[Something]makaimura: Best versions and favorite weapon?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I was always told the x68k version isn't a port because they used the computers to make the game. Technically the jamma board is a port of the x68k version.

That would explain the differences, they were there from the beginning and "happened" during the porting process. Very interesting, I'll look for some information in the web. Anyway, there was a rumor that this Sharp version is interlaced. Rubbish. Perfect 240p.

On another note, there's this stunning remake of Makaimura, a fan project that I already played, yet, know nothing much else about, called "Ghosts'n'Demons" for the PC. This seems to be based on the WonderSwan version, hence the term remake, but maybe clone would be more appropriate. It adds an odd element to the formula, the classic Mario jump, tho it's a bit harder to pull off. I don't know the WS version, maybe it was already included there.

Well, it's free & definitely worth a try. Here's some footage. There's also a version that runs on a DC emulator.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Thank you for posting that! Hadn't heard of it.
I guess this is the official page?
It's free to download, very cool.

This seems to be based on the WonderSwan version, hence the term remake, but maybe clone would be more appropriate.
Seems to take hints from a lot of different versions and introduces new gameplay features/monsters as well - so I'd say "remake" is the better term... There are a lot of differences to the WonderSwan release at least - I can't pull off a double jump on WS and you can't destroy enemies by landing on them, WS is B/W, the intro is different, the enemies look nothing alike and are place in other spots, music is not the same, also the remake has no slow down ^^ The level design/layout is pretty similar though. Definitely worth checking out, great effort.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Jup, just started playing it yesterday evening (thx reso), so no verdict from me for now. Had some trouble finding a good viewing angle, kinda hard to see on a crystal.

You may want to consider buying an original WonderSwan for the B&W games. Its screen is comparable to the Game Boy Pocket, which is very usable and easy to see. I use a B&W WonderSwan for GunPey all the time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
-- Saturn is close second, but has longer loading times and strangely, some alterations: the second level boss behaves different (his arch jump/flat jump rhythm was changed) and ghouls in the first part of the 4th stage don't jump down on you from above, if you climb the ladder to the bottom level. I have yet to try harder difficulties tho, maybe these changes are because I play on "Normal" and the AC original is set to higher difficulty on default.

Yesterday I was able to play the SS Daimakaimura on the "Expert" difficulty and those changes described above remained the same. Too bad.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Well I recently did pick up the fight again after some extensive Super Ghouls and Ghosts sessions...

If those sessions should somehow make a comeback, then here are some impressions from my recent playthrough (about 100cc, hahaha...).

I tested three versions: Best one is the Super Famicom one, second Saturn, last PS1. Saturn version has a different pixel aspect ratio, one graphical shortcoming in the second part of the water level (less transparencies) and one graphical glich in the 4th stage (the zoom out/mode 7 bridge from first to second part is broken). PS1 handles those parts appropriate BUT the way it handles the slowdowns makes the game unplayable for me (speeds up/breaks the frame rate in the most disturbing way). Saturn's pacing is overall slower, thus slowdowns occur in a very "fluent" way, they're integrated well into the gameplay, so to speak.

In regards to the weapons, I'd first like to quote this...

Knife4life

...alas, with some restrictions this time. Choumakaimura offers the toughest Arremers from all three games and it takes ages to beat them flawlessly with the knife, if you don't own the Golden Armor. If you do, then just use its special when the Red Demon still sits there, touching the edge of the screen -- and it becomes a piece of cake. If you don't... try to get the Bow.

At first, you'll likely dump the idea of using this weapon: it's weak, has an odd angle, a faulty upgrade and a quasi useless special. All true, yet, these defects can be challenged with a bit of skill. The weakness is balanced by it's spreading qualities, the odd angle can be handled with constant kneeling (take advantage of the fact, that this time, you are allowed to turn Arthur while he's down on his knee), the upgrade, by triggering it more precise and learning how to dodge enemies (when you can't shoot your next round, because one arrow is still flying aimlessly around, which happens a lot). Finally, the special weapon gives you at least some seconds of invulnerability, which can come in handy, if used properly.

And the benefits? It's the weapon to fight Red Arremer & all bosses in the game. You basically dont have to jump up to strike their high hitboxes and can exclusively concentrate on dodging their attacks. It's not a beginner's weapon, but definitely worth a consideration.

Edit: And what about the Goddess' Bracelet? Well, unfortunately, it's the worst one of all games. The best version is found in Daimakaimura, because it offers great width and range, is very powerful and destroys enemy bullets (requires Golden Armor). The only major drawback is fighting Ohme. In Makaimura you have to live with the crosses' short range, but you can trigger it incredibly fast, while still remaining the other benefits (destroying enemy bullets doesn't require anything!).

Much of this is gone in Choumakaimura, where the Golden Armor just improves the range of your shot and destroys projectiles. My advice is: get it only in the last level after destroying the last Red Arremer. There are enough hidden Treasure Boxes in this stage, to grant you that necessary key to fight Samael.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
For me it's GnG>SGNG>Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Knife4lyfe fo' sho'.
Tried to do the ladder glitch on GnG's virtual console release for Wii U the other day (stay on the top of the ladder while key falls after beating the boss, collect the key and go down the ladder -> go on walkabout) and it never took me to the next level, just kept walking forever (occasionally looping to the beginning). Stupid emulators.
I've beaten the NES GnG on several occasions. The SNES game I've done the double play through innumerable times, but could never beat the last double boss fight with the bracelet before the big guy at the end (used cheat codes to access the final boss). Beat the Genesis GnG once and never really played it again.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ghosts 'n Goblins/Makaimura is one of my favorite games in general. I never really liked the NES version, even though it's fine. My favorite console GnG would be any of the emulated ports of the original.

I didn't like the art style of Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura and when it came out, assumed that it was a Genesis exclusive by Sega. The Genesis version is the most fun/least cheap version to play through.

When Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts came out, I considered it the killer app for the SNES. It had the kind of aesthetics that I wanted from a 16-bit GnG game. I never found it nearly as much fun as Ghosts 'n Goblins, but still consider it one of my favorite SNES games.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
My favorite is Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Other than the knife, I prefer the discus. I used to really like the super sword when I was a kid for some reason.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ghosts 'n Goblins/Makaimura is one of my favorite games in general. I never really liked the NES version, even though it's fine. My favorite console GnG would be any of the emulated ports of the original.

This is a true classic, hands down. I played now three ports: PS1 magenta first pressing, PS1 orange budget re-release & Saturn. Both PS1 ports are stretched and more difficult than Saturn. Even the 'Easy' setting is harder than 'Normal' on the SEGA version. There's also a difference between the first and the re-release, there were multiple revisions of the original arcade version, too. Maybe those PS1 differences have something to do with it?

Anyway, I do prefer the Saturn version by far. It has the original pixel aspect ratio and better controls. The latter concerns the triggering. It's known, that tapping the joystick/joypad cancels Arthur's throwing animation, which allows you to throw faster than normal. This works on all versions alike, i.e. it is unusable with a pad, because Arthur moves forward too much, ultimately colliding with an enemy.

The problem lies elsewhere, it's the tapping of the button. If you want to throw your weapon fast without using the forward motion, then you have to tap your button with a certain speed. To tap it on the PS1 is a real pain, the Saturn version is far more forgiving and here you can trigger your throws quite easy. The PS1 version gets stuck on the regular, it's almost unplayable.

BTW the hardest version offers the American arcade board. No ports exists as far a I know.

My favorite is Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Other than the knife, I prefer the discus. I used to really like the super sword when I was a kid for some reason.

Yeah, the discuss is very good, especially during the elevator section of the third level. Thrown up, you can use its width to the fullest. It can likely kill two enemies at once. The only downside is its loud sound, can't enjoy the great tunes this way.

Were you any good with the sword? I always wondered if Ohme (4th level boss) can be beaten with it anyhow? I wouldn't be surprised tho, if it turned out to be a deadly trap, like the cresset.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That would explain the differences, they were there from the beginning and "happened" during the porting process. Very interesting, I'll look for some information in the web. Anyway, there was a rumor that this Sharp version is interlaced. Rubbish. Perfect 240p.

On another note, there's this stunning remake of Makaimura, a fan project that I already played, yet, know nothing much else about, called "Ghosts'n'Demons" for the PC. This seems to be based on the WonderSwan version, hence the term remake, but maybe clone would be more appropriate. It adds an odd element to the formula, the classic Mario jump, tho it's a bit harder to pull off. I don't know the WS version, maybe it was already included there.

Well, it's free & definitely worth a try. Here's some footage. There's also a version that runs on a DC emulator.

Kinda neat, but there's too much shit going on. A simple level hack with a few new monsters would suffice.

Also, that bounce move kinda goes against everything that Ghosts has been about since the beginning... nothing is supposed to touch you (or vise versa), ever.

I do like that they used the original arcade sprites for Arthur though.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
My favorite will always be the arcade Ghouls N Ghosts. I have huge nostalgia for it as it was my favorite arcade game growing up. I've never been a fan of Ghosts and Goblins, it just never clicked with me, it's very basic and the music isn't as iconic, at least in my opinion.

Currently working on completing Super Ghouls N Ghosts without continuing on professional mode. That's another game I've always wanted to beat without continuing, so I'll be getting that done soon.

Thank the OP, it's a very cool thread, to begin with ;). Maybe Pasky could re-post his top 1cc here, too.

Sure.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks & kudos! I'm already anxious to see how you'll handle certain situs in Choumakaimura. As they say: we live and learn.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Kinda neat, but there's too much shit going on. A simple level hack with a few new monsters would suffice.

Also, that bounce move kinda goes against everything that Ghosts has been about since the beginning... nothing is supposed to touch you (or vise versa), ever.

I do like that they used the original arcade sprites for Arthur though.

IMO the presentation and overall feel of this remake is very well done, but I am not too keen on the new gameplay additions they made i.e. the backflip (pretty minor thing) and being able to kill the enemies by double jumping on them (a big change to the gameplay dynamics). I would much rather have the ability of shooting upwards / downwards instead.

This has somewhat been touched upon, but for those that had a chance to try that particular port, what are your views on the Supergrafx version?

Pasky

Thanks & kudos! I'm already anxious to see how you'll handle certain situs in Choumakaimura. As they say: we live and learn.

Here ya go, this was done on professional mode which is the hardest difficulty. It does a few things such as increase enemy spawns, increases the frequency at which enemies attack and raises the amount of money bags it takes to get a continue (obviously doesn't matter to a run with no continues). Enjoy!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
pretty cool - thx for posting.
I didn't know the "nice catch" part - as for the devils the tactic seems to be: "do not loose the golden armor", do you have a tactic for them when NOT having the dragon?

Pasky

pretty cool - thx for posting.
I didn't know the "nice catch" part - as for the devils the tactic seems to be: "do not loose the golden armor", do you have a tactic for them when NOT having the dragon?

Nice catch on the SNES version works by just holding up when you grab the key. I think it's an oversight and wasn't supposed to work that way, on the arcade version you need to grab the key standing in a certain position.

As far as fighting arremers without magic it isn't difficult. They have a set pattern, once you try to attack them they'll fly up and wait a bit and try to swoop at you, as they do jump back and attack them, and they'll stay in the air again and fire off some imps or a fireball, if you don't try to attack them after this, they'll land and do a dance on the ground until you try to attack them again, rinse and repeat. Its the exact same tactic in arcade Ghouls 'N Ghosts I used as they work exactly the same in Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

The difficult part is their swoop timing is a bit random, but if you keep them at the edge of the screen you can predict their trajectory.

Last edited:

Pasky

Here's a quick video I made to help you out. Just remember how they work, if you try to attack them while they're hovering in the air, they'll dodge up or down but if you're close enough you can still get the hit. The other key thing to know is, if you force them to dodge by almost hitting them, it resets the time it takes for them to swoop. This is pretty key so you can position yourself (I did it a couple of times, purposely making him dodge so I can run to the other side of the screen).

The other things I forgot to mention is if you see the arremer do a small swoop and stay high in the air, it means he's going to do another one immediately after it so be prepared. You can also reset his swoop timer by scrolling him off the screen, and he'll just follow you around. Just remember he'll always go to the ground to do his stupid dance if he shoots a fireball or the 3 imps if you don't attack him after, this is usually a free hit if you can point blank him and chase him back into the air.

It's much easier on this stage to lure them all back to the starting point because you have more area to deal with them and you get plenty of time for the stage. I did this with the lance, its much easier with the dagger. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Here ya go, this was done on professional mode which is the hardest difficulty. It does a few things such as increase enemy spawns, increases the frequency at which enemies attack and raises the amount of money bags it takes to get a continue (obviously doesn't matter to a run with no continues). Enjoy!

Very nice bro, I beat this game aswell a 1LC but just on normal setting. I like watching you play different techniques gives me a better way of doing things. It took me a while to finally get the perfect run. I don't know how many time I would get the that asshole Nebiroth on the second loop last stage and loose my armor. I was pretty much screwed as your range goes to nothing with the magic bracelet.

You know what its time for now buddy? The ever dreaded Ghosts n Goblins NES. You beat that abomination like you have done these and you get a gold star personally from me. :lolz:

Last edited:

Pasky

Very nice bro, I beat this game aswell a 1LC but just on normal setting. I like watching you play different techniques gives me a better way of doing things. It took me a while to finally get the perfect run. I don't know how many time I would get the that asshole Nebiroth on the second loop last stage and loose my armor. I was pretty much screwed as your range goes to nothing with the magic bracelet.

You know what its time for now buddy? The ever dreaded Ghosts n Goblins NES. You beat that abomination like you have done these and you get a gold star personally from me. :lolz:

It's a shame I hate that fucking game :lolz:, but you're right, I've been on a Makaimura binge lately so might as well get the ghosts and the ultimate version out of the way.

Last edited: