Snes sound issue

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
So I've been getting back into snes collecting recently. Got a system, a few pal games, and a convertor to play us, or Japanese games. Here's the issue though: it doesn't matter the game, US, Euro, the sound refuses to work. I've tried SCART, tried AV, even tried the old RF plug. Nothing brings the sound in. Best I can get is on my Euro fatal fury special, which will sometimes make a noise for special moves, sometimes. Though it's all garbled and muffled and sounds like shit.

Anyone have any ideas? Don't want to just buy another system cause those aren't cheap, and it might not fix it. Anyone good at repairing snes systems?

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So I've been getting back into snes collecting recently. Got a system, a few pal games, and a convertor to play us, or Japanese games. Here's the issue though: it doesn't matter the game, US, Euro, the sound refuses to work. I've tried SCART, tried AV, even tried the old RF plug. Nothing brings the sound in. Best I can get is on my Euro fatal fury special, which will sometimes make a noise for special moves, sometimes. Though it's all garbled and muffled and sounds like shit.

Anyone have any ideas? Don't want to just buy another system cause those aren't cheap, and it might not fix it. Anyone good at repairing snes systems?
I've seen that before. It was a bad chip you can only find in another SNES.
SNES is probably the least reliable machine of that era. I can't count the number of SNES that just died in my hands for no reason (black screen of death = bad CPU/PPU).

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
That chip is likely the SPC700.

Depending on your model, it may actually be a module that you could unplug and replace.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you need that module I have some spares. I probably have some junk pcbs if you need the chip but I don't have the skillz to remove a smd chip.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've seen that before. It was a bad chip you can only find in another SNES.
SNES is probably the least reliable machine of that era. I can't count the number of SNES that just died in my hands for no reason (black screen of death = bad CPU/PPU).

The SNES is unreliable because almost every PCB revision has practically no power filtering. The slightest ripples in the power source can wreck the board.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I believe there is an unused place on most SNES pcbs for a fatty filtering cap...something like 2200uF 25V.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'm lost and don't know what any of this means. Buy a different snes is all I'm getting haha. I don't have a soldering iron, the steady hand, or knowledge to do anything of the sort without fucking it up more.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
...I have a spare snes somewhere... I think..

UK Pal version.. seeing as you're in Ireland shipping wont be so bad...

...If I can find it... YOU pay for shipping... it's yours:D

xROTx

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
...I have a spare snes somewhere... I think..

UK Pal version.. seeing as you're in Ireland shipping wont be so bad...

...If I can find it... YOU pay for shipping... it's yours:D

xROTx
Rot you just gave me a boner. I'd be all over that like flies at a barbecue, like scum on a bus, like home carts on your nipples.

Let me know if you find it, I'll make sure you're taken care of ;)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Is there a known fix?

Adding power caps is only a preventive measure. If your SNES has broken graphics or doesn't boot games, then either the RAM or the CPU or the S-PPU chips died. The latter two are custom parts only found in other SNES boards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Wow, I've always found the SNES to be super-reliable. Never had one die on me before. They're so cheap, I wouldn't even fuck with it. Just get a replacement.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've had to fix a few, but mostly because of those shitty power jacks. But those are cheap to find now.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Wow, I've always found the SNES to be super-reliable. Never had one die on me before. They're so cheap, I wouldn't even fuck with it. Just get a replacement.

That's where I'm at. But finding a cheap, working, pal snes is difficult. Ebay is riddled with gougers, and other than rot who is on the look for his old one, I'm SOL for now.