Official Ng.com Members Cooking Thread...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Looks good, I make my oxtail stew base pretty much as shown here. Then I add a bit of allspice, celery root and a handful of diced bacon (gets roasted with the meat to give it colour and taste), one or two laurel leaves, ground pepper, some tomato paste and let it simmer down until the meat almost falls of the bone and the liquid has been reduced to one third. Gets served with potato or Bohemian dumplings, steamed or baked potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, various steamed vegetables, etc.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Cheaper cuts of meat are well tasty long as you slow cook them, oxtail is dirt cheap and so's offal which is another favourite of mine.
Heart, liver, kidney's i'll eat the lot.
Pig's liver, bacon and onions in gravy with spuds or chips is one of my favourite scoff's of all time.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Cheaper cuts of meat are well tasty long as you slow cook them, oxtail is dirt cheap and so's offal which is another favourite of mine.
Pig's liver, bacon and onions in gravy with spuds or chips is one of my favourite scoff's of all time.

Where you get your Oxtail from?... it's £6.50 a kilo in Tescos...

xROTx

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

How do you get over the vile blood taste of liver. It's like chewing on a mouth full of coins.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Looks good, I make my oxtail stew base pretty much as shown here. Then I add a bit of allspice, celery root and a handful of diced bacon (gets roasted with the meat to give it colour and taste), one or two laurel leaves, ground pepper, some tomato paste and let it simmer down until the meat almost falls of the bone and the liquid has been reduced to one third. Gets served with potato or Bohemian dumplings, steamed or baked potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, various steamed vegetables, etc.

Your farts must smell ruthless after this meal Tak.

cat

Where you get your Oxtail from?... it's £6.50 a kilo in Tescos...

xROTx

Morrisons rot, much better butchers counter in there.

How do you get over the vile blood taste of liver. It's like chewing on a mouth full of coins.

Old skool boy DZ, brought up on tripe, liver, blood sausage, pig's cheeks and rabbit.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Morrisons rot, much better butchers counter in there.

Old skool boy DZ, brought up on tripe, liver, blood sausage, pig's cheeks and rabbit.

British flavor pallet must be substantially different assuming.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
this is very familiar, looks really good. My girlfriend champions in soups and stews and unless its something really fucking weird, I always love what she makes. I have never had ox tail, I'm going to assume its more of a thing in the UK than in the US, but we've made plenty of stews cooking pork off the bone like this and ooooo baby

i recommend black pepper, salt, basil, and paprika. those are like my 4 go-to spices

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Looks great! Can we share our own dishes.....???

Gonna try that tmw

cat

British flavor pallet must be substantially different assuming.

I'd give bear grylls a run for his money DZ, but i draw the line at fish eyes and bull's testicles.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
im about to make linguine with red clam sauce. i seem to have a hard time finding other ppl who eat this or have ever eaten it... its like a staple of my childhood. anyone?????

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
im about to make linguine with red clam sauce. i seem to have a hard time finding other ppl who eat this or have ever eaten it... its like a staple of my childhood. anyone?????

I've never really cared for red clam sauce myself, but then I don't care for tomato based sauces anyway. Way too much acidity for me.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I've never really cared for red clam sauce myself, but then I don't care for tomato based sauces anyway. Way too much acidity for me.

I think it is a very mild red sauce. I also am a fan of white clam sauce, I'll eat both interchangeably.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

If you grew up in an Italian household, this is a staple. My nonna used to make this all the time.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ok, I need to get this off my chest. Why do people use the word brought in place of the word bought?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If you grew up in an Italian household, this is a staple. My nonna used to make this all the time.

how did she make it??? i seem to just love it straight up with no real spice or anything, somtimes i put basil or feta cheese on it. curious to hear how others enjoy this SUPER DELICIOUS UNDERRATED MEAL

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This thread needs MOAR COOKING PICS... and recipes...

xROTx

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
next time i make something that looks tasty im gonna take a pic of it

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
how did she make it??? i seem to just love it straight up with no real spice or anything, somtimes i put basil or feta cheese on it. curious to hear how others enjoy this SUPER DELICIOUS UNDERRATED MEAL

Bay leaf. She was big on just a dash of salt and pepper and a few bay leaves.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

I will say that there is a huge difference in taste between using canned clams vs fresh ones. It just tastes right when you make marinara and simply pour a can of clams into it and let it simmer for 15 mins. Fresh littlenecks cooked In the sauce is too high class for me.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I will say that there is a huge difference in taste between using canned clams vs fresh ones. It just tastes right when you make marinara and simply pour a can of clams into it and let it simmer for 15 mins. Fresh littlenecks cooked In the sauce is too high class for me.

i would love to try fresh. i always make canned, sometimes i add even more clams. i've never had the opportunity to use fresh clams, and i never see the dish as an entree when I go anywhere. i don't go to classy restaurants often though

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member

Sugar cuts the acidity. Brown sugar specifically keeps the flavor rich and is subtle as opposed to white sugar making things just taste 'sweet'.

I think I'll post some recipe's up pretty soon with pics as well. Everyone who tries my potato salad loves it; they always say it tastes like what you'd get with southern bbq. What I don't tell them is that it's quite healthy and virtually fat free.

God bless mustard, and onions!