Euro 2016

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm disappointed. There's a very motivated, highly skilled English team, a superb Dier direct free kick and a functional defense, but in the end a draw, as if they forgot that something like additional time exist. Damn. Kodos to Berezutski tho, that header was a 10/10.

England hasn't disappointed in disappointing its fans since 1967.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
First half was the best I've seen England play in a long time, a rare treat. Second half gave Russia the chance to work out how to hold the ball which stifled the play.

Bullshit last minute goal, so I'm not worried about that so much. Overall happy.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I agree with stevenk, and extend this credit of happiness, because top tier teams are known to play better with each game on international tournaments. There's a simple reason for that: players from such teams earn their money in the bast leagues, which means the highest exhaustion. This tiredness wears off during play time, the next matches should be better.

The other thing worth the mention in this context is the extremely difference between club football & international tourneys. The time you spent with your club team is intense and lasts most of the year. Contrary to that is the little time left, that you play in your national team. It's a tough difference of gameplay and the bigger it becomes, the better your club is.

Here, it all comes down to the coach. Within the rare occasions, when a national trainer sees and practices with his players, he's not only got to form a team out of them, more important is to motivate them properly. In this case, a psychological placebo is worth more, than tactical finesse. This panacea has got to do with pride to play for your country, the love you've got for it. In short: it's all about feelings.

So when I heard about 50k of English soccer fanatics singing "God Save the Queen" in Marseille, I knew they understand that concept. Let's hope that Hodgson does, too. Otherwise, there's only Wasabi's prediction left.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I agree with stevenk, and extend this credit of happiness, because top tier teams are known to play better with each game on international tournaments. There's a simple reason for that: players from such teams earn their money in the bast leagues, which means the highest exhaustion. This tiredness wears off during play time, the next matches should be better.

The other thing worth the mention in this context is the extremely difference between club football & international tourneys. The time you spent with your club team is intense and lasts most of the year. Contrary to that is the little time left, that you play in your national team. It's a tough difference of gameplay and the bigger it becomes, the better your club is.

Here, it all comes down to the coach. Within the rare occasions, when a national trainer sees and practices with his players, he's not only got to form a team out of them, more important is to motivate them properly. In this case, a psychological placebo is worth more, than tactical finesse. This panacea has got to do with pride to play for your country, the love you've got for it. In short: it's all about feelings.

So when I heard about 50k of English soccer fanatics singing "God Save the Queen" in Marseille, I knew they understand that concept. Let's hope that Hodgson does, too. Otherwise, there's only Wasabi's prediction left.

Dont get me wrong, I said I'm happy for now, but I'm also 100% confident that Wasabi's prediction will come true :(

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, I know -- that's why I called it "extended credit". They now have to proof their solvency ;). Yet, their reserve bench alone reads like the who's who of today's Premier League's finest. I'll revise: England is motivated to win this time. Let's see, how consistent their will is.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've only seen the opening match on Friday... France clearly had the better players but their game was so stiff. I guess it's no longer an advantage to play "at home", rather a disadvantage because everyone expects more of the hosts.

Watching Turkey - Croatia now...

What do you guys think about the extension of the team numbers?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Put the BVM to good use and watched the Poland - Northern Ireland game while doing some stuff on the PC:

2016-06-12 18.42.45.jpg

Not a terribly exciting game, but the 1:0 result was both expected and deserved given how both teams played.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
My money's on England and Russia to be kicked out from the euros by the End of week.
Holy crap it's disturbing to see what's be going on and personally it's not going to stop any time soon.
And if the England can't behave with their Welsh neighbors then it's definitely game over.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Not a terribly exciting game, but the 1:0 result was both expected and deserved given how both teams played.

I don't agree, it was very exciting. The savant-like style of play of Norn Iron and the gently desperate passion of the Bialo Czerwoni was a perfect smash-up. Lewandowski has got to be one of the finest players alive, an allround talent like Deyna, blessed with Lubanski's intelligence. Also Kapustka was a treat. The only one that bothered me a bit was Blaszczykowski: he just tries too hard to be a hero. But the team is so much better with Robert as captain.

Anyway, this was a historical victory, kudos!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Okay... Allemagne trois points.

I kinda liked the match Germany - Ukraine, it wasn't that much of a test for the new setup since the Ukrainians only woke up in the second half but the system seems to have its positive sides. Boa's nervous long passing at the beginning was a bit silly, thankfully it became more precise later on, guess it was the usual premiere tension. Neuer excellent as always, good passing, bit of a shaky defense at times, nice late goal by Schweinsteiger, overall a decent cup starter I would say.

I'm really looking forward to Germany - Poland during the group phase, this is going to be an important test for the lads.

xsq

Saw that game too, Ukraine was astonishingly good in the first half, very impressive. Hope they keep it up. Germany was lucky in the first but stronger in the second half, a deserved victory.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
My money's on England and Russia to be kicked out from the euros by the End of week.
Holy crap it's disturbing to see what's be going on and personally it's not going to stop any time soon.
And if the England can't behave with their Welsh neighbors then it's definitely game over.
Nice to see monkeyboi bale stirring up the pot as well neoman. He's been goading the english team with some pretty stupid comments last day or two, great player but he need's to keep those kind of remarks for the dinner table.
You may well be right with england and russia getting the boot, more chest puffing nonsense to come on wednesday/thursday, no doubt about it.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Saw that game too, Ukraine was astonishingly good in the first half, very impressive. Hope they keep it up. Germany was lucky in the first but stronger in the second half, a deserved victory.

Agreed.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member

I hope it doesn't come to that but have a horrible feeling you might be right.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I kinda liked the match Germany - Ukraine, ...

Me, too. It was the opposite of that tiresome German Efficiency. Our team played very exciting, and that was due to the mistakes they made & fixed in real time. There was much joy in their play, which made it a joy to watch.

The game against Poland will be, as always, very nerve-racking, but more on the Polish side. Loew & Co. don't have to proof anything, they won the last international cap against them and are clearly the better team now, yet, if fortune intervenes, it could end up different. It's very unlikely tho.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Nice to see Iniesta pulling the strings for Spain again top top player virtually Spain gave the Czech Republic no time on the ball the Possession stats were ridicules 67 % in favour

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The Italy game last night was the most enjoyable so far for me. I liked how much the Italians seemed to care and want to win it, they really put the effort in.

xsq

The Italy game last night was the most enjoyable so far for me. I liked how much the Italians seemed to care and want to win it, they really put the effort in.
If you're old, play dirty to win ;)

I liked it a lot, too. Lots of good team play on the Italian side.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
If you're old, play dirty to win ;)

I liked it a lot, too. Lots of good team play on the Italian side.

Yep, they did start getting a bit tired and desperate to hold on to their lead at the end. But they made it, with a few questionable moves, and even managed a second goal. I'd like to see them go far this year. The English team need that kind of passion.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Portugal - Iceland 1:1

...a/k/a another underdog does it. There sure was some luck involved, or better: bad luck on Portugal's side (just check the statistics); yet, and this question has to be asked, where's that landmark Portuguese defense? Benfica, Braga, Porto... the Primeira Liga is full of excellent defensors and equally congenial defense concepts. Well, CR7: Hungary won't be any easier. There's hope tho that Austria will take F-group's whipping boy part. But who'll be second worst?

Edit: Of course, it's too early for decisiveness, some conclusions are obtruding themselves though.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
All teams have played once now, right?

So... who are you rooting for or betting on ? I have to say that I'm still none the wiser, there have been no big surprises yet, maybe except Portugal - Iceland but I guess that was just a slip on Portugal's part, we all know that they can do better.

Of course I want Germany to win but I'm open for your ideas :D

StevenK

10 Year Member
All teams have played once now, right?

So... who are you rooting for or betting on ? I have to say that I'm still none the wiser, there have been no big surprises yet, maybe except Portugal - Iceland but I guess that was just a slip on Portugal's part, we all know that they can do better.

Of course I want Germany to win but I'm open for your ideas :D

I haven't learnt a great deal from the first round of matches if I'm honest - what I'm taking away from it though is that I don't see any of the so called dark horses taking it this time round, they all seem to be dead horses already, and I'm also going to say that I think England, despite a disappointing result, played well enough to get out of the group stage.

There are no real clear favourites this time round, and in those circumstances Germany usually do well. As such, no change in prediction from me.

xsq

I just don't know - nobody really stood out... we have a pool going at work, I bet on France because the chances are very little people have bet on them as well. Guess this tourney will stay interesting, which is a good thing.