Hello guys,

Is this MS3 original?

ms31.jpegms32.jpeg

I haven't seen the second PCB before

Thanks!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Looks like a usual Metal Slug 3 2nd print from 2001. However, Sengoku 3 also released in 2001 shares the same boards and we all know Sengoku 3 was poached to death. Flip those boards over and take pictures of the soldering.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
yeah, looks legit to me. What has you worried?

sir arthur

War Room Troll
I hadn't seen that PCB before... Didn't know that MS3 had 2 different layouts

And I am from Spain. Too much shit going on with AES games nowadays

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
and costs a shitload of money nowadays. which would make OPs game still worth a lot if it turned out to be Sengoku 3? hahaha

I meant his Metal Slug 3 could be a conversion. Metal Slug 3 exists in two versions, one with P ROM encryption, the other without. The encryption is meant to copy protect the data on the chips, to impede pirating. You could easily get a Sengoku 3 AES and Metal Slug 3 MVS 2nd print, swap the ROMs and you'd have yourself a Metal Slug 3 AES 2nd print, with hand soldered Mask ROMs. That's why he needs to flip the boards over and take more pics.

I hadn't seen that PCB before... Didn't know that MS3 had 2 different layouts

And I am from Spain. Too much shit going on with AES games nowadays

Then you must not have been into the Neo Geo hobby for very long. Check out MVS scans, set 3 is the same thing as the boards shown in this thread.

http://mvs-scans.com/index.php/Metal_Slug_3

It's a later print because for one, the PROG board used (PROGBK1) has no copy protection added, which is normal because SNK also re-released other games (KOF 99, KOF 2000) with less copy protection after their original versions. That and the PROGBK1 board is updated with a 2001 copyright date, MS3 was released 2000.

(I used to own a Metal Slug 3 w/holo label with a 1994 PROGBK1 btw, SNK wasn't always consistent)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Looks legit, but as HMG said, you will need to see if the roms are wave or hand soldered to come closer to a definite answer.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
Cool, thanks a bunch guys!

I have asked for the pics but the seller refuse to open again the cartridge...

Shame!

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I thought you owned this.

Well, does the (JPN) cartridge lack the warning sticker on the front? Is it the US NeoStore version? Those are supposed to have the boards pictured above, because they were 2nd print versions made in 2001. The original JPN AES 1st print from 2000 should have a warning sticker.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
I thought you owned this.

Well, does the (JPN) cartridge lack the warning sticker on the front? Is it the US NeoStore version? Those are supposed to have the boards pictured above, because they were 2nd print versions made in 2001. The original JPN AES 1st print from 2000 should have a warning sticker.

No warning screen but w/o another pics, I do not want to take the risk, tho...

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Why dont you show the backsite of the PCB where the Pins can be seen? Thats all what you have to look for, if its soldered by hand or in the factory.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Why dont you show the backsite of the PCB where the Pins can be seen? Thats all what you have to look for, if its soldered by hand or in the factory.
there are machine soldered boots, you fucking moron.