Wonder Boy 3: Dragon's Trap remake

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Yeah the re-made SMS grid box is tits.

Game is solid, not a fan of the door entry mechanic though it feels kinda clunky. Was the original like that? I have a copy but havent played it in years.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Game is solid, not a fan of the door entry mechanic though it feels kinda clunky. Was the original like that? I have a copy but havent played it in years.

Yep, everything is the same gameplay-wise including the door entry stuff.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Going in the doors feels great on Wonderboy games. Such a satisfying sound. I also like entering the ship stage swimming up to the top of the screen as piranha man

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Disappointed that I wasn't fast enough on the web to get one :(

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's why I'm not a huge fan of Limited Run Games. They cater to collectards.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
That's why I'm not a huge fan of Limited Run Games. They cater to collectards.

A limited version of an already limited game. What did they mean by this.

But lets be honest here, 90% of what limited run games print are mediocre at best. Limiting the number of copies produced instead of having an actual pre-order system really shows that their business strategy relies on collectards. I would wager a lot of people buy them just to resell.

But yeah I managed to snag one this morning. I almost thought I wasn't going to get one as when it hit 10 A.M. EST the site didn't update to add to cart, and when it did It lagged saying "please wait don't exit unless you want to lose your place".

The first wave definitely sold out in like a minute maybe two tops if you count lag from the heavy traffic.The only limited run games im keeping an eye out for is Night Trap Special Edition, Rabi-Ribi, and maybe Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Limiting the number of copies produced instead of having an actual pre-order system really shows that their business strategy relies on collectards.

But yeah I managed to snag one this morning.

The first wave definitely sold out in like a minute maybe two tops if you count lag from the heavy traffic.

Lulz.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
But lets be honest here, 90% of what limited run games print are mediocre at best. Limiting the number of copies produced instead of having an actual pre-order system really shows that their business strategy relies on collectards. I would wager a lot of people buy them just to resell.

It's even more absurd because these games are just optical discs. They cost essentially nothing to produce and have nearly no lead time. They could trivially just run another batch when they ran out, without any meaningful expense.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Reading the MRS forum they pulled a good portion of the stock immediately to bundle it with Lawbreakers so people would be forced to buy that too to get Wonder Boy. I wasn't able to get the standard edition either time despite having off today and being able to log in immediately, fuck LRG.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It's even more absurd because these games are just optical discs. They cost essentially nothing to produce and have nearly no lead time. They could trivially just run another batch when they ran out, without any meaningful expense.

I wonder if they're contractually set at a specific amount a la Twilight Time Movies with Sony/Columbia Studios, who are limited to 3,000 pressings of bluray title, and have to renegotiate for more like they did for Christine which eventually even got released by Sony themselves. Things like the new Sonic Mania "Special Edition" without the physical game is really absurd IMO.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I wasn't expecting it to sell so quickly.I was able to get a order in for the regular edition since that's all i wanted,no need for the CE one.Yes i know pa was selling the game as well.

Limited Run Games is certainly living up to its name.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah I'd just go with that if you missed the LRG one. The Korean release is also fully in English too, I think. Such a garbage move by Limited Run to strong arm people into buying Wonder Boy with that online-only trash game Lawbreakers or whatever it's called.

uh. it's not a bundle. they just typically release two separate games at at time.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
uh. it's not a bundle. they just typically release two separate games at at time.

Standalone Wonder Boy's sold out immediately. They then pulled stock from it and bundled it w/ Lawbreakers because no one was buying that. So if people wanted Wonder Boy they had to buy the bundle.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Limited Run Games is certainly living up to its name.

Yeah typical LRG giving the game a small run and hyping it's release to sell.I all most downloaded,wonderboy months ago but when i heard it was getting a physical release i decided to hold out.By you're review it looks like i'm in for a treat on this remake.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah typical LRG giving the game a small run and hyping it's release to sell.I all most downloaded,wonderboy months ago but when i heard it was getting a physical release i decided to hold out.By you're review it looks like i'm in for a treat on this remake.

I downloaded it the day it was released on the Switch and loved it. Blaster Master Zero is also an excellent game remake to give a try, if you haven't already.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I tried to get a copy but when I checked out it said the item in my cart was no longer available or whatever. I'll just get the Asia version. I am also not a fan of their business model. As people have said, they should just take preorders, then maybe say how many copies were printed (keep the collectards happy).

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh man I kind of got out of the whole LE (just take up too much space) but that Wonder Boy was rad I would have loved to have gotten that oh well.

It wasn't really even on my radar though because I think this on Switch too right, and I'd rather get it for that once I actually get a Switch.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I downloaded it the day it was released on the Switch and loved it. Blaster Master Zero is also an excellent game remake to give a try, if you haven't already.
Don't have a switch still maybe later in the year for one.