Wonder Boy 3: Dragon's Trap remake

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i'm hoping that this game is a remake like bionic commando rearmed with a lot of new content added and better controls, and not just a graphical overhaul. and there was a sonic cd remake?. need to look in to that.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,

This is a different project from the other Monster Boy project.

As a fan of the original Dragon's Trap, I'm excited about both and I hope they live up to it.

Edit: Let's not forget about Shantae Half Genie Hero too.

It definitely looks nice. :)

it won't be as good as the original and won't elicit the same feelings you had as a child when you played it.

Certainly not. I put a decent chunk of time into WBIII on SMS and while this remake looks really good graphically, it does seem a tad hollow.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Looks really good to me. I grew up with this game and loved it so nostalgia factor is at a 10 already. Will I prefer the original probably, but this deff. looks worth a play.

I never beat this, actually still haven't beat it to this day. I always get stuck at the same point. Is it really easy and I am just slow?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Looks really good to me. I grew up with this game and loved it so nostalgia factor is at a 10 already. Will I prefer the original probably, but this deff. looks worth a play.

I never beat this, actually still haven't beat it to this day. I always get stuck at the same point. Is it really easy and I am just slow?

What point do you get stuck at? There are a few areas I remember being a little tough, like the pyramid level... but you can easily grind up and get some good gear before your journey up there.

I don't really ever remember having serious trouble with the game, and I definitely beat it a few times as a kid.

<3 it a lot... Very few games I went back and beat over and over again... Psycho Fox being another one. Now, if that got a remake, I'd probably pass... Probably... but I'm so down for this.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
YES

I liked this feature in R-Type Dimensions, and think it should be something every retro HD remake should have.
I'm so ready for this game.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Been looking forward to this remake since it was announced. It's only getting a digital release, right?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
When is the genesis version coming?
/troll

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The game is out. The remastered graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is spot on.

Edit: out on PS4 and Switch. Steam says June in our region.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Bought it today and I'm almost done with it. I'm very happy with it and will most likely do another run in SMS mode. The music I haven't tried yet, just the old tunes. I also never cared for the FM sound. PSG all the way for me.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Wow, that put a smile on my face. I'm not a WonderBoy fan, either.

I don't know much about animation studios, but there's a French-Japanese connection with Mysterious Cities of Gold as well. I wonder if France has an established animation network to make these partnerships, or if it's just coincidence.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Wow, that put a smile on my face. I'm not a WonderBoy fan, either.

I don't know much about animation studios, but there's a French-Japanese connection with Mysterious Cities of Gold as well. I wonder if France has an established animation network to make these partnerships, or if it's just coincidence.

France and Japan are tight when it comes to anime, animation in general, and manga. I was reading Dragon Ball in French many years before it was localized to English. As far as animation goes there a certain style and fluidity to most French animation that likens it to a Ghibli production.

OT, I just bought the game for Switch...been chomping at the bit since I saw the release date a couple weeks back and can't wait to load it up on the commute tomorrow.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
France has one of the best animation universities in the world -- Gobelins. Its up there with Sheridan and Cal Arts for outputting mega animator talent. I'm seeing a lot of French animation influences here and am loving it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
And the game is done. I missed two of the weapons but the memories got me through the whole game. Tomorrow I'll do a full 8-but run on it with the new music. Maybe it will grow on me. Mos def worth the 20 I spent. Game looks incredible.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Bought this yesterday and had a good 2-3 hours of play. It really does look beautiful. I thought I'd find myself playing a lot in the 8 bit mode, but I haven't wanted to at all. It's a great feature to be able to click a button and see the 8 bit mode. It really does show how much work has gone into the new graphics.

I'm currently a bit stuck in the 'underground'(?) level. Maybe I have missed a bit and need to upgrade first, or maybe I am just $h1t, but the enemies down there just take so much life.

Edit: Quickly glancing at a guide, it seems the underground is the last stage, so I think I am taking it on a bit prematurely. I guess I'll try to find another area.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't know if I like the art direction in this, but money's tight right now and I've got a backlog as it is, so I might hold out for awhile to DL this.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Not sure if anyone else is interested in this but I figured I'd share, Play-Asia is (pre)selling a physical version of this for the PS4 now:

PS4, $26 + shipping, and it looks like it'll release July of this year:
http://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-multi-language/13/70b4g3?tagid=2797019

I wish they'd had physical versions available at the same time as digital. I'd like a copy on the Switch, but I am almost finished now and I'm not paying another £20.

I just unlocked the bird last night, so I think I am nearing the end. I was having a bit of trouble with the level with the ninja and samurai, until I realised I just needed a boomerang.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
its also on xbox one looks to be 20 bucks its on my list of things to get down the road when money is available to do so sounds and looks amazing from what I have seen and good to hear your comments guys

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Yea, keep the reviews and comments coming. I'll be picking up the physical version from PA and can't wait to check it out. I'm really a sucker for updated remakes (ie DuckTales Remastered) like this.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yea, keep the reviews and comments coming. I'll be picking up the physical version from PA and can't wait to check it out. I'm really a sucker for updated remakes (ie DuckTales Remastered) like this.

I wish DuckTales Remastered had been done Wonder Boy style with just graphics and audio updates. I usually like WayForward's games but the updates they did to the level designs and bosses hurt that game rather than helped it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.