Best wire gauge for console mods?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I often see video mods done with pretty high guage wire. Anyone have a suggestion? Solid core, I assume.

I imagine this is the weakest link in the cable chain, would it be best to use the largest wire possible, or at such short lengths would there be no benefit?

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I prefer to use stranded wire because they are much more flexible and it easier to route them. For video/audio i like to use 22-24 AWG (probably go up to 26 AWG if i am working in a very tight space) and for voltage i like to use 18-20 AWG ... It overkill for the amp that gonna be used but i like overkilling stuff.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I use stranded, it flows better and easier to work with. Most mods I use 24awg since there isn't much draw on the power so anything higher isn't really needed. For grounds I usually use the next lower gauge so if signals are 24awg then ground would be 22awg. Wire gauge usually doesn't matter for low draw things unless it's longer than 6ft.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Thirded using stranded wires. I use 26 AWG for most connections, a thicker one for grounding. I don't use anything thicker than 22 AWG in my mods.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I use 30AWG for signal connections, and 28-26AWG for power and ground connections. For an analogue signal, a shielded stranded cable is preferred.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I use 30AWG for signal connections, and 28-26AWG for power and ground connections. For an analogue signal, a shielded stranded cable is preferred.

is 26AWG enough for the power requirements of an MV2F? it seems too thin...

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
don't mean to hijack, but any recommendations on an affordable soldering iron/gun?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
don't mean to hijack, but any recommendations on an affordable soldering iron/gun?

You can't go wrong with Weller IMO. If you are cheap (like me) get a soldering iron, if you want something professional, get the soldering station.

uiengineer

You can't go wrong with Weller IMO. If you are cheap (like me) get a soldering iron, if you want something professional, get the soldering station.

Iron should work fine. The best wattage for one of these is what? 45W? So it doesn't ruin the board?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Iron should work fine. The best wattage for one of these is what? 45W? So it doesn't ruin the board?

I use a 40W and so far it has worked fine with everything, however once it lifted the traces on a board.

uiengineer

Cool. Thanks all. The wire information was good too. Something I was also wondering about.

And sorry ResO :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Or you could ball hard and get a Hakko 888 series soldering iron. It's a bit more expensive, but I have yet to hear a single person say it wasn't worth it after buying one.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
There's lots of good brands.

JBC's are good too. Great price/quality ratio.
I myself prefer soldering stations. Usually, the cord is thinner. Thus giving you better work conditions.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Or you could ball hard and get a Hakko 888 series soldering iron. It's a bit more expensive, but I have yet to hear a single person say it wasn't worth it after buying one.

Yep. I'm def in that camp.

And I use 26 and 30 for most of my modding. When making superguns I dip lower.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So, my question got forgotten...

Not for powering the 2 slot but for video and other things, yes. For power on a consolized 2 slot I'd recommend 20awg, you can probably get away with 22awg if you keep it short enough. I usually use 18awg since I don't stock 20awg.