Euro 2016

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
both teams are nervous...

Muhahahaha... P E N A L T I E S . . . . ! !

x R O T x

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
A little cagey at full time, let's see if one of the side's is going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck in extra time.
Look's like pens at the moment though.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I hope the Italian and German members don't come to blows after this...

...Fran is a football hooligan at heart...

xROTx

PS. Tak will invade Italy with pyrotechnics if he loses...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Too tactical. Rules should be changed that when regulation time ends, all starters must be replaced by the subs for 7 on 7.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Germany vs. Italy is always a chess game. That's the best thing about it, since both schools teach tactics from the cradle. I also sense an incredible angst in our team: penalties. No big tactics here, just pure entertainment.

cat

That was a crazy penalty shootout, lot's of nerves from both sides.
Some awful pen takes, but it make's for good drama for the neutral, tak could probably do with some valium after that though.

cat

Agreed wasabi that was some good drama there.
Nothing quite like it in sport, i love a bit of one on one

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Penalty Shootout was awesome. Italians wanted a penalty shoot out and they got it. I'm glad Germany won, they were the better team. What was the deal with ZAZA's penalty kick? Not only did he look like a clown but he completely misses the target.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Now, that was embarrassing. But I guess, breaking the mold always is. Glad we brought this one home, our own private finale.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Dumb decision to take Chiellini out.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Oh man...

Went to a friend of mine for a nice footie party, and what a party it was in the end! :)

I had a good feeling right from the start, then Özil scored and I almost fell out of the window of the living room while cheering like mad... the following penalty killed the fun again, and during the last minutes of extra time, I started to sweat... fucking penalties... they almost killed me, watched it with my head half-buried in the sofa pillows, then Hector nailed the coffin shut and I screamed at the top of my lungs, completely lost my voice now. :D

I have no recollections how I got back home, woke up half an hour ago on the sofa and it took me another half an hour to find my glasses, forgot where I had put them. Finally found them in the fridge... don't ask...

So... THE CURSE HAS ENDED! :) That was a game for the history books, man. Wish I've been there in Bordeaux.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Man... THAT was great:D

I sat there... imagining Tak was in the garden... smoking 20 cigarettes.. and a Dram of Whisky in his hand... while the shootout out was on..

It's only penalties man:p

xROTx

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I was a goalie in my active days and have an inkling how it feels to be down there and shooting it out in a big-ass stadium, it's completely nerve-wrecking and brings in a level of randomness that I don't like.

Ah well... I'm happy we won, now let's see who will be our next opponent.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
One pretty good (but hard to watch) game that was. It was clear to see how tactics were changed - through that Germany dominated the second half.
The penalties were truly nerve wrecking, mad respect for those players.

brings in a level of randomness that I don't like
very true - at least the better team won in the end...

Wtf was Boateng doing with that handball btw.? I don't get it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
One pretty good (but hard to watch) game that was. It was clear to see how tactics were changed - through that Germany dominated the second half.
The penalties were truly nerve wrecking, mad respect for those players.

very true - at least the better team won in the end...

Wtf was Boateng doing with that handball btw.? I don't get it.

Haven't made my mind up yet whether I like the tactics change or not. With more emphasis on attack, the game could have ended 2:0 for us in regular time.

The handball was quite stupid if you ask me, dunno what he was thinking standing in the box waving his arms like that. Guess he was a bit nervous, just like Basti when he pushed that guy shortly before he scored the first goal that got cancelled. Not very pro-like but understandable, given the situation.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So Iceland's foray ended last night with a whooping 5:2 for France. Good game, nice to watch and no penalties, thank the footie god for that! Kudos to Iceland for fearlessly taking on all those continental-European heavyweights, been a real pleasure to see them defeating one high-paid team after another.

France play very well if you give them enough room, guess this is what Löw will go against next Thursday. Will be interesting to see which tactical setup he is going to chose, something tells me that it will be back four (Viererkette) again.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So Iceland's foray ended last night with a whooping 5:2 for France.

Well, the end result is a bit misleading -- it could've been easily 5:4. Iceland had two 100% chances and only luck prevented them from becoming goals. Then there was a hand involved inside the penalty area, clear penalty, unfortunately refused be the referee.

In the end, it was a wild & careless game by the home team, wich will have to escalate the quality of its defense at least two steps up when playing against les boches.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, the goals by Iceland showed a French defense that looked a bit confused at times. If they open up holes like that against us, we will have a field day with them.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, the goals by Iceland showed a French defense that looked a bit confused at times. If they open up holes like that against us, we will have a field day with them.

Hahaha... now you're talking, Tak ;). The only downside is the fact, that we'll play against the host and especially Les Bleus are very efficient in exploiting this psychological advantage (see European Championship '84 & World Cup '98, the latter including an unforgettable Depardieu performance on a walking cane).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hahaha... now you're talking, Tak ;). The only downside is the fact, that we'll play against the host and especially Les Bleus are very efficient in exploiting this psychological advantage (see European Championship '84 & World Cup '98, the latter including an unforgettable Depardieu performance on a walking cane).

From what I've seen from the French team so far, it's obvious that they have some really gifted players and know their way around the pitch. I'm also quite sure that they will drop the laissez-faire footie they played before the Iceland game and give all they got to kick us out. Then again, the host thing has two sides, positive and negative. While it's true that the French are good at using psycho tricks, being the host also puts lots of pressure on them, specially if they're playing against us, so I guess things are quite balanced in the psycho/morale department at the moment.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If both teams keep up their performance and dedication, it's going to be a hell of a game. Definitely looking forward to it more than Wales - Portugal.