[Something]makaimura: Best versions and favorite weapon?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
It's a shame I hate that fucking game :lolz:, but you're right, I've been on a Makaimura binge lately so might as well get the ghosts and the ultimate version out of the way.

at least the arrenders in GnG can be killed much easier on lvl 4 (I usually just approach them until a certain point, then knife them down as they rise - at least that worked on the saturn :)

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Here's a quick video I made to help you out. Just remember how they work, if you try to attack them while they're hovering in the air, they'll dodge up or down but if you're close enough you can still get the hit. The other key thing to know is, if you force them to dodge by almost hitting them, it resets the time it takes for them to swoop. This is pretty key so you can position yourself (I did it a couple of times, purposely making him dodge so I can run to the other side of the screen).

The other things I forgot to mention is if you see the arremer do a small swoop and stay high in the air, it means he's going to do another one immediately after it so be prepared. You can also reset his swoop timer by scrolling him off the screen, and he'll just follow you around. Just remember he'll always go to the ground to do his stupid dance if he shoots a fireball or the 3 imps if you don't attack him after, this is usually a free hit if you can point blank him and chase him back into the air.

It's much easier on this stage to lure them all back to the starting point because you have more area to deal with them and you get plenty of time for the stage. I did this with the lance, its much easier with the dagger. Hope this helps!

Awesome of you - thanks! I had a similar tactic in the end (jumping back) but didn't find out the timings yet (and that you can "reset") so I got hit too often - this will be a great help.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This thread made me want to play super ghouls again.

But I ashamed. No good anymore, lol.

I couldn't get past level 3 (using one credit only) on professional today. Might still do pretty good on normal, I'll have to fire it up again and practice.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I can't speak for some stuff, but I have for the old original GnG a soft spot for the NES release, it's on GBC too but it's squished so it suffers a little. Then you have Ghouls n Ghosts, had this on both the SMS and Genesis, both have personality but the Gen one edges it out if anything just because the specs allow it to. SuperGnG that obviously at least went to the GBA as well, had both, and while I do appreciate the randomizied added mode and the saves on the GBA game even if the resolution isn't hurt bad (like on the box on GB for GnG) I still prefer the SNES release as it just does justice to the game far better across the board.

I've dabbled with the Win98 only and under / HP palm device version from 15 years ago, it was damn nice on the PC and the palm version wasn't bad but I'd never recommend it unless you are into S&M with your games because the controls on the device are shitty and it all lags too, bad perspective as well (same for 1942 though the vertical was right though on that.) I've dabbled with GnG on the PSP, never grabbed me much but it was really decent too.

Of all the old weapons since everyone runs for the knife (and the needed kill shot shield) the one I found most useful but also the most damning is the torch. Sure the range is shit, but even on the weakest level it will incinerate the crap out of anything it hits, and anything dumb enough to fly/erupt/run into it before it peters out for added effect. It's like a halfassed offensive shield as it goes, problem being you only get 2-3 and if you miss you're exposed horribly until it burns away.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Just let me know if I'm clogging the thread, not trying to toot my own horn or anything and don't want to appear that way, but I beat Ghouls 'N Ghosts for Genesis/Megadrive the day it arrived in the mail having never played that version before lol. The platforms on stage 2 confused me as they made it easier from arcade and moved some of the broken bridge pieces around. Sucks the colors are muddy, missing animation frames and awful audio rendition but the core gameplay is there and it's great. The game even ranks up the same way the arcade version does in that if you don't die you get a higher frequency of enemy spawns and enemies attack more frequently, it's very noticeable when you get to the crystal forest and the worms and stone pillar heads shoot twice at you in quick succession. Wish I had this as a kid but sadly I didn't have a Genesis growing up, just a NES and TG16.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Just let me know if I'm clogging the thread, not trying to toot my own horn or anything and don't want to appear that way, but I beat Ghouls 'N Ghosts for Genesis/Megadrive the day it arrived in the mail having never played that version before lol. The platforms on stage 2 confused me as they made it easier from arcade and moved some of the broken bridge pieces around. Sucks the colors are muddy, missing animation frames and awful audio rendition but the core gameplay is there and it's great. The game even ranks up the same way the arcade version does in that if you don't die you get a higher frequency of enemy spawns and enemies attack more frequently, it's very noticeable when you get to the crystal forest and the worms and stone pillar heads shoot twice at you in quick succession. Wish I had this as a kid but sadly I didn't have a Genesis growing up, just a NES and TG16.

Nah bro you are fine, have you had the chance to ever play the PCE Supergrafx version? Its really great port I'm gonna give it hell to try and do a 1cc you inspired me lol.

First time firing it up on the S.G. I made it to the worm boss stage 4 w/o dying but accidentally got stuck w/ the blue torch so it was over. Hopefully get to put more time into it soon.

Nice on the Genny clear, I had it as a kid but it was too much for me back then.

Pasky

Nah bro you are fine, have you had the chance to ever play the PCE Supergrafx version? Its really great port I'm gonna give it hell to try and do a 1cc you inspired me lol.

First time firing it up on the S.G. I made it to the worm boss stage 4 w/o dying but accidentally got stuck w/ the blue torch so it was over. Hopefully get to put more time into it soon.

Nice on the Genny clear, I had it as a kid but it was too much for me back then.

Yes I have, I love that version and it's my favorite port of the game. I've only played it on emulator. I wish I had gotten a super grafx back in 2004 when they were like $100~ with daimakaimura but I can't justify spending $300+ and then $100+ for the game now. That's more than I paid for my actual GnG arcade PCB :lolz:.

Interesting thing about the Super Grafx version also is you can't skip the double Asteroth fight, you have to fight them both because there's an invisible wall in the super grafx version until you kill both of them. Post up when you get the clear!

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yes I have, I love that version and it's my favorite port of the game. I've only played it on emulator. I wish I had gotten a super grafx back in 2004 when they were like $100~ with daimakaimura but I can't justify spending $300+ and then $100+ for the game now. That's more than I paid for my actual GnG arcade PCB :lolz:.

Interesting thing about the Super Grafx version also is you can't skip the double Asteroth fight, you have to fight them both because there's an invisible wall in the super grafx version until you kill both of them. Post up when you get the clear!

Yeah they are very pricey now. I had my bro mjmjr25 get my system and a bunch of games for me. I think he got the system for $150 iirc w/ OG PSU and Ghouls n Ghost was like $60 or 70 can't remember. That is interesting about Asteroth din't know that. I hate the part on stage 5 when you go up the ladder and fight the two heads from stage 1 boss on each sides of the walls. Don't know why but that part on the arcade version caused me to loos my armor a good bit of the time.

Back on GnG, I beat the arcade of Ghosts n Goblins on Xbox Capcom classics. But it took many many tries on stage 5 & 6, 1-4 is easy for the most part. Now stage 6 is stuff nightmares are made of, I get irritated now just thinking how much shit there is to deal with lol. I reckon the NES version is even harder than arcade imo. I never have had the patience on the NES one it was my 4th game I got when I was a kid and many controller were broke because of it.

Last edited:

Pasky

Yeah they are very pricey now. I had my bro mjmjr25 get my system and a bunch of games for me. I think he got the system for $150 iirc w/ OG PSU and Ghouls n Ghost was like $60 or 70 can't remember. That is interesting about Asteroth din't know that. I hate the part on stage 5 when you go up the ladder and fight the two heads from stage 1 boss on each sides of the walls. Don't know why but that part on the arcade version caused me to loos my armor a good bit of the time.

Back on GnG, I beat the arcade of Ghosts n Goblins on Xbox Capcom classics. But it took many many tries on stage 5 & 6, 1-4 is easy for the most part. Now stage 6 is stuff nightmares are made of, I get irritated now just thinking how much shit there is to deal with lol. I reckon the NES version is even harder than arcade imo. I never have had the patience on the NES one it was my 4th game I got when I was a kid and many controller were broke because of it.

LOL, the NES is pretty bullshit. The famicom version of it is even harder, Arthur's fire rates are slower, some of the arremers wake up with a wider area, and you don't have unlimited continues. What annoys me the most is the NES itself with its 8 sprites per scanline, it's hella annoying in say the graveyard when there's 3 zombies and arthur and an item on the floor and shit is just flickering like crazy everywhere.