Ghostlop 20th anniversary AES

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
The statement is false, as it is an attempt to legitimate your conception, while your work doesn't show that kind of approach. It's your own way of expression, not inspired by SNK's art design. As I said, not a bad thing per se, but there's no need to make up stories.

Thinking at how snk might have done is a mandatory prerequisite to finding any kind (hence your own) approach.

This project has been a pleasure to buildup, and has brought me only joy til now.
Cat fighting however is not in my temper.

Thanx for reading me, lads.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
So I'm confused are you trying to contribute to the community or make a buck? I'll admit sometimes it can be both. When you first posted it seemed like look at the cool shit I made to go along with my ghostlop cart. But now it seems like look at the shit I pieced together to sell you.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
So I'm confused are you trying to contribute to the community or make a buck? I'll admit sometimes it can be both. When you first posted it seemed like look at the cool shit I made to go along with my ghostlop cart. But now it seems like look at the shit I pieced together to sell you.

He's just here to sell.

xyF4WO3.jpg

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I like being called 'americans', it's like an old WWII movie.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Cat fighting however is not in my temper.

You show your work openly to receive feedback on your product & its presentation. Calling it "cat fighting" is another sign of your arrogance. There are about 20 thousand other graphistes, that are better, faster and lesser expensive than you. The only thing you have to differ from them is your own character, which is reflected in your conceptions, development & approach. As of now, you're giving us the least interesting part, the final product, which, as already said, 20k can deliver in an astonishingly more efficient way. And the only thing you have to say about your outcome is: I did it, because I can.

Obviously your work is not without certain qualities, but the way how you present it and how much thought went into it, is absolutely disappointing. You just peddling with your hobby project from one forum to another and have nothing else to share but amateurish small talk. No thought process, no interesting conception elucidations, no insights into your approach. And give me a break: 8 months? You won't make it far in this business with such broad minded dead lines.

I'm glad you have a nice hobby, it was nice to see your results -- but everything else about it is underwhelming and insincere. Both in regard to SNK's art design heritage as well as your way of communicating with your audience, which, by the way, you don't take seriously at all. Not in the slightest.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Actually I got in contact with mathieu for a longer time and it was always a nice discussion about prices and conditions of carts and inserts ;)
BTT: I like the work you did with the arts, but baby blue is not my favourite colour and softshells are shit, better take Snapcases.

If you want to make big money with it, I guess you are wrong here. But I am pretty sure you know that and really only want to know if your work is appreciated. And you see...... it´s not. But shit happens ;)

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You show your work openly to receive feedback on your product & its presentation. Calling it "cat fighting" is another sign of your arrogance. There are about 20 thousand other graphistes, that are better, faster and lesser expensive than you. The only thing you have to differ from them is your own character, which is reflected in your conceptions, development & approach. As of now, you're giving us the least interesting part, the final product, which, as already said, 20k can deliver in an astonishingly more efficient way. And the only thing you have to say about your outcome is: I did it, because I can.

Obviously your work is not without certain qualities, but the way how you present it and how much thought went into it, is absolutely disappointing. You just peddling with your hobby project from one forum to another and have nothing else to share but amateurish small talk. No thought process, no interesting conception elucidations, no insights into your approach. And give me a break: 8 months? You won't make it far in this business with such broad minded dead lines.

I'm glad you have a nice hobby, it was nice to see your results -- but everything else about it is underwhelming and insincere. Both in regard to SNK's art design heritage as well as your way of communicating with your audience, which, by the way, you don't take seriously at all. Not in the slightest.

He didn't want feedback at all. When I offered some, he took offense. This while thread was to drum up sales via PM as he knew he'd get piled on if he went to the market with it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
He didn't want feedback at all. When I offered some, he took offense. This while thread was to drum up sales via PM as he knew he'd get piled on if he went to the market with it.

Then it's shocking how low he values his own work, as he's ready to use it the way you described.

Edit @Hasuki-san: I didn't appreciate the attitude, otherwise his work could have been fully discussed.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm guessing these will be sold through NeoAyato, another "limited edition" bootleg like they did with Ironclad which was like $500-700 or something.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
@Hasuki : thats leads us back to early 2015, my first neogeo trade.
I really miss my RBus. Hope its still in good hands !

@all : Did I handle this like a shitbag ? Yes.
Will I post in this thread again ? No.
Will I insult someone, or push the Godwin button before leaving ? Tempting
But as a final post here, I'll try to give a few cold-headed answer.

When choices could be made, i used that grid :
A : what would snk had done,
B : what is the best choice quality wise (technical point of view),
C : what is reallistic & what would allow to lower final price,
D : what would provide narrative elements having an effect on the gaming experience.
All questions beeing equal.

Not saying I systematicly applied that grid. But i did as often as i could.
Some choices, as allways, would be worth being argued.

A good exemple : the use of soft box.
A : due to timeline, snk would have done hard box.
B : new soft box are of much better quality (thicker plastic of inner tray, no wraping of outer cover) than genuine snk soft box. New hard box however are ok, but of a lesser quality than genuine hard box.
C : soft box decrease final cost by roughly 20 euro.
D : soft box offer a wider area for picture. On a simple and pragmatic point of view, more space for picture, more narrative elements and more design options.
/A/ for hard box, /B/C/D/ for soft box. Soft boxes it is then.

Another exemple : the choice of cyan for us/euro cover.
A : in 1996, snk tryed a few out of the box us/euro insert (kof96, aof3). Cyan fits ok with the (puzzle) yellow stripes. I believe cyan could be argued upon.
B : Choosing one of the basic offset printing colors (C/M/Y) gives a much better quality of solid-color, a thiner printing on clear line drawing and all vector elements on that color.
C : had allready did the choice to go for traditional offset printing. Might aswell use offset tricks that numeric printing do not allow, as this wont impact price.
D : why not, as said when answering at the DZ constructive questions (post 25-26) toy with the game mecanics (blue/us - oj/jap) ?
This is, for me, a /A/B/C/D/ for going cyan.

A more plain exemple, is the choice of working with Atomik :
A : On a small run like this, snk would have probably refurbished old carts. They had allready done so.
B : Atomik cart are clean and clear. No free wire, professionnaly soldered. Looks much better and more lasting than a eprom+sac car.
C : Saccing cart would have lowered final price.
D : not a relevant question, and at the same time quite a relevant one. Custom-cards keeps a know-how alive. And its an open-door at dreaming of new project.
So /A/C/ for saccing, /B/D/ for Atomik. Even. I gave more importance to /D/, and chose to look at the future, not at the past. I didnt knew personally the lad at the time, so it was a blind jump. He has proven trustworthy, friendly, and as done all that he could to help make this happen. I would do exactly the same choice as of today.

Of note, whatever the method, 2 different person would achieve 2 different results.
Nci appear as working much closer to what snk might have done.
Thats why I said that this work cannot be mistaken for nci past work.
I cant help seeing this variety of results as a gift.

There are 2 things that could have been better (the methology being an hypothesis) :
-Tonk could have had the opportunity to express himself in the history booklet (no mistake were written tho) (see my answers to his questions posts 49-55).
-The megcount appear as a worthy subject of discussion. I have found much Inconsistency over the web regarding that, and I lack the technical skill to make a choice that would actually be a choice. The subject could have had a full page just for it, getting into details.
There is one thing that should have been better :
There is a few typo, among wich a truly misplaced in the history booklet (tho this dont leads a knowing mind to misinterpretation).

As I said, this is my final post.
Had not much more hope posting here than shaking things up.
I'd rather do a project like that than buy a big aes game.
I believe its much better spent money.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
@Hasuki : thats leads us back to early 2015, my first neogeo trade.
I really miss my RBus. Hope its still in good hands !

@all : Did I handle this like a shitbag ? Yes.
Will I post in this thread again ? No.
Will I insult someone, or push the Godwin button before leaving ? Tempting
But as a final post here, I'll try to give a few cold-headed answer.

When choices could be made, i used that grid :
A : what would snk had done,
B : what is the best choice quality wise (technical point of view),
C : what is reallistic & what would allow to lower final price,
D : what would provide narrative elements having an effect on the gaming experience.
All questions beeing equal.

Not saying I systematicly applied that grid. But i did as often as i could.
Some choices, as allways, would be worth being argued.

A good exemple : the use of soft box.
A : due to timeline, snk would have done hard box.
B : new soft box are of much better quality (thicker plastic of inner tray, no wraping of outer cover) than genuine snk soft box. New hard box however are ok, but of a lesser quality than genuine hard box.
C : soft box decrease final cost by roughly 20 euro.
D : soft box offer a wider area for picture. On a simple and pragmatic point of view, more space for picture, more narrative elements and more design options.
/A/ for hard box, /B/C/D/ for soft box. Soft boxes it is then.

Another exemple : the choice of cyan for us/euro cover.
A : in 1996, snk tryed a few out of the box us/euro insert (kof96, aof3). Cyan fits ok with the (puzzle) yellow stripes. I believe cyan could be argued upon.
B : Choosing one of the basic offset printing colors (C/M/Y) gives a much better quality of solid-color, a thiner printing on clear line drawing and all vector elements on that color.
C : had allready did the choice to go for traditional offset printing. Might aswell use offset tricks that numeric printing do not allow, as this wont impact price.
D : why not, as said when answering at the DZ constructive questions (post 25-26) toy with the game mecanics (blue/us - oj/jap) ?
This is, for me, a /A/B/C/D/ for going cyan.

A more plain exemple, is the choice of working with Atomik :
A : On a small run like this, snk would have probably refurbished old carts. They had allready done so.
B : Atomik cart are clean and clear. No free wire, professionnaly soldered. Looks much better and more lasting than a eprom+sac car.
C : Saccing cart would have lowered final price.
D : not a relevant question, and at the same time quite a relevant one. Custom-cards keeps a know-how alive. And its an open-door at dreaming of new project.
So /A/C/ for saccing, /B/D/ for Atomik. Even. I gave more importance to /D/, and chose to look at the future, not at the past. I didnt knew personally the lad at the time, so it was a blind jump. He has proven trustworthy, friendly, and as done all that he could to help make this happen. I would do exactly the same choice as of today.

Of note, whatever the method, 2 different person would achieve 2 different results.
Nci appear as working much closer to what snk might have done.
Thats why I said that this work cannot be mistaken for nci past work.
I cant help seeing this variety of results as a gift.

There are 2 things that could have been better (the methology being an hypothesis) :
-Tonk could have had the opportunity to express himself in the history booklet (no mistake were written tho) (see my answers to his questions posts 49-55).
-The megcount appear as a worthy subject of discussion. I have found much Inconsistency over the web regarding that, and I lack the technical skill to make a choice that would actually be a choice. The subject could have had a full page just for it, getting into details.
There is one thing that should have been better :
There is a few typo, among wich a truly misplaced in the history booklet (tho this dont leads a knowing mind to misinterpretation).

As I said, this is my final post.
Had not much more hope posting here than shaking things up.
I'd rather do a project like that than buy a big aes game.
I believe its much better spent money.

frenchman1.jpg