch to play against. His lock down and mix up game is crazy. He was pretty much one of the characters on everyones team in the tourney. One thing i dont like about benimaru in 03 is he went back to his 94 style, i dont dig that outfit at all lol

that's really good to hear. i don't have '02 at home, so i didn't play it nearly as much, but this little tidbit of information is exactly the kind of thing that'll move it up my list of 'should get's. when i eventually start buying carts again, i'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
I def recommend it as one of the kofs you pick up for the mvs. Its really fun. Plus its the last year that K9999 is in a kof game, before they swapped him out with nameless. Who is a better character gameplay wise, but K9999 is more of a badass.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Haha, nothing wrong with being a "K' fag", hes a really good character, beastly infact. And the fact they didnt put him in CvS or SvC leads me to believe he would be too OP. lol .

I think he wasn't included in CVS1 because the decision for initial list came late '98- Early '99. K' didn't come out until late '99. This is also why Rock didn't debut until CVS2. As for why he's not in the later titles it might be because he's kinda a shoto and there was a fight to cut down the amount of shoto players. SVC has a ton of them, and most had the old school which is better from back in the day inclusion to them(Ryo vs Ryu, Akuma vs Mr Karate, Dan vs Ryo). K' is new school shotoesque so I can see why. Also I did hear rumors (stress rumors) that SVC was mostly done way back in '00 but because of the whole crap SNK was going through it couldn't get released until '03 by which Playmore had the rights to release the games and had the time and manpower to finish it (mostly). It sucks he wasn't though.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think he wasn't included in CVS1 because the decision for initial list came late '98- Early '99. K' didn't come out until late '99. This is also why Rock didn't debut until CVS2. As for why he's not in the later titles it might be because he's kinda a shoto and there was a fight to cut down the amount of shoto players. SVC has a ton of them, and most had the old school which is better from back in the day inclusion to them(Ryo vs Ryu, Akuma vs Mr Karate, Dan vs Ryo). K' is new school shotoesque so I can see why. Also I did hear rumors (stress rumors) that SVC was mostly done way back in '00 but because of the whole crap SNK was going through it couldn't get released until '03 by which Playmore had the rights to release the games and had the time and manpower to finish it (mostly). It sucks he wasn't though.
It sucks it released unpolished, but at least bootleg hackers fixed the hit detection and released a superior version. In non-plus SVC walk up next to a character and shoot a fireball and watch it pass over your unscathed opponent most of the time. How the Heck did Playmore goof the hit detection so bad?:oh_no:

Still an awesome game though, buy the fixed boot and enjoy.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Baka- Cool, i didnt know it was pretty much done around '00, which is a good year for kof btw lol. There are alot of shotos, wouldve been nice to get clark or maxima in the mix. I still cant believe they dont have a MOTW team in kof14. Rock is the man. I used him alot in cvs2. I tried to stick to snk characters during that time to represent. But damn, the capcom side is just so good.
We gotta play some more man, i will be in Dallas this weekend so we will have to get some in sunday night or hopefully mon/tues. Always itching for games when i go out of town and comeback.

Reso- Yeah, i saw that, lol, first time i was like wtf, it was just a one time deal, but nope, its a thing. The two version on the 161 in 1 are good enough for me. Did you end up picking up that Super SVC that was in the market place?
You need to jump on fightcade. "test your might"...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Baka- Cool, i didnt know it was pretty much done around '00, which is a good year for kof btw lol. There are alot of shotos, wouldve been nice to get clark or maxima in the mix. I still cant believe they dont have a MOTW team in kof14. Rock is the man. I used him alot in cvs2. I tried to stick to snk characters during that time to represent. But damn, the capcom side is just so good.
We gotta play some more man, i will be in Dallas this weekend so we will have to get some in sunday night or hopefully mon/tues. Always itching for games when i go out of town and comeback.

Reso- Yeah, i saw that, lol, first time i was like wtf, it was just a one time deal, but nope, its a thing. The two version on the 161 in 1 are good enough for me. Did you end up picking up that Super SVC that was in the market place?
You need to jump on fightcade. "test your might"...

Nah, I already own a non-fixed version of the boot and the one from the marketplace also isn't the hit-detection fix version. I don't care about having the KOF roll (I don't recall owning the roll version back in the day, maybe I did and didn't notice though):emb:

A good version was on eBay recently and went for over $200. I just can't justify a $200 MVS boot. $80-$100 is fair for a fixed SVC boot imo.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
If they would've included King instead of May Lee on King of Fighters 2002, I would've said this is the best one. I love their roster otherwise.

As is, I think it's a tie between 97 and 99 to me.

I sometimes play 98 just so I can use the American Sports Team.

KOF98 is a solid game. It really showed what the series was about and didn't overly complicate things. It ends up being the go-to title of the bunch for most players.

However, I have a soft spot in my heart for 2K3. I love the switch mechanics they lifted from MvC. It makes the gameplay faster and more satisfying. The game engine is modified from the one used in SVC CHAOS and more polished. Imagine if SVC had gotten this treatment. 3-on-3 SNK and Capcom teams mixed and matched on the Big Red? I'll take seven!

But that doesn't exist so...

KOF2K3 all day

2k3 is underrated imo.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Playing all the mainline games chronologically and so far I really enjoyed KOF 97. Granted the music was a bit sparse (Rhythmic Hallucination kicks ass tho) but the lavish stages, storytelling and updated fluidity from even 96 impressed me. I'm about to invest time into 98 after mixed results in the past. Always been more a FF fan than KOF.

Also, lame but as a longtime lurker I feel the need to say: hi guys, first post :p

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Playing all the mainline games chronologically and so far I really enjoyed KOF 97. Granted the music was a bit sparse (Rhythmic Hallucination kicks ass tho) but the lavish stages, storytelling and updated fluidity from even 96 impressed me. I'm about to invest time into 98 after mixed results in the past. Always been more a FF fan than KOF.

Also, lame but as a longtime lurker I feel the need to say: hi guys, first post :p

hey there, dracoblade and welocome to the forums. i have to agree with you. kof is my personal favourite kof game. the stages, story telling and super tight and fluid controls makes 97 my favourite. always loved the atmospheric summer feel to it.

and yes, fatal fury rocks.