3 NES shooters, which to buy?

Which is your Fav?

• Total voters

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I can't decide between Gun Nac, Crisis Force, or Recca. Which is your fav and why?

Most likely repros (possibly a fami cart for Crisis Force and Gun Nac).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
gun nac, because i havent played the other two, but gun nac is tits, mate

shooting carrots n shit
played it for the first time in what 2003/04 and it blew me away even back then
killer game

go for it roke

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I have not had a chance to really sit down with Gun Nac, but out of the other two I'd choose Recca. It is pretty intense and really fun to play. But if you can I'd get them all probably. I think I like Over Horizon more than any of those though.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Recca.

Because Shinobu Yagawa.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
which one: Gun Nac

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
gun nac is just too fun of a game.haven't played recca in years, but i remember it being just too unforgiving. i don't think i ever gotten further than the second level.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Crisis Force is my favorite co-op vertical shooter on the Famicom. The production values were top shelf for its time. The number of innovations are really impressive- They include temporary super-weapon, selectable aim, end-stage bosses with multiple forms, minibosses of distinct sizes, small enemies flanking when you attack a cruiser, and a few more I surely forgot. I happen to very much dig the whole "Chariots of the Gods"-style aesthetic the array of monsters seem to embody.

I don't find Recca to be an enjoyable game outside of very small doses. Too unrelenting for my tastes. It gets monotonous after 20-30 minutes' worth of restarts. The music tracks might arguably be the most dynamic and realized of the trio in this poll, though.

Gun Nac is a competently made game, however I'd describe that one as a complete pushover, challenge-wise. Never found the cheesy rabbit-centric visual motif anything to write home about, either. It was one of the select few 1990s vertical STG's I beat on my first attempt, and with crazy surplus lives to spare. It's also one of several Compile games I have minimal interest in revisiting, but am glad to have played through in their entirety nonetheless.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude Gunac is so much damn fun. Be careful though my buddy paid 90.00 on a copy and that bitch turned out to be an almost flawless boot. He was super pissed. Not sure if it's common for Gunac to be faked though. as far as Recca you can get the Summer Carnival version on 3DS on the cheap.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm not normally into NES/Famicom games but Crisis Force is legit.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Crisis Force 4 lyfe. For reasons already mentioned. That game blew me away the first time I played it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Yeah it is going to get hard to tell, what was the giveaway? The board?

Yeah he opened it to clean it and started yelling obscenities for like an hour.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Compile rules, go for Gun-Nac. Nothing wrong with those other two, but they're a bit on the experimental side. Recca is almost Danmaku and Crisis is just as unusual. Both take the Fami beyond its capabilities and that's their main premise, whereas Nac is plug'n'play at its best.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
You can probably find a famicom copy for about the same price, plus you will have the actual game and not a boot.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
You can probably find a famicom copy for about the same price, plus you will have the actual game and not a boot.

fami games are going pretty high too. Last I checked it was 100+

I'm not in a rush. I'll keep looking.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Trick question....answer is Blade Buster

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
OP says you're considering repros. Thus, you already can't afford the game.

missed this post. You sir are awesome beyond comprehension.

I would rather buy repros than everdrives or expensive originals. I think the realm of 40-80 bucks is the acceptable thresh hold I'd go to.

Repros are awesome, especially if done right.

edit: exceptions only apply to Kizuna Encounter Euro, but Aero Fighters 3 is awesome.

Last edited: