3 NES shooters, which to buy?

Which is your Fav?

• Total voters

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
All three are awesome. Recca is where it's at though. Gameplay is tough, but fun, and the soundtrack is ahead of its time

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
none of those choices are stinger.

the game should be stinger.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
none of those choices are stinger.

the game should be stinger.

ha, I could pick that up for cheaps, I can't stand the power up system. Never been a fan of the bells.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

I think I'm going to hold off. I want to buy a fami for that and not have to use my NES with a converter. I want to get the JPN Castlevania 3 for the soundchip which doesn't work on the US NES even with an adapter so I have my reasons among others (coolness factor plays into it as well.)

I have Recca on the way and will get a few more later on.

If I like the job on Recca, I'll get Over Horizon next.

Crisis Force and Gun Nac may have to wait.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Been forgetting to post this but the guy on nes reproductions does a great job!

61bab9a823f016cb3fc5456e5427083f.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So you wasted money on fake games instead of just buying a flash cart? Oops.

I'd rather have a repro than a play it all cart. Just not what I want when sitting down to play some games.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'd rather have a repro than a play it all cart. Just not what I want when sitting down to play some games.

While I really can't see myself ever paying money for a repro cart, I can also totally understand what you're saying.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
While I really can't see myself ever paying money for a repro cart, I can also totally understand what you're saying.

I feel I am more likely to keep my attention to one game at a time this way. When you have a menu of games in front of you, you tend to just go through each game fast and not value it as much.

I may buy a everdrive in the future but not in my immediate plans. I'm only going to buy repros of games not available to the us market or super overpriced ($200+)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Recca is not only the best shmup on Famicom, it's quite possibly the most impressive and hardware-demanding Famicom title ever made. It's also programmed at PAL speeds to make it run faster. You'll notice that the clock in time attack mode is only accurate when running at PAL speed.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Recca is not only the best shmup on Famicom, it's quite possibly the most impressive and hardware-demanding Famicom title ever made. It's also programmed at PAL speeds to make it run faster. You'll notice that the clock in time attack mode is only accurate when running at PAL speed.

interesting, had no idea.

I'm not sure if it's the best, but it's damn fun. It's no more challenging than Life Force (my other favorite NES shmup).

What is your favorite NES shmup?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
interesting, had no idea.

I'm not sure if it's the best, but it's damn fun. It's no more challenging than Life Force (my other favorite NES shmup).

What is your favorite NES shmup?

I've never played Crisis Force or gun nac (blasphemy, I know)

I guess I always enjoyed a good round of Gradius or R-Type when I was little.

Fun fact, I own over 15 different vintage bootlegs of recca. :p

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I want gun nac so bad.

Side note for OP or anyone Im pretty sure those 400 or 250 in 1 multi NES carts on ebay have Gun nac on them (one of them does). Ive been debating just going that route for it for now, they are down to like $25 shipped.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I want gun nac so bad.

Side note for OP or anyone Im pretty sure those 400 or 250 in 1 multi NES carts on ebay have Gun nac on them (one of them does). Ive been debating just going that route for it for now, they are down to like $25 shipped.

My thing about that is similar to when I went from ipod back to vinyl/cassette, in that I had music on demand at any time but wasn't enjoying listening as much anymore similar to romming. I had all these games at my disposal but I wasn't having as much fun as being constrained to one game at a time and trying to master it.

I have no experience with those carts. I might buy an everdrive in the future.

Last edited:

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
My vote is still on Recca. Crisis Force is good and has that classic Konami punch to it, but can be a little....empty feeling... after playing Recca. Try to get a "Recca Pure" done on a cart if you can. It has all of the modes unlocked (4?) from the jump.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
My vote is still on Recca. Crisis Force is good and has that classic Konami punch to it, but can be a little....empty feeling... after playing Recca. Try to get a "Recca Pure" done on a cart if you can. It has all of the modes unlocked (4?) from the jump.

Yep. That's what I had him do. But I'm not using the extra stuff much. Nice to fuck with i spose. I can't get past the 3rd stage yet.