CPS2 replacement battery question

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
I'm looking to find a good reliable source for ordering some new batteries for a few of my CPS2 boards. Would absolutely hate to see these awesome games die out over such a simple fix ... Thanks guys !!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
If you install sockets and don't need the axial lead, can buy 1/2AA batteries at RadioShack. At least you can check the battery expiration dates in person.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'm also in the market for CPS2 batteries. Thanks for the resources, people!

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I bought 1/2AA batteries and sockets from Mouser for my few CPS2 boards.

it helps to have a desoldering gun to make the change-out fast and avoid accidental suicide, but you could always buy a spare axial battery and solder it further along the leads to give you plenty of time to remove the old battery and replace it with a proper socket.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
If you install sockets and don't need the axial lead, can buy 1/2AA batteries at RadioShack. At least you can check the battery expiration dates in person.

it helps to have a desoldering gun to make the change-out fast and avoid accidental suicide, but you could always buy a spare axial battery and solder it further along the leads to give you plenty of time to remove the old battery and replace it with a proper socket.

Yep, this is what I do, solder the one time, then never have to deal with it again.

Curious though, where do you two get your sockets? I need to pick up a few more and the place I normally dealt with in Ontario went out of business.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

You have roughly 30-45 minutes before the table gets wiped. Lots of time to desolder a battery.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You have roughly 30-45 minutes before the table gets wiped. Lots of time to desolder a battery.

It can be a lot less if the capacitor that holds the charge is damaged, especially with aging. Someone should do a video soldering a battery with helper battery.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Hell yeah, was about to start looking around for these too. Need 3 of these for some Asia boards I recently picked up. Thanks bout to order now .

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
How long is the expected battery life when using AA's? Some boards are still on the original caps surprisingly, curious what the boards lifespan is on the AA's.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I'd say once every 5 years, just to be safe, unless your board is in an actual arcade and spends much of its time actually powered on, and therefore wouldn't be draining the battery.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I would stay away from the battery holders and just use the axial-lead batteries. I had a 3rd Strike cart die for seemingly no reason. Turned out the holder was at fault - the battery was still reading 3.6V.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I would stay away from the battery holders and just use the axial-lead batteries. I had a 3rd Strike cart die for seemingly no reason. Turned out the holder was at fault - the battery was still reading 3.6V.
That hurts my heart to hear, Turd Strike is one of the best

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How long is the expected battery life when using AA's? Some boards are still on the original caps surprisingly, curious what the boards lifespan is on the AA's.

Ya those original batteries are damn good as long as the storage conditions were right. I just checked one this weekend and it was from 93 and was still pushing 3.67v and board was clean and no leaking at all.

The generic ones I used back in 2006 are still pushing 3.6v.