I never played ActRaiser

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
SEGA to the end.
MD is home to the best action/platformers EVER.
Shinobi 3 and strider are the pinnacle for me with this particular genre on the 16 bit systems.
But give me megaman and castlevania game's over AC2 on the snes any day.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'd say that you lost your window to really dig it.

This. It's like guardian heroes in that sense....you just had to be there.
Playing it now is pretty fucking meh.

Just youtube a nice hassle free playthrough, let your mind wander a bit before snapping back into reality.....unless of course, you're GregN and the escape back to adolescence/childhood is the only thing stopping you from killing yourself.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
This needs correction. It was the first game I bought along with gradius on SNES. The sim elements really set the game and it helps strengthen you for the action combat. The second game is awful. It lacks the sim which sucks but the busted mechanics of the jump and land model of the warrior is annoying as hell. Its beautiful more than the first and sounds great but the controls I think suck a bit. Also they cheaped out with a password as the first used a battery.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've been going through Terranigma the last week or so, but all this talk about Actraiser makes me want to play the sim parts again.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i agree that the first game is the better out of the two, but i did enjoy playing actraiser 2 more.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Actraiser was awesome--one of the first SNES games I ever got and I played the shit out of it (the music is wicked awesome too). I still fire it up every now and then. I tried Actraiser 2, but didn't get too far, and, without the simulation parts of the original, it just didn't hit the same buttons for me.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've played the SFC version first. Never knew what was going on, but I managed to finish the game.

Played it recently, mainly to test it on my SD2SNES for someone who had glitching issues on their SD2SNES. I planned on playing just for a few minutes and be done with, but I ended up finishing the game within 3 days. Forgot how fun that game was.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Did anyone here like this? I remember staying away from it at the video store when I was a kid because no why. Was the god part or the sidescrolling parts more fun? Sidescrolling parts look a lot like SCIV from what I can tell.

I dunno. ActRaiser discussion, go ahead

Neither have I and I've owned a copy for over ten years now... Damnit I am changing that this summer.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I lov(ed) it...so much that I have it for both the SNES and SFC.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Neither have I and I've owned a copy for over ten years now... Damnit I am changing that this summer.

WTF how do you buy a game and just never play it, even after ten years

Get on it Steve, and then bump this thread in August when you do finally maybe play it for ten minutes

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dude, generic shuffle puck and mine sweeper. Shit was tight.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Ok, sure 1 is your favorite, but what do you know about 2 in order to make the claim above.

What do you know about the downstab?

You're right, I just like it. Like others said, Actraiser 2 should have been called something else. It's a good game on it's own, but It didn't meet my expectations as a kid.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok, I have more time to reply now.

I think that Actraiser was a masterpiece for its time.

Again, at the time, it was a gorgeous game with an amazing soundtrack. It had a perfect blend of side scrolling action and SIM that kept you in the mix the entire time. As stand alone pieces, either element would have been an ok game, but mix the two and it was perfect.

Sadly, they thought no one liked the SIM portion so they scrapped it on part 2...which really killed the game. The most tragic part is how stunning part two looks, it is easily one of the best looking SNES games made...that just happens to b boring, overly difficult and with broken mechanics.

Long story short, I love the original. Ill still play it through every couple of years.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Love the first game. Owned it. loved it. I can still hear the music. The 2nd came out. Rented for a weekend. Beat it. Haven't played it since...

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I enjoyed the sidescrolling/ platforming levels of Actraiser and kind of wished the whole game was like that. The whole Sim City thing was never my cup of tea. I know there's an original Actraiser kicking around here somewhere but I don't believe I've ever actually played the 2nd game.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Smokehouse sums it up nice short and sweet covering it well. I still think ActRaiser has held up well though. Sure it's not as pretty as the sequel, but that game is so broken in so many ways it's just sad and I annoyingly spent money buying that crap thinking it was like the first. :(

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
@AlexKidd86: Actraiser does have a bonus "professional" mode where you can just play nothing but the action segments if you wish to do so, but you have to beat the game once to access it. Playing it that way definitely gives the experience a different feel--I love the simulator portion of the game myself, even though those segments aren't particularly challenging.