I never played ActRaiser

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Did anyone here like this? I remember staying away from it at the video store when I was a kid because no why. Was the god part or the sidescrolling parts more fun? Sidescrolling parts look a lot like SCIV from what I can tell.

I dunno. ActRaiser discussion, go ahead

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This is a disgrace, all the while admitting it as nonchalant, as you did is equally simpatico... anyway you HAVE got to play both Raiser's for Koshiro's OSTs alone. The first is even more iconic and if one holds in mind, that it was a launch title, then the more stunning it becomes. Of course, if you didn't played it back then, you won't feel that nostalgia kick and chances are, both games might even disappoint you. Let's hope not.

Regarding the sim part, many feel that this is the true ActRaiser and they despise the second game, which let go of it. I see it the other way around. The sim is nice, I definitely love the kindness it radiates, but am more attached to the action levels. Good thing is: the game lets one decide, weather or not to play it with the sim or, just action oriented, without.

For me, the second Raiser offers the better God experience, with the story unfolding with each stage beautifully. Conceptually it's more compelling, too. But that's just an arguable and very subjective opinion. The majority loves the first part's sim more, than the actual game. And I fully understand it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
It's been a very long time since i played actraiser and actraiser 2, so my memory of them is a little hazy.
First one is definately the better, the mix of action platforming and sim management works very well, note though that the sim part is very basic nothing too taxing to be found here.
Boss fights are great fun the music is excellent and as OC said a really good game considering it's an early release for the sysytem, nothing to fault in it really.
Unfortunately the second game is a bit of a turd IMO sim parts are gone and the controls are way worse than in the first game, you got wings in this one and i'd end up flying and floating around the screen like a spaz taking loads of hits from enemies.
Also worth noting how slow your character moves, it's like controlling a snail. Soundtrack is not one of koshiro's better one's either but it's still good, the only thing really improved are the visuals, which are really top class.
Graphics do not a good game make though so i'd avoid the second game personally, i only played the first few stages and threw the towel in, much better action/platformers to be found on the snes.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I was big on sim city at the time so I liked expanding my villages. Then when stuff hit the fan I would come down to earth and smite some bad guys. This made the game enjoyable for me having action, rpg like stories, etc. the action stages are pretty weak by today's standards but still really fun.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Great game. When the humans discover music in the first game, and start playing that tune, it's very moving.

Actraiser 2 was shit.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Actraiser 2 is pretty great. Most people just complain about it because it was missing the simulation aspect which for some reason a lot of people liked, including myself, but having it missing in the sequel wasn't a deal killer for me.

The first is also great, it has this simplistic sim city aspect and extremely minor puzzle solving to find your way to the next boss area. All the boss areas are side scrolling action platformers that are pretty fun to complete. Solid game overall, definitely worth a playthrough if you missed out.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've always felt like Actraiser manages to be much more than the sum of its parts. On their own, both parts of the gameplay seem mediocre to me, but together they make an amazing game.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I had somehow managed to never play Actraiser until some time last year (I didn't have a SNES growing up). I was just bored one Sunday so I fired it up, and ended up sitting there playing it for hours.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
ActRaiser is one of my favorite games of all time. I play it maybe once a year and it never gets old.

I have always been pissed they never did anything else with it. AR2 doesn't count. Without the Sim, it isn't ActRaiser to me. When the DS first came out, I really thought it was a great platform for a new ActRaiser. Expanded Sim with the touchscreen, with action on the top screen.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
ActRaiser is one of my favorite games of all time. I play it maybe once a year and it never gets old.

I have always been pissed they never did anything else with it. AR2 doesn't count. Without the Sim, it isn't ActRaiser to me. When the DS first came out, I really thought it was a great platform for a new ActRaiser. Expanded Sim with the touchscreen, with action on the top screen.

I have populous for the ds cheap,
haven't gotten bored enough to give it any time.
Act raiser was a very accessible game.
The action was pretty good and the sim portions was not so difficult that they became onerous, or as difficult as a something populous. And as mentioned by turf, the soundtrack is terrific.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
For those who have played through several times, check out the Japanese version for extra challenge. There's lots of little changes that add up and really beef up the difficulty.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The first time I played Actraiser was after reading through a thread here about top SNES games or something like that a couple years ago. I went looking to pick up the cartridge and was surprised by the price, but once I got a copy, I was really happy to have taken the recommendation from that thread. The game has tons of personality and tells a story that I found myself really interested in unfolding. I agree that the sum of it's parts is greater than the individual elements that make up the game to have given us something special, and then I figured, "well why not try the sequel?"; it's unfortunate that the ball got dropped fro the second game (visuals were about all that was impressive there), but the first will remain a classic.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Actraiser 1>Actraiser 2

I've played through the 1st one so many times. It's super fun, and the graphics and music are awesome. My favorite level is blood pool, where the backdrop has that parallax scrolling fire lake in the background.

The scaling effects were mind blowing when I was a kid.

cat

Yeah i've played through the first game many times, i was bitterly disappointed with the sequel.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I am in the same camp as sage

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It was an unexpected surprise for me when it came out. It was one of the first SNES games i played.

All the magazines showed the side scrolling shots. I never noticed anything that mentioned the world building. That was pretty much it. Imagine how surprised we all were when it turned out to by half Populous / half Action combat.
Genre blending usually turns out very poor, but in the end I actually liked the world building just as much as the action scenes. 8.5/10 as a launch title.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
You know, I haven't played AR2 in 20 something years. I still have my copy, I'm going to pop it in this week and play it again.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those of you who say that ActRaiser 2 has bad controls really need to start sucking less. The controls are complicated, but absolutely perfect once you figure out what the hell you are doing. It is an outstanding game, hard as balls, but you need every single move at your disposal to survive. It's certainly going to appeal to different people than ActRaiser 1 though, as 2 is a super hardcore action game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Those of you who say that ActRaiser 2 has bad controls really need to start sucking less. The controls are complicated, but absolutely perfect once you figure out what the hell you are doing. It is an outstanding game, hard as balls, but you need every single move at your disposal to survive. It's certainly going to appeal to different people than ActRaiser 1 though, as 2 is a super hardcore action game.

Agreed. It's also one of the best looking games on the system, if it had a different name it wouldn't get half the shit it does.

cat

Been about 15-16 years since i've played either game so maybe it's time to dig AR2 back out and give it another go.
I bought the game cart only and never did much more than button bash on it, and failed miserably i may add.
Like i said earlier though it's very pleasing on the eye.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I'd say that you lost your window to really dig it. Even those that recently (within the last 15 years) sourced it or tried it still will never know the feeling of it fresh and new. So I'd say listen to the music and enjoy it that way. That's the thing with SNES, it had colors and fucking tunes. I hated that motherfucker (SNES) even while I had that sweet shit, SEGA to the end.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ok, sure 1 is your favorite, but what do you know about 2 in order to make the claim above.

What do you know about the downstab?

Downstab makes Hard entirely possible because you're completely invulnerable during it, also the downward attack from a double jump. 2 Is an amazing game that gets overlooked because it was lacking a simulator.

Best part about 2 is beating it on normal only for the game to laugh at you and tell you to try hard mode for the real ending.