Did new AES games come sealed in large cellophane bag?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Many years ago i bought a sealed samurai spirits 2 AES from japan. It came sealed in a cellophane bag. The bag was much larger than the AES case, and very "airy". There eas no visable seam in the bag, it had to be cut open.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, does anyone have one of these sealed games?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Is that a common thing japanese vendors did?

Still do. Just about everything I've gotten from Japan has been in sealed bags. Used CDs, loose used carts, you name it, it's arrived in a sealed bag.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
For some games, they seal the cart, manual and box individually.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
They just do that to keep the games in nice condition. Too bad it won't save them from sunfade.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
They just do that to keep the games in nice condition.

So far the theory. But what might be good for carts, is just as bad for boxes, especially cardboard ones like sfc. The pressure of the plastic wrap squeezes the packaging up to a level, where it becomes irreversibly distorted. Plastic inlays crack up. Any slight smell the paper caught, be it from cigarette smoke or moistness, will grow peerlessly stronger. After all, there was a reason, why Nintendo, SEGA & SNK didn't do it, at least in Japan.

BTW, original sealing wasn't as good either, like on those poor Genesis games. Exceptions were SNES & later CD foil seals. If you check on those new & sealed games now, you'll notice they're hardly damaged by their thin plastic coverage.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
True about that, but that has more to do with shrink wrap, not properly sized resealable baggies. Re-shrink wrapping stuff is not a good idea for some of the reasons you listed. When I've bought japanese things, they usually came with a resealable baggy, not that shrink wrapped shit which is often the case in JP stores. If your games smells, it is already FUBAR'd in my opinion.

I honestly doubt condition was why they didn't seal famicom/sfc/neo geo games etc. They probably saw no reason to do so compared to here in the States/EU where people steal far more often than there. But yeah I agree its dumb to shrink wrap AES games for example, especially if snaplock cases as the potential for insert indentation damage is quite high.

I thought we were talking about resealable baggies, not re-shrink wrapping stuff. On sealed SNES/N64 games ive opened the shrink wrap has done no damage, in fact its protected it. It isn't like LPs were the corners can get damaged over time due to the shrinkwrap shrinking. I will say this, those baggies are not going to protect the game from REAL damage such as a fall or indentations like a soft plastic case would. Resealable baggies are a godsend for steelbook games and dvds, cds. For my boxed games I just use those plastic boxes that fold up, acrylic case if its an expensive one. Like the resealable sleeves, they are acid free and provide quite a bit of protection. Air is still getting to them at a much lower rate than bare, but allows them to breathe. You find this problem a lot when people frame anime or cartoon cels in a sealed environment to display, the chemical reactions in the paint and paper has nowhere to go and starts deteriorating itself.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Many years ago i bought a sealed samurai spirits 2 AES from japan. It came sealed in a cellophane bag. The bag was much larger than the AES case, and very "airy". There eas no visable seam in the bag, it had to be cut open.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, does anyone have one of these sealed games?

I guess it's a common practice for Asian shops.

I bought a handfull of NOS games in a shop in Asia. The carts were all inside baggies.
The vendor also placed a little sticker on the back of the cart. It seems it was the date of purchase of the batch.

I still haven't played my NOS KOF2000 ( will do it someday, relax... ). I can take a few pics when I'll get back home.

My Slug 3, KOF99 and Sengoku 2001 also were like that.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
As far as sealing games go, all of the soft box games (i.e. 1995 and prior) had that big clear sticker on the side. Some people would peel that off and stick it on the inside of the case. When the clamshells came out they kept using it through about 96/97 but then they ran out or stopped using them. A couple games (Samurai 4 comes to mind) used that tiny little colored round Neo logo sticker instead. I'm rather certain that after 1998 all new AES games were not sealed in any form... you had the case, the cart, and the manual (with baggie) on top of the cart and that was it.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
As I noted earlier, NOS games that came with cart baggy protection. I'm pretty positive it was the shop owner who placed em tho.

IMG_20160623_200738.jpgIMG_20160623_200926.jpg

I'm rather certain that after 1998 all new AES games were not sealed in any form...

You never saw one of these???? :eye::eye:

IMG_20160623_201301.jpg

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Are you telling me that I am fucked and my whole AES sealed collection is a lie ?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Never in my life... What game is that??
and yea, those cart baggies were put on by shop owners, not SNK

KOF99.

My KOF98 also has that sealing sticker. I have/had a few more like these. Only in JAP releases tho.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I always thought that new games just came with a little transparent neo sticker on the side. I have a few Aes games from Japan that came in little baggies as well.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I just looked at them again and I'm amazed I've never noticed they're not even the same!

If you look closely, the sealing sticker is different. I now wonder if there are other varitions.

IMG_20160624_193856.jpg

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The few AES games i got brand new Magacian Lord, Nam 75, KOTM2 & Robo Army in '92 just had the usual sticker. I couldn't believe as expensive as the games were that they weren't even sealed. SNK some cheap bastards.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The few AES games i got brand new Magacian Lord, Nam 75, KOTM2 & Robo Army in '92 just had the usual sticker. I couldn't believe as expensive as the games were that they weren't even sealed. SNK some cheap bastards.

Without a doubt, most of the retail price in AES carts went towards paying for the circuit boards and especially the ROM chips. SNES and Genesis cartridges were infamously expensive precisely due to ROM chips. Star Ocean and SFA2 on SNES/SFC used a decompression chip to save money on ROM chips.