Dreamcast VGA confusion

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hmm, so retron 5 might work then?

For the DC I was just using a straight VGA cable to a VGA to DVI adapter. Not a convertor only a $5 adapter. To get it to work with my monitor I'll need something like in the ebay link you posted?
Refer to Tech&Music's post above, that cable is meant for DVI-I ports, you have DVI-D, won't work. If you need more confirmation my Sony KV-34XBR800 also had DVI-D, and during the time I owned it I looked up if any Sony HDCRTs had VGA support, none did.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Not only would it not work, it would not even fit. Those cables have 4 pins, 2 above and 2 underneath the little grounding blade next to the row of pins on the connector. The jack on the TV does not have sockets for those pins, so if you would try and plug them in, you'd hit those pins against the jack, and pushing it in would break them. And those four pins are responsible for analog RGB and HSync, with the VSync being the pin on the upper row on the edge, on the side of the grounding blade. So you'd break your connector and get no video.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Not only would it not work, it would not even fit. Those cables have 4 pins, 2 above and 2 underneath the little grounding blade next to the row of pins on the connector. The jack on the TV does not have sockets for those pins, so if you would try and plug them in, you'd hit those pins against the jack, and pushing it in would break them. And those four pins are responsible for analog RGB and HSync, with the VSync being the pin on the upper row on the edge, on the side of the grounding blade. So you'd break your connector and get no video.

Sorry but Im not 100% sure what you mean. If you mean the female DVI port on the TV and the male DVI connector on the adapter - I bought the vga to dvi adapter that matched the port on the tv. At first I bought a general common adapter but then could tell they did not match before installing, so then I bought the correct one. (yep, I should have looked first...or just asked these questions before wasting money)

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Sorry but Im not 100% sure what you mean. If you mean the female DVI port on the TV and the male DVI connector on the adapter - I bought the vga to dvi adapter that matched the port on the tv. At first I bought a general common adapter but then could tell they did not match before installing, so then I bought the correct one. (yep, I should have looked first...or just asked these questions before wasting money)

You've bought a VGA to DVI adapter that fitted in the Sony TV's female port? Odd, since one that would fit there would lack the analog R, G, B and HSync pins, thus making the entire adapter useless.