Most underrated Neo game

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Controversial opinion (probably) but the whole damn samurai shodown series (especially II).

SSII marked the rare occasion where the opinion of press & fans was one. Rare, because arcade games, at least in Germany, were often misunderstood by mag critics, who regarded them with their consolized eyes only, thus, what a surprise, ending their review with a derogatory assessment.

So even seen from that angle, SSII was a huge success. All the way, so to speak. To think of it as underrated is only possible, if video gaming started for you with the introduction of DLCs.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
My first thought was Blue's Journey but quite a few of you mentioned it so perhaps it's not that underrated. Baseball Stars Professional seems to be underrated because of the 2nd one. The sequel is certainly more technically impressive but doesn't render the first one useless as far as I'm concerned. They each have their own feel and I have fun with both of them. Alpha Mission is another one I enjoy that doesn't seem to get much love.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's going to have to be League Bowling for me.

I don't see a whole lot said about it, but it hasn't ever failed to put a smile on my face since discovering it somewhere in the 90's. It's got that earnest cheerfulness and personality that feels unique to arcade games from back then, and it's a total blast to run through quickly in good company!

I'd love to try this linked with 8 players someday. :D

bFmDaAb.png

Controversial opinion (probably) but the whole damn samurai shodown series (especially II). It got hugely overshadowed by KoF and Fatal Fury, but it's an amazing fighting series in its own right. Long flashy combos and crazy rosters can be fun, but it's a great feeling to just bap somebody in the head with one hit of your sword for like half their health.

Yeah, Kabuki Klash also, for the same reasons.

I hear that. For some reason I can't really get into the king of fighters.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member

I don't see a whole lot said about it, but it hasn't ever failed to put a smile on my face since discovering it somewhere in the 90's. It's got that earnest cheerfulness and personality that feels unique to arcade games from back then, and it's a total blast to run through quickly in good company!

bFmDaAb.png

Yeah I'm with you on that one. It's just a good enjoyable simple game and i'd also like to try the 8 player sometime.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Yeah I'm with you on that one. It's just a good enjoyable simple game and i'd also like to try the 8 player sometime.

It's all about throwing back a cold one everytime a beer frame comes up. :)

TopTierArcade

Zero's Secretary
I feel like breakers revenge doesn't get enough love. Maybe motw and RB2 got more attention

100% back you on Breaker's Revenge. Fun game play, amazing controls, fluid chain-link combos, balanced characters, multi-level special moves that makes strategy an integral part of when to use during the rounds. I think it would have had more love if it was released to the home console and had more ports. Characters were meh and I wish they had more, graphics were good and sound/music ok. Only real complaints..But love it regardless

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

bFmDaAb.png
League Bowling,appreciated by neo-geo owners i've never seen the game as underrated.Outside of it yes to non ones that see the system for metal slug and kof.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
100% back you on Breaker's Revenge. Fun game play, amazing controls, fluid chain-link combos, balanced characters, multi-level special moves that makes strategy an integral part of when to use during the rounds. I think it would have had more love if it was released to the home console and had more ports. Characters were meh and I wish they had more, graphics were good and sound/music ok. Only real complaints..But love it regardless

More ports? BR and the original Breakers didn't receive any ports. What does this arbitrary "love" term mean. I'd imagine the first Breakers earned enough in Japanese arcades to warrant a sequel like BR, it's not like the series was completely irrelevant. I don't think a BR homecart release would have made the game any more popular either.

I guess the first part of your post made sense.

Last edited:

TopTierArcade

Zero's Secretary
More ports? BR and the original Breakers didn't receive any ports. What does this arbitrary "love" term mean. I'd imagine the first Breakers earned enough in Japanese arcades to warrant a sequel like BR, it's not like the series was completely irrelevant. I don't think a BR homecart release would have made the game any more popular either.

I guess the first part of your post made sense.

More ports as in porting the game to SNES, PS1, Saturn, Virtual Console, Neo_geo/snk collection, ect. I have to disagree that it wouldn't have been more popular if the western world got the release for home console. Yes, Japan knows about it, but unless you're a niche gamer, you won't know about it. It would be better for the masses to play the game. It wasn't an arbitrary statement, it's drenched in validity and fact. Yes, first part was sweet :p

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
More ports as in porting the game to SNES, PS1, Saturn, Virtual Console, Neo_geo/snk collection, ect. I have to disagree

Your use of "more" implies that the game received at least one port. There were no ports. I don't need you to explain to me what a port is.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I just acquired League Bowling earlier this month, but was away for a bit and just missed its arrival. Fantastic game. Loved it when it was new, and sure while it's about as basic and SNES like as you can get, who f'n cares, it's awesome. I think it's non-niche underrated. We being the niche of SNK MVS/AES owners who know of it and appreciate it, but leave that small circle into the wide world of SNK ROM releases on disc or download, and it's excluded so much. SNK = Metal Slug, KOF, Samurai Shodown, Baseball Stars (also in part to the NES x 2), and not much else to so many people limited to that junk and the dotemu android/ios releases.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
One of my most favorite games for the Neo Geo which happens to be very much underrated is Breakers Revenge. I absolutely love everything about it!

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
Neo Geo Cup 98 because it's the best game on the system.

Or on any gaming device ever in fact.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Street Hoop for sure! Man this game is a lot of fun once you play with someone that is good and competitive.

I always thought Street Hoop was fine when you were just starting out with it but as soon as you got good you realised that it was impossible to defend and then it just became a game of "I score, you score". Maybe there was something I was missing but there seemed to be no depth to it whatsoever.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I agree with Kabuki Klash being very underrated.