PC-Engine Help.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Alright so I have a PC Engine with a 9V D/C power adapter, hooked up to RF and set to channel setting II. i've tried all of the channels between 60 and 99 but get nothing. Is there a way to test the PCE to see if it's getting power as there isn't indicator light?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well, you can open it up and use a multimeter at the fuses, that's the easiest way.

Are you using it on an analog TV? I doubt it would work on a newer tv with a digital tuner. I never tried a PCE but on my famicom I had to flip between the two channels on the Fami and fiddle with the 90's before I found one setting that actually displayed a terrible picture. That thing got AV modded with the quickness.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Nothing external, unless you have a ten no koe bank to put on the back of it. You could check the internal fuse and the 7805 regulator to see if you're getting 5v on the output.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Thanks for the tips. I am using a newer TV so hopefully that's the problem. Going to have to break out the old multi meter..

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Why not just AV mod it?
Or use some female jumper wires and a spare set of RCA cables to pull Composite Video and audio from the expansion port?
it's super easy.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The guy who runs that site is a total fag.

^^Seconded. I mean, have you seen his videos? :lolz:

It should be channel 95 or 96 via RF. If you have an extra AV cable laying around, connect the composite video and ground on the exp port and see if you get video that way.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
^^Seconded. I mean, have you seen his videos? :lolz:

It should be channel 95 or 96 via RF. If you have an extra AV cable laying around, connect the composite video and ground on the exp port and see if you get video that way.

I may have to try that. I've now tested the RF through an analog TV and tried to route it through the VCR. No go.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Western NTSC Tvs seem to be incompatible with japanese RF, I have read somewhere that some tvs sets have the option for switching to NTSC-J RF mode by accesing the service menu.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Going to Craig's tonight to test the pins for voltage and maybe make an A/V cable..

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Didn't work so well... couldn't find any voltage on the out...

But found 15.9 on the in...

And his power supply was putting out 16vdc ... it's a 9
volt power supply.

Fuck if I know...

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Western NTSC Tvs seem to be incompatible with japanese RF, I have read somewhere that some tvs sets have the option for switching to NTSC-J RF mode by accesing the service menu.

i've never had an issue on any tv/vcr that i've owned. you might have to change your tuning type from antenna to cable to get 95/96 to work. i've used both a famicom and a pc engine this way.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Didn't work so well... couldn't find any voltage on the out...

But found 15.9 on the in...

And his power supply was putting out 16vdc ... it's a 9
volt power supply.

Fuck if I know...

Time to crack that sucker open.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Check your polarity? PCE takes centre negative I believe...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Do you think I should try to get a different power supply?

If that PSU is putting out 16 volts it's gonna fry the voltage regulator if it doesn't pop the fuse first. Thankfully the thing uses a common fuse and common regulator so they can easily be sourced and replaced. You can use a Genesis 1, Super Famicom (not SNES) or 10v Neo power supply on it if you have any of them handy.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
The voltage regulator is able to take up to around 25V input but I doubt the PCE has adequate heat dissipation systems to cope with the additional heat the extra voltage will create if used for long periods. Not sure what the fuse is rated at. GohanX has suggested the best PSUs to use; try and get one of those to use the system for long periods.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There is very little cooling inside a PCE, just a heat sink basically, that runs alongside all the audio/video caps. Probably not a good thing to have running too hot!

The fuse is 2 or 3 amps, I forget exactly. It's a standard cylinder fuse that you have to solder.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Awesome thanks for the info. I'm going to try and score a genesis 1 PSU and see If i get anything.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Model 1 PSU is basically the most useful one you'll own for retro stuff. Handy if you switch systems a lot.