Most underrated Neo game

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Double Dragon,sure it's not a top notch fighter but i think it's fine as is.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
i'm going to say real bout 1. i love the recreation of the first fatal fury game that goes on here. it may not look as good as the other real bout games, but it does play as good. and that cover art, bad ass geese :buttrock:

Totally agree, I have more fun with this game than any other FF bar special.

Other great games that get pushed aside in light of the big hitters:
Breakers
AOF 1
KOF 94/95

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Agree? Disagree? What do you guys think is the most underrated Neo game?

I agree, due to it's very specific atmosphere one can use the word "underrated", because that unusual setting certainly makes up for the gameplay flaws and the overall stiffness of controlls. It spawned two sequels, that's also a recognition of the potential lying within this first entry. Though I wouldn't call it the most undervalued game on the Neo.

There are many ways to tag a game "underrated" anyway. Some games are, because of their limited release, like Money Puzzle Exchanger, which was third party and MVS only. Some others are just too niche & obscure, like Stakes Winner. It even had an English AES release and an enjoyable gameplay, still, it practically never gets played. There's also the case, in which a certain genre has so much of audio-visual killer titles to offer, that lesser dazzling entries become automatically underrated, like Andro Dunos within STGs or Ninja Master's within versus fighters. The list of reasons is long...

I'd say, that an "underrated" game is then truly underrated, if its gameplay merits weren't properly acknowledged for no obvious reasons at all, so for me personally, the most underrated game on the Neo-Geo is Raguy.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Other great games that get pushed aside in light of the big hitters:
Breakers
AOF 1
KOF 94/95

i wouldn't say 95 much because it's a fan favourite, but i agree that 94 is highly underrated. a lot of people make it out like 95 is where it all started. but 94 is sweet with some of my favourite backgrounds in any fighter. specially the japan stage that was inspired by akira.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
1+ for Blue's Journey. I'm starting to play this and it's bringing back memory. Neo Drift out and Neo Turf Master seem to be over look by new comers

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Blue's Journey, Kabuki Klash, King of the Monsters 1 & 2, and Real Bout 2. Kabuki Klash doesn't seem to get much love and is often overshadowed by Last Blade and Samurai Shodown, King of the Monsters 1 is the best wrestling game on the Neo Geo, and King of the Monsters 2 is my favorite beat em up on the Neo Geo. As for Real Bout 2, I feel it is constantly overlooked due to it's predecessor, Real Bout Special.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ninja Combat!

Easily in my top 3.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Well the idea of ninja shootemup is cool but other than that whats good about it?
I think Super Sidekicks 3 is little bit underrated its fun to play.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Always thought Neo Cup 98 was the best of the football games. I loved the ludicrous goal celebration animations and thought the power bar on Ultimate 11 unbalanced the game. Samurai Shodown 3 was my favourite of the series despite the fact that everyone seems to hate it. I loved the broody atmosphere, so much better than the colour drenched 2nd game.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Cite sources, please.

i guess it depends on the generation. through the years, i've also heard a lot of hate for ss3/4. recently i'm hearing a lot of hate for ssv/special. i personally love them all. maybe even more so than the last blade games.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I feel like breakers revenge doesn't get enough love. Maybe motw and RB2 got more attention

i guess it depends on the generation. through the years, i've also heard a lot of hate for ss3/4. recently i'm hearing a lot of hate for ssv/special. i personally love them all. maybe even more so than the last blade games.

I hear the most hate for SS3 due to life compared to SS4

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
i wouldn't say 95 much because it's a fan favourite, but i agree that 94 is highly underrated. a lot of people make it out like 95 is where it all started. but 94 is sweet with some of my favourite backgrounds in any fighter. specially the japan stage that was inspired by akira.

Honestly there's something nice about not being able to edit your team. Gives the game a different dynamic. I love KOF94.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I hear the most hate for SS3 due to life compared to SS4

funny you say that, aj. most people i come across think that ss4 was a downgrade of ss3. ss4 is the one i witness getting the most hate.

Honestly there's something nice about not being able to edit your team. Gives the game a different dynamic. I love KOF94.

i agree. there is a charm to only being able to play as a group of characters. always loved the presentation of this one. definitely underrated.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
SVC Chaos Super Plus
/thread
:p

I see, i enjoyed playing alittle SvC, but the hit boxes were so funky it was abit off putting. i know there are a few hacks of it. Heard there was one that fixed the hit boxes and one that had the kof style evasive roll. If those are in that version then i would def agree.

funny you say that, aj. most people i come across think that ss4 was a downgrade of ss3. ss4 is the one i witness getting the most hate.
Ive heard most of the hate at other places like ppl i talk to or other forums, but in the forum seems to be alot more SS3 love. lol

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Sengoku? Disagree. Like most series, it got better with its sequels. 1 isn't that great.

My pick is Street Hoop. It can be easily overlooked as a poor man's NBA JAM (or the Neo version, if you prefer), but damn is it fun.

Others I've heard is NTM and MIE, but I've only spent a little time with them, so I can't say yay or nay.

Street Hoop for sure! Man this game is a lot of fun once you play with someone that is good and competitive. Same with Magical Drop 2/3, which I consider the most underrated puzzler of all time.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
battle flip shot is another game i think is underrated due to windjammers

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'll have to add to the votes on Spin Master and Ninja Combat and I own those, also Blue's Journey I think gets passed over and worth a vote too. I'm not sure if it's popular or not, haven't been here consistently long enough to see if there's a following but Mutation Nation is a nice one I don't see get much said about it.

BigDeadFreak: Count me into your club, I prefer SS3 over any of the others. It was in my college rec room back in the 90s and I played the hell out of it. I suck now, but back then I could school the hell out of people with Shizumaru.

Last edited: