Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Getting the perfect combo Flat monitor for neo geo + xrgb, and mame.

  1. #1
    Geese's Thug
    bytestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sweden

    Posts
    274

    Getting the perfect combo Flat monitor for neo geo + xrgb, and mame.

    I was just about to order my xrgb mini + scart selector when I start finding posts about horrendous inputlag. ...

    Since I have no space for a CRT in my small appartment I must go for flatscreen monitor + xrgb mini for my consoles.

    The consoles I will use it for is:

    Famicom (composite)
    Super Famicom (RGB)
    Neo Geo AES (RGB)
    PSONE (RGB)

    And I want a screen that has lowest possible inputlag but still can be used in tate mode (TN panels not recommended?).

    The combo xrgb mini + selector is 50.000yen (468 $) so I really don't want to be dissapointed with inputlag when I need to spend a lot more cash on consoles and games also.

    I have read so many different posts about hdtvs and monitors and it's so mixed how ppl experience the "inputlag" (??).

    I really don't want to find myself in the situation buying a new AES, flat screen monitor, xrgb, scart selector, and after that the inputlag is unbearable ...

    I should mention that the size I am opting for is 27". Checked a bit about this one S27E650X

    Please tell me that there is a way for me to enjoy neo geo without getting a crt. .. it's just not possible to have nor get a crt now but I want to play neo so badly.... (not on emu)

    I am by no means a pro gamer. So please feel free to recommend monitors.

    Sorry for any spelling mistakes. . I am on my 4th strong zero now and getting all nostalgic and missing my crts I had in Sweden ; (
    Last edited by bytestorm; 06-11-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    Neo Geo is just plain awesomeness.. gotta love it!

  2. #2
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    12,780
    If you're not pro, yours not going to notice the lag. I have my AES hooked up to my LED TV and can barely notice the lag.

  3. #3
    Geese's Thug
    bytestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sweden

    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    If you're not pro, yours not going to notice the lag. I have my AES hooked up to my LED TV and can barely notice the lag.
    Do you have a xrgb mini in between? That one will increase the lag.. making your choice of tv/monitor more important
    Neo Geo is just plain awesomeness.. gotta love it!

  4. #4
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    12,780

    Getting the perfect combo Flat monitor for neo geo + xrgb, and mame.

    Quote Originally Posted by bytestorm View Post
    Do you have a xrgb mini in between? That one will increase the lag.. making your choice of tv/monitor more important
    Yes I do. I mean really, unless you are super sensitive to lag, you won't notice it. I was able to beat Pulstar last night with about the same score I always get. Last Resort was the same way. Considering you can't use a CRT, worst case scenario? You'll get used to the tops of 2 frames of lag.

  5. #5
    Hollywood Hulk Gohan GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hollywood, CA

    Posts
    10,766
    The majority of input lag comes from the tv, not the xrgb mini. That's where you need to focus your attention.



    The mini has 16 ms input lag I think? My plasma adds 40 to that, and being a plasma is one of the best tvs you can get for lag. Do I notice it? Yeah, I do. Can I still play SF3? Absolutely. Punch Out NES is the only game I can't play, I can get far but I can't beat Tyson unless I'm on a CRT.



    If lag is that much of a concern focus on the smaller Asus panels that they use for gaming. If money is no object use a DVDO VP50 chained to a xrgb 2, only 6 ms lag their.
    Last edited by GohanX; 06-11-2016 at 03:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Akari's Big Brother
    kuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In the year 2248

    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Punch Out NES is the only game I can't play, I can get far but I can't beat Tyson unless I'm on a CRT.
    You could be a used CRT salesman.

  7. #7
    Geese's Thug
    bytestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sweden

    Posts
    274
    As far as I understand, the new pc monitors are even faster than HDTVs?

    Can't find any info about this one I am looking at and inputla though.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27.../dp/B00YQKR0X0

    But when I played mega man 9 and 10 on my plasma with my ps3 it was unbearable . Missed so many jumps
    Neo Geo is just plain awesomeness.. gotta love it!

  8. #8
    Gandalf Of Gibberish
    Karou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US

    Posts
    4,669
    nice try karou!
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsun...g-image-page-2

    its not the right one.
    . https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CO29OcRsx...utterflies.gif

    Quote Originally Posted by Viewpoint View Post
    I don't like struggling to read shit from someone who's obviously first language is English.

  9. #9
    Hollywood Hulk Gohan GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hollywood, CA

    Posts
    10,766
    Quote Originally Posted by bytestorm View Post
    As far as I understand, the new pc monitors are even faster than HDTVs?

    Can't find any info about this one I am looking at and inputla though.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27.../dp/B00YQKR0X0

    But when I played mega man 9 and 10 on my plasma with my ps3 it was unbearable . Missed so many jumps
    PC Monitors don't have all the processing bullshit that TVs have which is a big part of what causes lag. The downside is that they tend to be more expensive than an equivalent sized TV.

  10. #10
    Super Spy Agent

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PL

    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by bytestorm View Post
    I was just about to order my xrgb mini + scart selector when I start finding posts about horrendous inputlag. ...

    Since I have no space for a CRT in my small appartment I must go for flatscreen monitor + xrgb mini for my consoles.

    The consoles I will use it for is:

    Famicom (composite)
    Super Famicom (RGB)
    Neo Geo AES (RGB)
    PSONE (RGB)

    And I want a screen that has lowest possible inputlag but still can be used in tate mode (TN panels not recommended?).

    The combo xrgb mini + selector is 50.000yen (468 $) so I really don't want to be dissapointed with inputlag when I need to spend a lot more cash on consoles and games also.

    I have read so many different posts about hdtvs and monitors and it's so mixed how ppl experience the "inputlag" (??).

    I really don't want to find myself in the situation buying a new AES, flat screen monitor, xrgb, scart selector, and after that the inputlag is unbearable ...

    I should mention that the size I am opting for is 27". Checked a bit about this one S27E650X

    Please tell me that there is a way for me to enjoy neo geo without getting a crt. .. it's just not possible to have nor get a crt now but I want to play neo so badly.... (not on emu)

    I am by no means a pro gamer. So please feel free to recommend monitors.

    Sorry for any spelling mistakes. . I am on my 4th strong zero now and getting all nostalgic and missing my crts I had in Sweden ; (
    Since you seem to be very conscious of lag I am not sure that you will be fully satisfied with the XRGB Mini, especially given its cost and need for configuration / fine tuning of the settings. Maybe you can revisit getting a CRT - in Sweden, you can probably get a nice 14" CRT TV with Scart RGB for next to nothing on local classified ads and it wouldn't take up that much space.
    Regards, MtothaJ

  11. #11
    Geese's Thug
    bytestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sweden

    Posts
    274
    I don't know how it will be but right now where I live I haven't seen any CRT at all in the hardoffs / bookoff / secondhand shops in saitama . And The space they take up is just a bit too much.... 14" might be OK but I honestly would hope to have a image size around 20"~ in 4:3. And a 20" CRT starts getting quite big

    I am really split in this... man ppl say that I will not have any problems with input lag but a equal amount of ppl tells me that it will be a problem... .. The last option it probably to just play the games using emulators but that feels so sad . I want to use the original hw. .
    Neo Geo is just plain awesomeness.. gotta love it!

  12. #12
    King's Dry Cleaner
    johhnnyD14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston

    Posts
    393
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Made you look


    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Retards with credit cards.

  13. #13
    Haomaru's Blade Shiner
    Reclaimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area

    Posts
    825
    EDIT - Framemeister adds about 20ms input lag. That's just over 1 frame. If people are telling you to worry about the Framemeister they are either hyper pro robots or just full of shit. Framemeister is amazing, especially so on 240p content. Get it, and focus your lag reduction efforts on your display.


    Each TV is different, and some LCD TVs (even newer LED lit LCDs) have horrendous lag. While I totally agree that a frame or two lost is easily able to be adapted to if even noticed, once we get up to these TVs approaching 55ms lag, adding in some XRGB lag, you are around 4.5 frames lag or more depending on your setup. You can definitely start noticing it, even if it isn't super detrimental to your play.


    When I moved my XRGB away from my living room's ultra fast plasma to a older bedroom LCD, I immediately noticed the lag. Not enough to ruin the experience, but enough to remind me how poor LCDs used to be for gaming. Luckily tech has improved!

    Picked up one of these, love it. There might be something newer now, this was a couple years ago.

    ASUS VN279QL 27" Full HD 1920x1080
    Amazon Link Only $209 with rebate this month.

    It has about 12ms display lag, which is really great. Decent stand with rotate for tate games (though it only rotates in one direction, just like almost every monitor, so you'll need a software solution for games that are rotated the opposite way. I've never had a problem with this) It has some illusion of speakers, but you should really be running legit speakers apart from this monitor.

    Review from DisplayLag.com HERE (Side Note - DisplayLag.com does have some good info on the monitors they've been able to test.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; 06-12-2016 at 09:31 AM.

  14. #14
    Geese's Thug
    bytestorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sweden

    Posts
    274
    Thanks for the tips!! I will spend some more time to think about if it's all really worth it.. when i lost momentum I kinda stopped and started thinking if it's all really worth it. Right now, in the position I am in.. i might just wait a bit :/..
    Neo Geo is just plain awesomeness.. gotta love it!

  15. #15
    We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.
    ChuChu Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US

    Posts
    2,160
    Testing input lag via human interaction is inherently flawed. LCDs use scanning and update from top to bottom, so input lag usually has three different numbers (one for top, one for middle, and one for bottom). You need to do this to get an accurate result and even then this is a average. Remember, lag is cumulative in a chain all the way down to the monitor that you use and what controller you use. Sure 20ms of lag may seem small (1 frame = 16.66ish ms for 60fps), but you need to combine that with a tv and your controller (usually not a problem on retro consoles unless ps360+ custom stick/converters, unless they fixed it in a update) and that can push it easily into the 2-3 frame range.


    http://www.displaylag.com/testing-method/
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 06-15-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665

  16. #16
    Chin's Bartender
    city41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Jose area

    Posts
    1,552
    With my xrgb mini + monitor (Samsung S27C750P) I can't quite get the AES syncing correctly. There's a video "hiccup" about once every 3 seconds or so, it's pretty annoying. All other systems are fine. Something to watch out for.

    if it's all really worth it
    A proper xrgb setup is expensive as hell. But holy fuck it looks amazing.
    Last edited by city41; 06-18-2016 at 01:30 PM.

  17. #17
    Haomaru's Blade Shiner
    Reclaimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area

    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by city41 View Post
    With my xrgb mini + monitor (Samsung S27C750P) I can't quite get the AES syncing correctly. There's a video "hiccup" about once every 3 seconds or so, it's pretty annoying. All other systems are fine. Something to watch out for.



    A proper xrgb setup is expensive as hell. But holy fuck it looks amazing.
    Did you play with the manual sync settings? I had to for any Neo Geo systems.

  18. #18
    Chin's Bartender
    city41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Jose area

    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Did you play with the manual sync settings? I had to for any Neo Geo systems.
    Yeah I played with it for a long time when I first hooked it up. The manual settings make the hiccup either worse or better, but it never completely goes away.

    I actually don't play my AES anymore because of this :-/ but I can play MVS and Saturn, so I still get most Neo fixes I want.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •