So I finally got around to listening to Aphex Twin....

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Squarepusher
Steinvord
Venetian Snares
u-Ziq
Evol Intent (older stuff)

Ask Kid Panda (BFF), he's an encyclopedia of IDM.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mr. James has lots of musical facets so it's a bit difficult recommending stuff that sounds like his music for me. Let's just say there's the older Aphex Twin of the Analogue Bubblebath era, the drill-beat Aphex of Come To Daddy fame and the newer stuff with lots of twists and turns.

I find some of his music very inspirational and really dig his technical nerdiness when it comes to using obscure gear.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Aphex twin were the bomb back in the widowlicker day's. I do unfortunately find a lot of richard james stuff borderline unlistenable to though, just random sounds and beats strung together, far too experimental and raw for me.
Note to chris cunningham as well, you can't really mention aphex twin without mentioning this guy, i still find widowlicker, come to daddy, rubber johnny and monkey drummer, weird, twisted but spellbinding, totally unique, whatever happened to the guy ???

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I haven't listened to him since my college days (ala 1996-1998). I remember I care because you do. What was the album with his face on the cover?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gareth Clarke
Autechre - might be too experimental for your tastes
The Flashbulb - US version of Squarepusher
Wagon Christ
There really is so much stuff, Aphex pretty much creates genres and then others follow up several years later. If you have Spotify, shoot me a PM and I'll link you my electronic playlist, over 9,000 songs should keep you busy.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Bogdan Raczynski & D'Arcangelo (both on Rephlex).

Edit: The first LP from Jamie Lidell, Muddlin Gear is weird enough to qualify, too. Very good stuff back then, still thought provoking now. Daddy's Car being an old favorite of mine.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Gareth Clarke
Wagon Christ
There really is so much stuff, Aphex pretty much creates genres and then others follow up several years later. If you have Spotify, shoot me a PM and I'll link you my electronic playlist, over 9,000 songs should keep you busy.
For some reason, it won't let me log in to spotify on PS4.

cat

Gareth Clarke
Wagon Christ

Wow, i never realised you were into this stuff so much KP, alway's thought it was more of a european vibe for us lot on the other side of the pond.
I still rather the more mainstream stuff myself (being a 90's raver) lol.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow, i never realised you were into this stuff so much KP, alway's thought it was more of a european vibe for us lot on the other side of the pond.
I still rather the more mainstream stuff myself (being a 90's raver) lol.

When I graduated High School I moved to a different state and bought a couple of electronic CDs from Best Buy, after that it was pretty much buying stuff on the internet and finding soooooooooo much stuff on Newsgroups as well. I got into electronic mostly because I was into games. :D
The first 4 I bought were
Autechre - Amber
Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants
U-ziq - Lunatic Harness
Photek - Modus Operandi
after that it was down the rabbit hole...

cat

Electronic music rocks, because i was a teenager in the early 80's i grew up with it over here in the uk, it's such a large and diverse genre that there really is something for everyone in it.
I remember going to glastonbury in my lateish 20's and seeing the orb live doing an amazing gig, it really was something to see.
Orbital weren't too shabby either (93-94ish ???).
Fluffy white clouds is still one of my fav tracks of all time.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I made a track awhile ago that was sort of inspired by Aphex Twin. If you'd like to listen it's here

West

Mr. Big's Thug
The first 4 I bought were
Autechre - Amber
Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants
U-ziq - Lunatic Harness
Photek - Modus Operandi
after that it was down the rabbit hole...

Autechre was the shit. Their Gescom side project stuff was wicked too.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Autechre was the shit. Their Gescom side project stuff was wicked too.

My buddy owns the Gescom Minidisc, his player allows for gapless random play and that MD was supposed to be a example of how to do it right. Everytime you listen to it it's like a new mix.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
also try

Polygon Window
Mike and Rich
Boards of Canada
Plastikman

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
huge seconds to

squarepusher
the flashbulb

squarepusher is probably my favorite electronic artist period. his entire catalog is so diverse while still being enjoyable.

also check out

four tet
amon tobin
venetian snares

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Also, the South African duo "Die Antwoord"(probably saw them in Chappie) sampled Aphex Twin's Ageispolis for their track 'Ugly Boy' back in 2014.

Here's the "controversial" video for it

it has Richard D James(Aphex Twin) in it wearing "black face".

:spock: