[Something]makaimura: Best versions and favorite weapon?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Celebrating the awesomeness of Tw3ek and neodogg I dug out Chomakaimura and threw it into the SNES to play some rounds of what I consider my favorite jump and run game series of all time.

I love all iterations of this game I played so far, though what I have to admit really ticks on my nerves is the massive slowdown on the first Level of the SNES Version.

Packed into this thread are a couple of questions:
*) Which is your favorite home console version of these games (why?)
*) Is there any version where you have any favorite weapon apart from the knife? (excluding mandatory stuff like the shield)

For me:
Ghosts and Goblins: Saturn Version, allthough my playthrough Comes to a brutal halt in the dungeon (think Level 5 or 6) where the Background starts to flicker when you move, which gives me seizures - wish there was another better Version
Ghouls and Ghosts: Saturn Version
Super Ghouls and Ghosts: didn't compare the versions enough yet - only played on the SNES so far

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I like the NES version.

I can't get very far in any of them tho.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Packed into this thread are a couple of questions:
*) Which is your favorite home console version of these games (why?)
*) Is there any version where you have any favorite weapon apart from the knife? (excluding mandatory stuff like the shield)

Arcade + knife :lolz:

Fine, Capcom Classics collection 2 for PSX for that great ps3 upscaling :p

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
The ps1 or saturn generation ports are really good for home ports.
The ghouls arcade with JP roms is like putting a childs reebok pump on your dick helmet and pumping it up til your balls explode.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I suck at them all, but at the same time love them all.

I think the SAT versions are great especially scart out.

I have a soft spot for the SGX version.

I find the knife the best weapon of choice. The double jump drives me nuts at times on SGnG.

Have you tried the GBA version of SGnG, might help with seisures? Also has a save feature.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Have you tried the GBA version of SGnG, might help with seisures? Also has a save feature.

Is that also a Collection Version as I mainly have that Problem with Ghosts n' Goblins (actually not seizures of course but gives me a headache and I'm not very keen on that either ;))

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Arcade + knife :lolz:

Knife4life

The SNES version is my favorite. I got it for Christmas the year it came out and those graphics were mind blowing, especially the mode 7 levels. Also fuck that game on the second loop with that dumb ass bracelet weapon.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
My go-to versions of the games are the NES, Genesis, and SNES versions, respectively. I know that for the first two, they aren't the "best" versions, but they're my favorite. As for the weapon? Knyfe4Lyfe. Although that weapon you pick up on the second playthrough of Ghouls is fucking awesome.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Arcade Ghoulies and the Goddess Bracelet. Weapon murders. Straight murders.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Close call between the snes and MD versions, but i'd have to go with snes, i love the double jump in it to be honest and the knife is the best weapon by a country mile (especially when you snag the gold armour). I would actually rather take a hit at certin times in the game rather than jump and land on any other weapon.
Very tough game on the second loop as well, i have completed it in the past (like, 20 years ago) but i ain't played it at all in 4-5 years so i dread to think how bad i'd be at it now.
Barring the arcade version, i've never played any of the others you all mention so no comment on those.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Ghosts n Goblins Arcade for C64 is tops for me, followed by Ghouls and Ghosts for SGX.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
why the fuck are people saying SNES version, it's a totally different game from ghouls

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Did reach Level 4 in SGNG yesterday (actually 5) - what the hell were they thinking? The mode 7 is ok in the "running around the Towers" area, it's a fun Addition when the Level turns at the start of 4, but there's absolutely no Point in that "shaking raft" part that does nothing but shake the screen - goddamn awful. (still a great game so far, but was that really necessary?)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
-- Best port of Daimakaimura is arguably the X68000 one. I recently had a chance to try it out on the Compact using the Pioneer V402. Even the bugs in the first level were fixed here!

-- Saturn is close second, but has longer loading times and strangely, some alterations: the second level boss behaves different (his arch jump/flat jump rhythm was changed) and ghouls in the first part of the 4th stage don't jump down on you from above, if you climb the ladder to the bottom level. I have yet to try harder difficulties tho, maybe these changes are because I play on "Normal" and the AC original is set to higher difficulty on default.

-- PS1 port is garbage, because it blackens all the gorgeous backgrounds. To hell with it!

-- Every other port just doesn't capture the original, not even close. Too many compromises made them age poorly. Due to nostalgia, of course, they sure can hold a certain charm, no doubt about it.

-- Makaimura is also better on the Saturn, than PS1, because it retains the original aspect ratio of the arcade original, which is roughly 3:4. The PS doesn't. Haven't played other ports yet.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Anyone play the WonderSwan version?
Jup, just started playing it yesterday evening (thx reso), so no verdict from me for now. Had some trouble finding a good viewing angle, kinda hard to see on a crystal.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Is that also a Collection Version as I mainly have that Problem with Ghosts n' Goblins (actually not seizures of course but gives me a headache and I'm not very keen on that either ;))

The Game Boy Advance version, released simply as Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts in North America and Europe and as Chōmakaimura R in Japan, features an "Arrange Mode" that enables the player to choose from redesigned levels and bosses based on the original Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts, depending on their success in keeping the bronze armor, or a higher difficulty tier of the standard levels set upon keeping the golden armor. Unlike the Normal Mode, in Arrange the Goddess' Bracelet is already accessible during the first playthrough. Unlike the Capcom Generations/Classics Collection ports, the Game Boy Advance port retains the slowdown of the original Super NES version, even in the redesigned levels.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
"retains the slowdown" - what a Feature, thx for the insights though Neodogg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
although i like the genesis port, the snes version is the one i enjoyed the most. all the extra added content make the game a little more fun to play. as for weapons, i used spear and dagger the most. the bow was good but if i remember correctly, the sword with the homing attacks was completely useless.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
why the fuck are people saying SNES version, it's a totally different game from ghouls

I think a lot of people haven't actually played the game, and are parroting what they hear others say about SGnG being "kind of a port" of GnG (like Dracula X on the SNES), which it of course isn't. I don't mean people on here, but just people in general. I hear people say stuff like that on Podcasts and YT.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I like all 3 games, they are good in their own ways, but I was always irked that they didn't allow you to fire upwards in Super Ghouls. A step backward imo. The goddess bracelet fires too slow as well.

I'd say my favorite is arcade Ghosts, closely followed by arcade Ghouls. NES Ghosts gets a special mention for making my heart race with it's insane difficulty. I've only beaten it once.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
NES Ghosts gets a special mention for making my heart race with it's insane difficulty. I've only beaten it once.

That game's pretty rough right from the get-go too. Red Arremer like what? Under a min in?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That game's pretty rough right from the get-go too. Red Arremer like what? Under a min in?

It's there in the arcade version too, but it's much easier to deal with. They are faster and less predictable in the NES version.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
-- Best port of Daimakaimura is arguably the X68000 one. I recently had a chance to try it out on the Compact using the Pioneer V402. Even the bugs in the first level were fixed here!

-- Saturn is close second, but has longer loading times and strangely, some alterations: the second level boss behaves different (his arch jump/flat jump rhythm was changed) and ghouls in the first part of the 4th stage don't jump down on you from above, if you climb the ladder to the bottom level. I have yet to try harder difficulties tho, maybe these changes are because I play on "Normal" and the AC original is set to higher difficulty on default.

-- PS1 port is garbage, because it blackens all the gorgeous backgrounds. To hell with it!

-- Every other port just doesn't capture the original, not even close. Too many compromises made them age poorly. Due to nostalgia, of course, they sure can hold a certain charm, no doubt about it.

-- Makaimura is also better on the Saturn, than PS1, because it retains the original aspect ratio of the arcade original, which is roughly 3:4. The PS doesn't. Haven't played other ports yet.

I was always told the x68k version isn't a port because they used the computers to make the game. Technically the jamma board is a port of the x68k version.