RaspberryJAMMA or GroovyMAME setup

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Tired of using my pandora 3 and want a better solution. Right now i currently use a supergun (Vega jr.) with two PVMs, one being TATE (RGB) and one normal (S-video). I'm not really familiar with MAME, or Raspberry Pi, and I'm not sure what would be the better solution.

As for games, i intend to play CPS 1,2,3 stuff, some NEO stuff, and some shmups. I also want to possibly stream the content in the future. What do you guys feel will be a better setup to use. All advice is appreciated

Link to RasberryJAMMA: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=363338

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
DecepticonZero is a tremendous source of knowledge for MAME. He has it set up in his Naomi cab and it looks flawless whether it's hori or rated.

I remember there being something said about a JAMMAPi or something like that - I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd link to it.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
A Windows PC with a reasonably fast CPU running GroovyMAME, an ArcadeVGA, and a JPAC is the best setup I can recommend. Some people are using a software solution instead of AVGA, but I prefer hardware. Raspberry PIs are good for emulating only the most basic stuff and make for a sluggish experience overall.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love my Pi, but a GroovyMame PC shits all over it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
A Windows PC with a reasonably fast CPU running GroovyMAME, an ArcadeVGA, and a JPAC is the best setup I can recommend. Some people are using a software solution instead of AVGA, but I prefer hardware. Raspberry PIs are good for emulating only the most basic stuff and make for a sluggish experience overall.

I tried using an RPi for emulating CPS1 (Punisher and Cadillacs). It ran, but they were too sluggish to be played.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Nothing beats a good mame setup. I'd recommend going legit pc and groovymame or even regular mame.

When I had my blast. I had a simple core2 pc. It had a ati video card that I used with soft15khz. Configured mame to just output correct aspect ratios and refresh rates. My blast was a manual sync which I left at 15khz. I had no issues. For controls, I wired up a couple of x360 controllers to a male jamma finger board in a project box. That way I could go from mame to x360 in my blast with just unplugging usb cords from the pc over to the xbox.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Cps1 cps2 cps3 and neo run flawless on the Jamma pi. Anybody who says different must be using a raspberry pi (old model) and not a pi2 or 3. (For reference a pi is 700mhz and a pi3 has a quad core 1.6ghz processor)
Pi3 is cheapest simplest solution as its already preconfigured if you buy the setup mentioned above.
All that said a nice mame PC is obviously better but once you add up arcade VGA card, keyboard encoder, and PC it's more expensive so can't really compare the two if price is an issue.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Having a groovy mame setup seriously makes you question why you even own the real thing...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
A 3.0 GHz C2D Dell with a $35 ATI card and a JPac is all you need. Install groovymame and crtemudriver and you're good to go. All in you're under $200.

There is a good thread on here with lots of informative posts by Todd and Stellarolla if you decide to go groovymame.

Last edited:

leonk

Marked Wolf
Forget the ArcadeVGA (had 2 of them in the past decade). Get an ATI Radeon that Crt emu supports and install atom firmware on it. together with groovymame youre in mame nirvana

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
A 3.0 GHz C2D Dell with a $35 ATI card and a JPac is all you need. Install groovymame and crtemudriver and you're good to go. All in you're under $200.

There is a good thread on here with lots of informative posts by Todd and Stellarolla if you decide to go groovymame.

Did a search and couldnt find the thread. I know todd has a video on his youtube where he talks about groovymame. If u can link me the thread it would be much appreicated

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So i have a PC with the following specs. Would these sufice for groovymame and running cps 1,2 and neo games?
Intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz
4 gb ram
ATI radeon HD 3800

Currently the PC has vista but i plan on putting xp on it

Tech&Music

Another Striker
So i have a PC with the following specs. Would these sufice for groovymame and running cps 1,2 and neo games?
Intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz
4 gb ram
ATI radeon HD 3800

Currently the PC has vista but i plan on putting xp on it

Those would not only suffice, those would exceed what you need to emulate those systems easily. That Core 2 Quad, which I assume is a Q6600, is in my secondary computer and that can still pull modern games decently. 4GB of RAM is plenty, and that card is supported by the CRTEmu, so all in all you're quite set for GroovyMAME.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Those would not only suffice, those would exceed what you need to emulate those systems easily. That Core 2 Quad, which I assume is a Q6600, is in my secondary computer and that can still pull modern games decently. 4GB of RAM is plenty, and that card is supported by the CRTEmu, so all in all you're quite set for GroovyMAME.

Awesome. Now i just need to work my way around setting it up. I am pretty new to MAME, so its going to be some trial and error. Thanks for all the help guys.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Actually, you need a LOT of CPU for framedelay 9 in GroovyMAME. Basically, buying the fastest Intel desktop CPU available today isn't "too much" for a GroovyMAME setup. The other thing to keep in mind is that MAME is going to continue to get slower and slower as time goes by. This is just the reality. As it becomes more accurate, requirements are almost definitely going to increase. Don't cheap out on the CPU. Get the best one you can afford.

Also, Pis are complete crap. If you're running an arcade cabinet without an ASIO build (GroovyMAME or no), you're doing it wrong. ASIO audio is mandatory for the best experience. You're not going to get anything even approaching that quality with a shitty Pi.

Last edited: