I need a good horror movie or two or three or four

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Some great suggestions. I would add a bunch of classic Japanese ghost films. Onibaba and The Ghost Story of Yostuya.
Aesthetically, climatically it's just amazing. Not silly ghost scares for the sake of it. Very sinister

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I enjoyed The Other Side of the Door. Competently shot and acted. It stars Rick Grimes' wife from Walking Dead.

Different kind of horror but Backcountry is pretty harrowing and disturbing. About a couple that gets lost on a hiking trip in the middle of nowhere and gets stalked by a bear. Really enjoyed that one.

Most Likely to Die was ok. A decent Scream knockoff.

RRR

New Challenger
The Strangers
Dead Girl (2008 directed by Marcel Sarmiento)
Orphan

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No particular order:

Men Behind The Sun
The Burning Moon
Suspiria
Maniac (enjoyed the remake just as much as the original)
The House Behind The Cemetary
Cannibal Holocaust (original)

If you're looking for ACTUAL footage type stuff, try the "Traces of Death" series by Dead Alive/Brain Damage Productions. They lift some footage from "Faces of Death" which is more or less staged, but its mostly actual footage.

"The Killing Of America" is a great early 80s doc that profiles a lot of ACTUAL serial killers.

Good suggestions.

Olaf Ittenbach is shit though, let's be honest. I much prefer Premutos over The Burning Moon. If you're into German gore-fests, check out Das Komabrutale Duell.

I can't handle actual death films anymore, though I've seen them all.

Let's turn it up a notch;

August Underground's Mordum
Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Mermaid in a Manhole
Hanger
Inside
Martyrs
Haute Tension
Nekromantik
Murder Set Pieces
Evil Dead Trap (great Japanese Argento-esque fantasy slasher)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Midnight Meat Train definitely has that unexplained evil in it.

xorthen

Banned
Good suggestions.

Olaf Ittenbach is shit though, let's be honest. I much prefer Premutos over The Burning Moon. If you're into German gore-fests, check out Das Komabrutale Duell.

I can't handle actual death films anymore, though I've seen them all.

Let's turn it up a notch;

August Underground's Mordum
Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Mermaid in a Manhole
Hanger
Inside
Martyrs
Haute Tension
Nekromantik
Murder Set Pieces
Evil Dead Trap (great Japanese Argento-esque fantasy slasher)

So much garbage. He said GOOD horror movies. Not shit. The only one that's even good in that list is Martyrs.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
The Thing (1982 original, not the 2011 dumpster fire)

just so long as we're all aware that Carpenter's 1982 The Thing was itself a remake of "The Thing From Another World" that Carpenter was such a big fan of he even included footage of it in the original Halloween

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So much garbage. He said GOOD horror movies. Not shit. The only one that's even good in that list is Martyrs.

Sure, movies are subjective. And what some consider to be good others think are garbage. I'm in the realm of the "so bad they're good" with a lot of those mentions. I don't think any of them are masterpieces.

Why don't you do us all a favour and list all these great horror films that haven't been mentioned yet. I bet you really know your stuff.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
just so long as we're all aware that Carpenter's 1982 The Thing was itself a remake of "The Thing From Another World" that Carpenter was such a big fan of he even included footage of it in the original Halloween

1982 original remake is what he meant.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Good suggestions seen a lot of the old stuff suggested (The thing, hellraiser etc...) love them. Gonna give It Follows and Occulus a try tonight and will continue down the list of suggestions. Got enough here to keep me busy all of June, thanks.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
For newer ones check out "In Fear" (2013) - low budget, not super scary but it's still a good watch.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Got around to watching Occulus and It Follows.

Occulus was great up until the end.

Spoiler:

I don't really care that it ended on a bad note, but it never explained why the fuck the mirror does what it does or what is in it, was it the female or was she just an old victim like the other entities? I really don't like when movies give no explanation and leave it to the viewer to interpret it, it's such a cop out for laziness.

It follows was also decent, again same problem with the ending as Occulus imo.

Gonna check out the suggestions and try another one tonight.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
might not be your cup of tea, but my recommendations would be amityville 2: the possession, one of my all time favourites. the best amityville movie. conjuring, if you haven't seen it. and the woman in black <old or new. these movies are a little slow to start off with, but if your in to haunted house movies, these are the best imo.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
The Abominable Dr. Phibes and its sequel, Doctor Phibes Rises Again, two Vincent Price vehicles that are completely bizarre and better than they have any right to be

xorthen

Banned
Sure, movies are subjective. And what some consider to be good others think are garbage. I'm in the realm of the "so bad they're good" with a lot of those mentions. I don't think any of them are masterpieces.

Why don't you do us all a favour and list all these great horror films that haven't been mentioned yet. I bet you really know your stuff.
I tried watching Evil Dead Trap years ago and was put to sleep it was so boring. It had catchy music and that's about all I remember other than some lady running around some warehouse or something. I have already seen most of my top favorite picks in here already and I really can't think of what else to add right now.

I guess check out Mirrors with Kiefer Sutherland. It's an older one that seemed to go somewhat unnoticed but if you watch it alone with volume turned up in the dark you'll definitely shit bricks. Lots of jump scares and unexpected gore.

There's also this Category III horror movie called Untold Story which is pretty fucked up but definitely watchable.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I tried watching Evil Dead Trap years ago and was put to sleep it was so boring. It had catchy music and that's about all I remember other than some lady running around some warehouse or something. I have already seen most of my top favorite picks in here already and I really can't think of what else to add right now.

There's also this Category III horror movie called Untold Story which is pretty fucked up but definitely watchable.

You should try Evil Dead Trap again. When I first saw it, I couldn't get into it. It's very long. But in a revisit I really enjoyed it.

Some HK Cat III stuff is great, some is just shit. Untold Story is definitely one if the best, but the bumbling cop routines are pathetically laughable. Anthony Wong is awesome and just hams it up. I much prefer him in Ebola Syndrome.

xorthen

Banned
You should try Evil Dead Trap again. When I first saw it, I couldn't get into it. It's very long. But in a revisit I really enjoyed it.

Some HK Cat III stuff is great, some is just shit. Untold Story is definitely one if the best, but the bumbling cop routines are pathetically laughable. Anthony Wong is awesome and just hams it up. I much prefer him in Ebola Syndrome.

Anthony Wong is the perfect psychopath. I can't imagine a better actor for his role in that film. He nailed it so convincingly. I was pretty disturbed when he jammed the chop sticks up that woman's snatch. There was another cat III flick I watched a few years ago that had some crazed horny young dude kill his grandpa to steal his aphrodisiac recipe, and he goes around banging all these hot chicks. Pretty good to watch, but not really horror I don't think. I watched this other horror movie short called Dumplings about this lady who takes fetuses and feeds them to customers to make them look younger. I was on an asian horror movie kick a few years ago and had some fun with it. I think a lot of the movies I watched were more gross/disturbing rather than horror. Also, the movie grotesque, some japanese gore flick I saw a long time ago that has some really unsettling scenes. Mostly shitty and boring though.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
xorthen, you do know what you're talking about (at least with extreme / exploitation flicks).

Have you seen the All Night Long trilogy? Atrocity is a dirty, evil piece of work.

The deep, underground bowels of Japanese and Hong Kong cinema needs to be seen to be believed. It's a cross between comical genius and evil depravity.

Looks like you have a little edgelord yourself, Xorth