The Most over rated shooters

What is the most over rated shmup?

• Total voters

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Pulstar is definitely underrated.

Underrated... overrated... whatever -- fact is, it's definitely and totally different to the other two.

Omitting the obvious distinctions as orientation, origins & presentation, to die in Pulstar is an ultimate punishment, while in both other games, it summons the ultimate gratitude. The only moment, where being shot is required in Aicom's masterpiece, is in the final battle, in order to use the infamous Double K.O. technique for scores higher than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

That said, this list is weird and interesting.

jtucci31

n00b
Soukyugurentai i'm not a fan of - i've never been very good at lock-on shooter mechanics, but of games that use that mechanic - this is the best i've played. The ship selection is standard far slow/power / average / fast/weak, but the music in this game is outstanding as are the explosion effects and boss fights.
I completely agree. I can never get too into lock-on shooters. One of the first games I got for my Saturn was Layer Section and I just thought it was ok and not quite up to the praise it gets. Too much going on for me. Though Soukyugurentai is just the right amount for me to still enjoy, I think it's pretty playable without having to use much of that mechanic in that game, though it obviously does help.

And I agree with Ikaruga too. Was excited to finally try it out at Galloping Ghost and just thought it was ok. Wouldn't pay much money for the DC port or anything like that, though I don't think it sucks. I'd just rather play other shooters with less gimmicks

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
One of the first games I got for my Saturn was Layer Section and I just thought it was ok and not quite up to the praise it gets. Too much going on for me.

wrong.gif

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I completely agree. I can never get too into lock-on shooters. One of the first games I got for my Saturn was Layer Section and I just thought it was ok and not quite up to the praise it gets. Too much going on for me. Though Soukyugurentai is just the right amount for me to still enjoy, I think it's pretty playable without having to use much of that mechanic in that game, though it obviously does help.

I would think that it would be the opposite. Different strokes, I guess.

And I agree with Ikaruga too. Was excited to finally try it out at Galloping Ghost and just thought it was ok. Wouldn't pay much money for the DC port or anything like that, though I don't think it sucks. I'd just rather play other shooters with less gimmicks

"Too many gimmicks"? There's really only the polarity-based one and maybe--MAYBE--the chaining system.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Ikaruga. I suck at it, thus overrated. :p

Didn't see the poll. I like the first 2 games, never played the 3rd.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Horses for courses, but i think layer section is a brill shooter.
And just to stir the pot i think pulstar is way, way overrated, it's not bad, but just doesn't do it for me.

jtucci31

n00b
Haha ok fair enough, my explanation was shit, I admit it. Don't mean to say either of those games are bad by any means, still enjoy playing them.

But Layer Section, I shamefully admit, is more of a "I suck at it so eh" thing.

In short, I need to put in some more practice :oh_no:

Silvergun7

n00b
Haha ok fair enough, my explanation was shit, I admit it. Don't mean to say either of those games are bad by any means, still enjoy playing them.

But Layer Section, I shamefully admit, is more of a "I suck at it so eh" thing.

In short, I need to put in some more practice :oh_no:

Layer Section is such a classic: give it some more time and I promise you'll enjoy it. I'd argue it's more underrated than anything. There are Saturn shooters that go for two or three times the price of Layer Section and are nowhere near as good

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
Radiant Silvergun

After years of listening to people say how great it was, I played it and thought it was just meh.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Radiant Silvergun has a deep combo system, if you play through it using those mechanics, you'll see what Treasure was trying to do and in effect usher in Ikaruga's gameplay mechanic.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Radiant Silvergun isn't one you can just pick up and enjoy, you really have to get into the combo system. I used to dislike this game until I realized I'd been playing it completely wrong.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Radiant Silvergun isn't one you can just pick up and enjoy, you really have to get into the combo system. I used to dislike this game until I realized I'd been playing it completely wrong.

I feel like I'm in this boat as well and that includes Ikaruga too. I just can't enjoy this style of gameplay but I can't say I've given either enough of a chance though.

grimmythereaper

Quiz Detective
Radiant Silvergun has a deep combo system, if you play through it using those mechanics, you'll see what Treasure was trying to do and in effect usher in Ikaruga's gameplay mechanic.

ill have to get it another try if thats the case, maybe this weekend

xorthen

Banned

Yep. I remember the first time I played it I was blown away. So many great things at once, phenomenal soundtrack, amazing attention to detail, every little enemy ship. It's a visual masterpiece. I don't think I'll ever play a shmup with such a perfect system. I even tried to get into the combo system and was only able to do the first stage succesffuly. Those combos are necessary to power up your ship if you are playing arcade mode.