The Most over rated shooters

What is the most over rated shmup?

• Total voters

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Wayne rooney (AKA shreck), everytime he pulls the trigger the ball ends up in the second tier of the stadium.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i don't think any of those shooters are overrated. specially soukyugurentai. the only shooter that comes to mind that i would say is overrated is einhander and maybe gates of thunder. and even then, gates of thunder is a great game, just not amongst the greatest. what you should do is a most underrated shmup poll.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
My folks had a cat that got old and became a total spray and pray shooter. :annoyed:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
shoot-her-secret-window-24890196-500-181.gif

xorthen

Banned
What are your guys most disliked shooters? I only listed those three because those are the three I always hear people talk about and I can't say I was a big fan of any of them.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
None of those are overrated. Pulstar is high level rote memorization and very well made for the time it was released. I imagine it would bore most Wii-era gamers to tears. It isn't gorgeous and it isn't easy if you only try it half a dozen times. You have to be a fan of early 90's horizontal shooters and if you are; this is one of the better ones.

Battle Garegga is listed Top 5 all-time on every respectable poll i've seen and ranked that high - it still isn't over-rated. The medal chaining is an easy mechanic but very difficult; particularly stage 3 and beyond. Use of rank is as well done here as in any game. There are many ship selections and the differences aren't just color like in some games. The increase of speed, power, and bomb from one ship to the other is instantly noticeable and finding one to match your playstyle is part of the charm and genius of this game. It plays fast and hard, but fair.

Soukyugurentai i'm not a fan of - i've never been very good at lock-on shooter mechanics, but of games that use that mechanic - this is the best i've played. The ship selection is standard far slow/power / average / fast/weak, but the music in this game is outstanding as are the explosion effects and boss fights.

Now for over-rated shmups...Bullet Soul bored me to tears and was highly praised. It played with a lot of noise and bullets, but stages were too long, too repetitive, and allowed you to sit in the pocket too comfortably. It might be deeper than it appears, but I was too bored to find out.