Euro 2016

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Word is, they're so into Premier League, that practically nothing else exists. And if I look at the money they make there, I almost believe that. The other major "misunderstandings" are England's recent managers: A-W-F-U-L. Example: How could they nominate that Swede? Eriksson pushed English international football back to the dark ages... and then some. The FA should develop some ambition fast and change their attitude towards international championships or it's not going to work. Like ever.

Nobody badmouths Sven and gets away with it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Every time england fall flat on their faces in a competition people jump to their defence in terms of there being too much pressure heaped on the players. England expects, all that kind of thing.

I can't remember a competition in my lifetime that people expected less from an England side. There's been no media fanfare, no vocal expectations from any of the usual quarters in fact. And in the face of historically low expectation, England have still managed to under perform!

It almost makes me feel proud.
:keke:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Last night was just embarrassing for England, but well done to Iceland, they deserved the win. I'd love to see them do the same on Sunday :)

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Every time england fall flat on their faces in a competition people jump to their defence in terms of there being too much pressure heaped on the players. England expects, all that kind of thing.

I can't remember a competition in my lifetime that people expected less from an England side. There's been no media fanfare, no vocal expectations from any of the usual quarters in fact. And in the face of historically low expectation, England have still managed to under perform!

It almost makes me feel proud.

Brexit II?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
True.

I just want to know what really happened here. I mean, I occasionally watch Premier League games and see lots of great players whose skills are on par with many European teams but somehow England is unable to put together a decent national team.

Maybe they need new perspectives and a coach who can see the writing on the wall.
None of the good premiership players are English. And the half decent English players that do exist are boosted by having other quality players from around the world around them on the pitch.

In short crap+crap= crap, and crap+good=crood.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
None of the good premiership players are English. And the half decent English players that do exist are boosted by having other quality players from around the world around them on the pitch.

In short crap+crap= crap, and crap+good=crood.

True, also the fact that those half decent English players never get to play in other leagues makes them one-dimensional. Not a drop of evolution is possible this way. No inspiration either.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've got some Polish beers ready for this evening. I'm hoping they can knock Portugal out, they really don't deserve to still be there.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Poland - Portugal 4:5 (after penalties)

This was an excellent game, like a real finale. After having two Hungarian shots in their box in the match against Hungary, this time the Portuguese shoot one themselves. Still, it was again a great effort from this team. They figured out, that the only way to stop Poland was through exhaustion. While Portugal has a top reserve bench, Poland had to play the whole time with the same players. In regards to that missed penalty, well...

The only one that bothered me a bit was Blaszczykowski: he just tries too hard to be a hero.

If you try to be better than your team -- you had your own penalty coming.

xsq

I worked too much/hard yesterday and slept through the whole second half... doesn't feel like I missed much honestly...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So what do you guys think about Wales - Belgium today? Anyone think Wales can implement some sort of strategy and get a win?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
With luck involved anything's possible, tho I strongly doubt it. BUT: Wales forms a team, while the Red Devils base their power on individuality and egotism. The latter of those two characteristics might bite them in their ass.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have nothing against Belgium but want Wales to win, would be kinda cool and also quite deserved, they play well and have a high morale.

xsq

I just placed my bet - 2:1 for Wales :D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I just placed my bet - 2:1 for Wales :D

61 minutes... and it's 2 - 1 to Wales... mmhh... not very often you're right around here...

...So I've come up with a plan... GHOSTING:D

xROTx

PS. Great match so far... better than that boring one last night...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Once again, being one team proves to be the one thing that really counts. That, and Rot's cheering... Excellent game, I'm glad that Wales won this so high, against one of the most charmless teams in these championships. Belgium go home, and think about a better coach.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The second shittiest involuntary exit from europe suffered by Belgium in a week due their shitty management.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Germany vs Italy Tonight...

I usually plump for the underdog no matter who's playing but this one is TOUGH... BOTH these teams are well matched... SO...

GO GO PENALTIES!!!!

xROTx

xsq

61 minutes... and it's 2 - 1 to Wales... mmhh... not very often you're right around here...
I was right for 31 Minutes, it was good...

I usually plump for the underdog no matter who's playing but this one is TOUGH... BOTH these teams are well matched...
Italy's team is way older, that's why I like them :D

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Penalties make me nervous even when Germany aren't playing but if they do, I'm always bordering on a heart attack... so please, no penalties this time.

There's a fair chance for us to win this one so let's see what happens. Italy are kings when it comes to defense and dangerous with their counters, they have a lot of experienced players and can read an opponent very well. Then again, experience in football can also be a burden, a young man of 20 usually hasn't seen all those dramatic Italy - Germany matches of the past first-hand and thus is not as influenced by the myths surrounding these games than some of the older Italian players. Traditionally, these games get hyped to the moon and back by the sports media and there always is that nemesis talk. Okay, it's true that Germany weren't able to win against Italy in Euro matches for decades now but that doesn't mean that this series couldn't find an end tonight. I would be very happy to say the least if it would. :)

Let's hope for a good and fair game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Okay, it's true that Germany weren't able to win against Italy in Euro matches for decades now...

We never won against Italy in European Championships and World Championships. It's the Bela Guttman syndrome, and it works, no matter how young the players are, they don't even have to be the same nationality -- just check out the average age and the collocation of Benfica's last three teams during their UEFA Cup confrontations against Seville. Of course, some day it has to stop... but today is not the day it will. I give our boys 5% chances. Make it count, National Elf!