So now, years later, can we all agree KOF98 was the best one?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I still have fond memories of this game, and occasionally when I look up matches I only look up KOF98 matches. Best selection of characters, best gameplay, music, etc. Who could disagree?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
was it ever a disagreement?. i find that most agree that kof 98 is the best one, but they also have their personal favourite. i would say king of fighters 98 is the best in the series, but kof 97 is my favourite. i like the controls and visuals of 97 the most.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Mvs release wise I agree 98 was the best. 02 brought back the hype though. Got me and afew ppl I know back into the series when it was released. My personal favorite is 00, so fun.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
'98 is king. No doubt about that. But they all possess some individualistic charm that makes them all enjoyable. '94, '95 are still special to me and get more play than '98 but I agree '98 is the best.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I remember seeing 94 and 95 in the arcades and being impressed by it, but only a few years later I played them and thought they were sorta garbage. Especially compared to 98, 2k, and 2k2!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I like never played it arcade wise until just recently, but there were home versions like where they renamed KOF98 to 99 for Dreamcast due to the year of release and I played the crap out of it back then, even had the agetec joystick for it (and SF3.) Because of that and I guess due to not playing 1/2 of them and not caring as much for the earlier titles it's my favorite too. When I got my cabinet recently one of the 10 cartridges was the KOF98 blue cart and man was that a fun flash back. It's also on that 161in1 with much of the rest but still it remains a favorite.

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
my fav is kof 11, I have so many great memories about going to the local Japanese style arcade here in Houston with a bunch of friends and just beating the crap outta each other. 98 was the first kof that I really got a chance to sit down and learn.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
98 is the dream match

and the dream match never ends

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
this is all about objective vs subjective...

objectively '98 is the best, but subjectively '96 is my favorite

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Mvs release wise I agree 98 was the best. 02 brought back the hype though. Got me and afew ppl I know back into the series when it was released. My personal favorite is 00, so fun.

Yes, Si & Ja

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
but guys....guys...the rain stage in '99

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Personally I play 2000 the most, but 2002 might take that position.

Aside from the balance issues, the gameplay of 01 is quite good IMO.

I would play 98 more if I preferred the movesets for my mains.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Yep 98 is the best, agreed.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
It's crazy fun with friends, but god are some of the strikers annoying to get around.

We should catch some on Fightcade sometime, i used to be cold af at that game back when i used to actually go to practice mode on games. Now i just get on the job training on games. For casual fun matches all strikers are kinda fun. Real matches you see Seth, Another Iori and Joe most of the time.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Kof 98 was a classic, it's SNK's Street Fighter II per se.

However, sports team was incredibly lame, the name slugfest annoys me, and K' is my main so... I can't go with it.

KOF 2003 was a masterpiece that nobody appreciates, it's the only Neo Geo KOF worth playing unless your main isn't in it. Changing characters mid round is the best thing to be introduced to the series.

Kof 12 was an Even more brilliant masterpiece and was SNK at their best. KOF XIII & subsequently KOF XIII Climax improved the character roster and inevitably was the best KOF Game.

XIV is ass though, thank god it isn't out yet and I pray that it gets cancelled. Anyone offended by this comment has bad taste in games - truthfact :p

Edit: Spike Spiegel is insanely sexy and I don't care if he's married.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
We should catch some on Fightcade sometime, i used to be cold af at that game back when i used to actually go to practice mode on games. Now i just get on the job training on games. For casual fun matches all strikers are kinda fun. Real matches you see Seth, Another Iori and Joe most of the time.

Ramon, Duck King, and Yamazaki were pretty damn good as well if memory serves me correctly. I haven't played '00 in a hot sec, but yeah I'd be up for it.

Kof 98 was a classic, it's SNK's Street Fighter II per se..

No, that would be Samurai Shodown Series (SS1 = SFIIT, SS2 = SSFIIT). KOF is more likened to the Alpha series.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Mr Bakaboy said:
No, that would be Samurai Shodown Series (SS1 = SFIIT, SS2 = SSFIIT). KOF is more likened to the Alpha series.

You completely owned me there, You're correct. SamSho was a huge part if my childhood. :emb:

Back to the topic:
Still, KOF 98 is the *must own* KOF Classic. It was the first time that KOF really caught my eye as a series.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I felt the same about SS1, truly fantastic game. I've been meaning to pick up a cheap copy of that original one for my cabinet eventually, but I'd rather have SS3 first as I put a lot of quarters in that in college. It did feel like SF2 w/swords to me back then. KOF98 though was just on another level, unique and solid, had a feeling all onto its own so maybe the alpha comparison works, similar but not.