The Most over rated shooters

What is the most over rated shmup?

• Total voters

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Touhou. Even though I've never tried one.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Touhou. Even though I've never tried one.
Don't feel bad about that. Most of the "Touhou fanbase" doesn't play them either. :thevt:
On a more serious note, you have to really like grazing to get the most out of them.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Gradius 1-4, Eliminate Down

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
How could you make a poll like this and not include Ikaruga, or Ketsui, or Radiant Silvergun, or Gradius 5, or Raiden DX?

You dropped the ball big-time. :shame:

xorthen

Banned
I'll give you Gradius 5 poison. But, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are two of the best shmups I've played. And I have played a shit load of them. But, feel free to make your own poll if you think they are over rated.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
How could you make a poll like this and not include Ikaruga, or Ketsui, or Radiant Silvergun, or Gradius 5, or Raiden DX?

You dropped the ball big-time. :shame:

Seconded, at least one Treasure game should've made it. Talking about that company adds the needed adrenaline to even the most shiftless threads. They're priceless.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Garegga is great. Hard as hell but still fun.

Pulstar is horribly overrrated.

Soukyugurentai ho-hum.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Ikaruga, because I suck at it. My inefficient brain can't handle the constant switching. :(

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm going to have to go with Ikaruga as well. I love the mechanics of the game but the textures, backgrounds, and models were just so boring to look at. If they had spiced up their designs a bit I think I'd love the game way more.

Silvergun7

n00b
I have to agree with you on Einhander. Still a good game, but far from the Playstation's best shooter as some people claim it to be. Presentation is still top notch (especially that OST, hngh)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
agreed, einhander is a good game, the presentation being the best part of it. the only gripe i have with the game is that when ever there's a top 5/10 best shmups of all time list, einhander always makes it on there some how.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
agreed, einhander is a good game, the presentation being the best part of it. the only gripe i have with the game is that when ever there's a top 5/10 best shmups of all time list, einhander always makes it on there some how.

I think people overhypeit just because it's a Squaresoft game.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Another vote for Ikaruga, like a lot of treasure games it's got a quirky gameplay gimmick, but in this game the constant changing between black and white get's to be a chore, prop's to them for trying something but it doesn't work for me.
Horse's for course's, but i love einhander guy's, a top ten favourite shooter of all time for me.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Treasure's shooters are very different compared to any other shmups, but that doesn't make them bad at all. Overrated? Sure, if they're in top 5 or 10 or whatever lists. But I still think they're both great.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
When treasure get it right (which is most of the time), it's gaming nirvana.
I love so many of they're games but not Ikaruga unfortunately.

fake

15 Year Member
It's definitely hard to go back to after playing Cave shooters, but for it's time, it was amazing. Definitely blew me away. I still remember grabbing it on launch day for GC.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
None of those are overrated. Pulstar is high level rote memorization and very well made for the time it was released. I imagine it would bore most Wii-era gamers to tears. It isn't gorgeous and it isn't easy if you only try it half a dozen times. You have to be a fan of early 90's horizontal shooters and if you are; this is one of the better ones.

Pulstar is definitely underrated. It's a very good take on the "slow meticulous" subgenre that has largely gone away. Most people give up and move onto Blazing Star, which is a shame. Although with that said, I still think R-Type, R-Type 2 and Super R-Type are better than Pulstar.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Pulstar is definitely underrated. It's a very good take on the "slow meticulous" subgenre that has largely gone away. Most people give up and move onto Blazing Star, which is a shame. Although with that said, I still think R-Type, R-Type 2 and Super R-Type are better than Pulstar.

Pulstar > R-Type 2

Ikaruga, because I suck at it. My inefficient brain can't handle the constant switching. :(

I kinda know what you mean. After a lot of practice on level 1 and 2, it's still mind boggling. My REAL problem is just getting past level 3 in any way tbh (granted I've only played on hard without continues :P). I literally haven't seen the rest of the game, or the stage 3 boss because I want to get there myself, and I'm too stubborn to change difficulty because I want the, "full experience" lol.

Btw I'm new here, hi :)

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
OP'S list sucks.

Touches his first boob and makes a post rating "top ten titties of the Eurasian Steppe... IMO"

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Garegga because 99% of the people who claim it's awesome don't know the first thing about how to play it, nor will they ever be able to understand how daunting BHmk2 is and then have to face Glowsquid directly afterwords. Have fun with that.