Sega boardmaster no sound

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Hey guys! I need your help again. I plugged in my cps3 and cps2 setup and the both times the sound stopped working. For the cps3 the drive doesn't turn on and the cps2 it turns on but with no sound and the fan doesn't spin. I just hear a high pitched noise like the fan is trying to start. I can only test this on my supergun as my cabs are in storage. Any help id greatly appreciate. Thanks again NG!

Also maybe worth noting I had the supergun video and audio hooked up on one of those AV switchers. Maybe that messed it up??

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Check your 12V line. If the fans are 12V and audio is out, your PSU's 12V rail could have fried, or be severed somewhere in the wiring. edit: the CPS3 drive lends more credence to that, generally 5V powers a drive's logic but motors operate off of 12V

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Check your 12V line. If the fans are 12V and audio is out, your PSU's 12V rail could have fried, or be severed somewhere in the wiring. edit: the CPS3 drive lends more credence to that, generally 5V powers a drive's logic but motors operate off of 12V

Okay okay so what I do is put a multimeter to the 12v line and it should show what? I'm terrible at this. I have a brand new multimeter so I can finally open it.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Red probe to 12V, black probe to GND. Should show ROUGHLY 12v. If it's not bang on that's not a big deal.
You need to set your multimeter to DC Voltage, and to the next step up from the voltage you're trying to measure. So if you have DC2V and DC20V you want to select DC20V. Or if yours auto-ranges then ignore that step.

Last edited:

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Red probe to 12V, black probe to GND. Should show ROUGHLY 12v. If it's not bang on that's not a big deal.
You need to set your multimeter to DC Voltage, and to the next step up from the voltage you're trying to measure. So if you have DC2V and DC20V you want to select DC20V. Or if yours auto-ranges then ignore that step.

Awesome! So it's the 12v like you said! Damn you're good! So I took out the little fuse the little metal line is cut. Says "1A" on the metal rim. where do I go to get a new one?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Admittedly I haven't had to mess with fuses a lot, but I've been able to take fuses into auto parts stores and Radio Shack and get replacements back when I was a lot worse at finding parts on my own.

The fuse could have blown due to a freak accident that it prevented, or it could be because of something inherently wrong that causes it to blow repeatedly. For sure get a few of them in case you have to replace it again, fuses are cheap and they're commonly sold in packs of 4-5 or so in my experience. Hopefully it's a freak circumstance, but even if not, it's generally not too hard to trace arcade power issues if you end up needing to.

I guess you might want to take a measurement before the fuse to verify the power supply is putting out 12V in the first place.

Last edited:

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Now I just gotta figure out if it's a fast acting or slow blow fuse.

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Alright so I replaced the fuse and it worked perfectly! For anyone in the future who runs into this problem (sega boardmaster having no sound and the fans on the cps2 motherboard don't spin) it's the 12v fuse. You can get a fast acting fuse or a slow fuse and it'll work. Just make sure you get the right amp. Thanks for the help DanAdamKOF! Without your help I would've probably never fixed this.