Waku Waku 7 MVS

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Did they use different mask ROMs for different runs of this game? The mask roms look like the ones in a legit drift out cart (obviously different numbers). I can't find a pic of an AES board set, but the MVS ones have Tosbiba ROMs.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Really confusing...

[EDIT]
HMG, you're wrong, NGH 225 does correspond to WW7 (TSS is NGH 224):
http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/master_list-ngh.htm

So legit mask ROMs, legit NEO-ZMC and NEO-PCM.
It's probably a conversion from AES to MVS. It made sense back in 97 (see the date on the boards).
[/EDIT]

Fuck, got TSS on the brain too much.

mainman, yeah it's possible those are OTP EPROMs with new printing on them... But after realizing it's WW7 and not TSS, I think the presence of SNK customs on those boards lends credibility to the real possibility the ROMs are real.

Did they use different mask ROMs for different runs of this game? The mask roms look like the ones in a legit drift out cart (obviously different numbers). I can't find a pic of an AES board set, but the MVS ones have Tosbiba ROMs.

Yes and no, depends on the game.

Last edited:

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
How ironical; I just got this bad boy in a box of games a few days ago:

Was planning on posting it here too.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
No doubt, this is one of the most interesting boots I have ever seen, but so far, I would have to give the award for "most realistic" to a very unique Metal Slug 2 cart that I have. In all my years, I've never seen anything like it. I can post pics here, but Xian Xi should really post them up on his site. Yes, it's that amazing :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In all my years, I've never seen anything like it. I can post pics here, but Xian Xi should really post them up on his site. Yes, it's that amazing :)
so, will we ever hear more about this?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'd be surprised if these were all the same current day seller, though they were likely made by the same person/people originally. It seems like a much older boot as no surface mount components are used other than the SNK chips.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
Neato label:

Back of board one:

Back of board two:

Another oddity: other bootlegs I have (KoF 2001, Metal Slug 4) have issues playing in my board with the original BIOS. KoF will not even load. This Waku Waku 7 plays just fine. It really is well done.

xsq

looks like a legit korean label... small chance but - maybe this is just how the korean releases (of WW7) were made?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
looks like a legit korean label... small chance but - maybe this is just how the korean releases (of WW7) were made?

If that's a possibility, you might probably find some common elements to these boards and other Korean MVS boards. A quick check on MVS scans doesn't appear to support that, but for me what's really shutting down this possibility is that these Waku Waku 7 boards don't even say SNK anywhere... Is that legitimate; an officially manufactured board without any kind of company marking?

xsq

yeah, it's unlikely. However there are now two "boots" of this kind reported, both have mask roms and the eproms might be the ones needed for the localization... maybe SNK had these games manufactured mainly in Korea itself and shipped only the mask roms there? It does say "Made in Korea" on the label - other localized releases do so too (there are exeptions e.g. "Fighter's Swords" [SamSho III], which had "Made in Japan" on the label), but it might have been a 1996 thing... or the only release they went this route with... SNK is known for their inconsistencies, so I wouldn't put it past them...

Maybe we can get more people with Korean Waku Waku 7 copies to chime in?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The only set of boards on mvs scans show the Toshiba chips, not the blank chips w/just the NGH number so it wouldn't seem that SNK shipped the ROMs to Korea, though of course it's possible there was a run with ROMs like those. Not enough data to say at this point I suppose as our sample set for the legit scans is 1 and the possible Korean version is 2.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I wouldn't discount these unmarked MVS carts with NGH Mask ROMs and SNK custom chips just yet. SNK was never particularly consistent you know. I say put these games on uncomfirmed until we can dig up more information on SNK's publishing activities.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I want to see the roms on a homecart but I'm sure nobody wants to open one.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I want to see the roms on a homecart but I'm sure nobody wants to open one.

That would require someone to take it out of the acrylic case, then slide it out of the air sealed baggie, then, undo the Neo Geo sticker sealed snapcase and then finally open the cart. Way too much time, it's easier just to say you spent a bunch of money on it and never play it.