Most underrated Neo game

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I think Shock Troopers is underrated for how good it is. Not necessarily here, but definitely among the general gaming public.

I think Rage of the Dragons is pretty underrated, too.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I think Shock Troopers is underrated for how good it is. Not necessarily here, but definitely among the general gaming public.

I think Rage of the Dragons is pretty underrated, too.

i completely agree. shock troopers should of been known as a game that represents the neo geo. it's the best game of its kind imo.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Reading through this thread it's interesting to see what people think.

I'd agree with the KOF '99 thing. But I remember that coming out and being blown away by it. The stages, art-style and overall presentation in '99 are polished as hell. I seem to remember '99 being pretty damn popular at the time though, bemusing how it's seen as unpopular. I definitely still rate it highly.

DJ makes a good point about 2001 having a great moveset, but yeah - it looks markedly unpolished in comparison. Maybe I'll give it more of a chance... it's certainly the more worthy title to be on an underrated list.

My choice would definitely be Crossed Swords as an under-rated game and a definite niche title. For a fighter I'd tend to say Real Bout Fatal Fury - cool ringout mechanic, great fun and it's still pretty.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
I do tend to like Mutant Nation quite a lot. However, no one ever talks about it so I could very well be alone in that regard.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Reading through this thread it's interesting to see what people think.

I'd agree with the KOF '99 thing. But I remember that coming out and being blown away by it. The stages, art-style and overall presentation in '99 are polished as hell. I seem to remember '99 being pretty damn popular at the time though, bemusing how it's seen as unpopular. I definitely still rate it highly.

Yeah personally it's hard for me to imagine KoF99 being underrated. I wasn't the biggest arcade goer but I remember 99 as being the most hyped Neo Geo game. After 98 everyone wanted to see what was coming next. I still remember seeing promotional material at the arcade center and looking forward to the day they would receive it. At the very least I feel it was the most hyped up KoF in the arcades.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
the neo scene is way too small and insular to make way for something that can be termed underrated and hidden gem.
everything on the system could be termed underrated if compared to mainstream games on other systems. this is niche gaming like no other.
I appreciate a thread such as this because it brings up some long forgotten games, but it does seem to be an exercise in futility. I would have asked what unpopular game would you personally rate. but then it isn't my thread
I never thought NAM was rated btw. surprised

I do not consider the Neo to be a niche system. It is one of the most common arcade boards on the planet. Just certain games are rare.

I do tend to like Mutant Nation quite a lot. However, no one ever talks about it so I could very well be alone in that regard.

You are not alone there.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I hardly ever hear about or even see the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series. At first glance, they seem like a a standard run-of-the-mill shmup, but they're pretty damn fun once you play them. I first found out about the game when my dad took my brother and I up to Snowshoe Brewery in Arnold, CA. They had a couple Neo cabs, one of them being a goldie.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I hardly ever hear about or even see the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series. At first glance, they seem like a a standard run-of-the-mill shmup, but they're pretty damn fun once you play them. I first found out about the game when my dad took my brother and I up to Snowshoe Brewery in Arnold, CA. They had a couple Neo cabs, one of them being a goldie.

nah, dude. aero fighters is usually considered to be amongst the best shooters on the system.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I do not consider the Neo to be a niche system. It is one of the most common arcade boards on the planet. Just certain games are rare.

You are not alone there.

sorry but as an arcade system for the home - that in itself is an acquired taste that has arisen in the past few decades (cabs/superguns etc). it is the very definition of niche.
hence..

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Power Spikes II, Power League is actually a good portion of the game, intricate motions for cool serves and deadly spikes!

Karnov's Revenge
I don't think so, most people that actually play it have nothing but good things to say about it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
sorry but as an arcade system for the home - that in itself is an acquired taste that has arisen in the past few decades (cabs/superguns etc). it is the very definition of niche.
hence..
So I'm gonna say for arcade stuff, the Neo is very common. But not necessarily outside of that scene.